Amazon UK shipping cost!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by John B Good, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Nearly everything I look at these days has this 19 Pound shipping cost. Is this permanent?

2. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

That's odd; that was the situation for quite a few months when the UK wasn't allowing airmail. Everything was shipping by Amazon Global which was indeed about $18 shipping for one CD, but about two weeks ago, things I've ordered have returned to the usual £3.08 (about $4) shipping from UK to US. I don't know about to Canada however.

3. John B Good

Thanks. Must be a Canada thing. About time we became a republic anyhow.:)

BTW lots of 3rd party sellers on Amazon Canada ship things from Britain, and only charge 3.49 per disk.

4. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

The big problem we here in the US have is that Amazon Canada refuses to ship to us. This started about two years ago at least but wasn't a problem in prior years past. No problems with 3rd party dealers who list on there, but Amazon Canada themselves always put up a message about not being able to deliver to my address. Numerous conversations with their customer service always results in explanations like, "The item must not be licensed for sale in the US," but that's absurd, since I've tried it with new and old releases not to mention books and household items, and it's no problem ordering from Amazon in the UK, Germany, Japan etc. so I have no idea what the real issue is.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah getting the same postage costs quotes as are my friends. Looks to be a Canada thing right now. The rates to the US were high as well but, judging by some recent posts in other Amazon threads by US members, the rates have come back down to normal.

6. John B Good

Perhaps a bit related, but I had planned to send a Post Office MO in US dollars for the Forum Fund Appeal, and was told that the service was no longer available from Canada Post because too many Americans had difficulty cashing them at US post offices. :(

7. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Well, the shipping prices seem to be back to abnormal again, I assume because of the recent UK full lockdown. I just was going to order the upcoming new Strawbs CD due in February and the shipping was £14.47. The CD itself after deducting VAT was less than £10! When I ordered the Procol Harum - Something's Magic 2-CD Esoteric reissue just two months ago in November, shipping was £2.87, and the mid-era Fleetwood Mac 8-CD box set was only £3.08 in October. Customer service was unable to provide any explanation and said they'd research it and e-mail me.

8. John B Good

I tried to enquire of various levels of service bots as to why the price to Canada was so high but it was like messaging to a brick wall. A few days ago I used the un-subscribe feature to see if I could stop the Amazon UK arm from sending me emails of things I "might be interested in", with 19 Pound delivery fees.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I would check from time to time to see if they reduced the £19 charge but it seems to be a permanent feature now. Bit of a shame really as it's made any deals completely irrelevant price wise. I wonder if they are charging the same to the US.

10. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Yes, my message posted three above this is regarding shipping to the US (I live in California). Oddly, having just checked, the shipping on that same upcoming Strawbs CD has dropped slightly from £14.47 to £13.44, which is still an absurd $18.39 for one CD. I agree, I usually order a lot of things from them because Amazon in the US charges so much for imports that buying from Amazon in the UK — even with their normal shipping rates — is a much better deal, especially on box sets. At this point, I've totally stopped buying from Amazon UK until their shipping rates come back down to the £3.08 or so they usually are. If Amazon in the US is too pricey, I'm ordering more from ImportCDs since their prices are usually pretty good and shipping is $2.99 for a single disc.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.