What are generally the best versions of vinyl records to buy?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by arisuchan, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arisuchan

arisuchan Member Thread Starter

Should I usually look for the oldest pressings to avoid anything digital? For example, I’m looking to buy some of Can’s early 70’s output and Delay 1968, and some Stevie Wonder records.

2. I would use the search function of the Music Corner section of the general forum here for your specifics. The earliest Can’s are probably going to be expensive and not necessarily the best sounding. The Stevie Wonder’s should be pretty affordable.

Gregalor likes this.
  3. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

It’s really a case by case basis that requires a bit of homework. There are good reissues, they exist! Sometimes they’re even able to improve upon the original, and of course sometimes clean originals are hard to come by or prohibitively expensive.

Alan2 and zphage like this.
  4. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

The ones you can't find

5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Agreed. Some people will tolerate poor condition to get an original. I'd rather have a pristine reissue, if it's listenable. I'm listening to music up to 55 years old now, so mint copies must be hard to find.

6. whisaeri000

whisaeri000 Well-Known Member

It is all about if the reissue is mastered well using the original analog tapes imo.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

old vinyl is tough to buy sight unseen, you just don't know where its been or how its been treated.

8. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

I hope you are very wealthy ... ;)

9. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

ones that have been treated well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.