Harrison Ford - Non Franchise Movies - Whatcha seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Harrison Ford has been in many franchise movies over the years from the second Navarone movie, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Jack Ryan etc...

but what ones of his non franchise movies you seen? What ones are great? What ones are dreadful?

Select all you’ve seen

2. Aar Gal

I’ll start off by saying I’ve seen them all! Big fan!

3. Aar Gal

Just realized I missed Cowboys and Aliens!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

1. Hanover Street
    2. The Frisco Kid
    3. Witness
    4. The Mosquito Coast
    5. Frantic
    6. Working Girl
    7. Presumed Innocent
    8. Regarding Henry
    9. Sabrina
    10. The Devil’s Own
    11. Air Force One
    12. Six Days, Seven Nights
    13. Random Hearts
    14. What Lies Beneath
    15. K-19: The Widowmaker
    16. Hollywood Homicide
    17. Firewall
    18. Crossing Over
    19. Extraordinary Measures
    20. Morning Glory
    21. 42
    22. Paranoia
    23. Enders Game
    24. The Age of Adaline
    25. The Call of the Wild

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've seen (and own copies of) all them except Call of the Wild.

HF is one of my favourite actors, so I try to collect his entire filmography.

6. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I thought I'd seen them all but guess I missed a few. Big fan. Liked them all , except maybe Devil's Own.

All are good, but many of these films are superb . Witness is an absolute classic, wonderful story - combining a mystery thriller and a tender romance and a peek into a different culture- beautifully filmed too.

I have a soft spot for Random Hearts , a bit melancholy, but a good romantic tear jerker with a not too heartbreaking resolution. Nice pairing of Harrison and Kristin Scott -Thomas.

Two of my all time favorite films are Six Days, Seven Nights and Sabrina- never tire of rewatching them. Harrison plays such different roles , but to me, he's totally engaging , and the stories move like classic old time romantic comedies: bright repartee, memorable characters all around, and the type of satisfying ending we romantics dearly crave.

One I've liked that never seemed to be well regarded is K-19. In this current atmosphere of political landmines , I hesitate to mention it: but regardless of his country of origin , Harrison played an unlikely hero who , despite being an unyielding figure, learned to bend a little to support his shipmates. I believe this was based on a true story.

I've always gotten a kick out of Hollywood Homicide too - a cop comedy, I guess, with great cameos - not a blockbuster, but how can you NOT love a film that features Smokey Robinson as a cabbie? lol

Harrison's an icon for 'hero' films like Indy, Star Wars , Air Force 1 and even Blade Runner. But this list shows he' s also more than met the challenge of taking on all kinds of roles in all kinds of movies.

Btw They say that men want to be like him, and women want to be WITH him. As a gal with ( or without ) a guitar, I can agree that the latter is true :)

But one thing I've noticed in all these different movies is that somewhere, not too far along in the film, he does something that makes the viewer root for him, feel they're on his side and have empathy for the guy. Whether it's John Book or Dutch or Linus or 'Junior' Jones - you want to see these guys come out alright . I don't even know exactly when that happens in each movie - but it always does.

Don't know how he does it either.
    Could be talent.

Could be magic .

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    jamesc and Aar Gal like this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I understand there was a sequel (which his character wasn't in) but where's The Fugitive? As far as Harrison Ford is concerned I consider that a stand alone movie.

8. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

He also has a small but good supporting role in American Graffiti. If you haven't seen it, it is a classic. Of the films you listed, I would say Witness was my favorite.

Chip TRG and fr in sc like this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are we just talking about HF films in which he was the lead character, or does any film in which he appeared qualify?

Because there are plenty of other non-franchise titles missing from the list....

JackBnimble and Aar Gal like this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Regarding Henry is my favorite on this list.

I just saw Call of the Wild, and although I wouldn't say it is a great film, he does a great performance.

Side note: Gene Wilder had said John Wayne would have played Ford's part in Frisco Kid if he hadn't died.

11. Aar Gal

i just went for ones were he had a substantial role. Maybe i missed some, but you only get 25 spaces to fill anyway

12. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

Almost everything on this list I've seen.

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I think his best acting has been in Mosquito Coast (Which I don't think is a great movie) and 42. Honestly he's great in the 1st 2 Star Wars movies.

BTW he has had small roles in Apocalypse Now and The Conversation

fr in sc and Timothy Aborn like this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I bought "Cowboys and Aliens" last Summer at a thrift store and still haven't viewed it.

However, from your list, I have seen "Witness" and liked it.

Aar Gal likes this.
  15. Aar Gal

I liked Cowboys and Aliens well enough...I never understood why it was recieved so poorly

Rick Bartlett and Grand_Ennui like this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I thought he was great in Ender's Game. I didn't have high expectations for that movie and his performance was part of what made it better than I thought it would be.

Aar Gal likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

As I said, I still haven't viewed the copy I bought, so I have no opinion on it.

However, my *guess* as to why it wasn't so well received is because it was set in the old west, and I'm thinking people are really only accepting of aliens in movies if the films are in the style of "War of the Worlds" or something like that, meaning something set in more current times. I mean everyone knows if there are space aliens, that they never visited Earth before 1947 :).

18. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

One of the more underrated Harrison Ford performances of late, I believe, is Morning Glory. Ford and Diane Keaton are so good together I wanted the entire movie to be about them, not the demographically-targeted younger actors they got stuck sharing screen time with. While I'm at it, Ford pulled off a solid cameo in Anchorman 2.

Cowboys vs. Aliens? Count me in as someone who also doesn't understand the movie's reputation as a bust. To each their own, but I thought the movie delivered on what it promised - no more, no less - and had a terrific cast. Funny story - I think it was on Jon Favreau's Dinner for Five where Favreau discussed the lengthy process of finding the right hat for Harrison Ford for Cowboys vs. Aliens. Favreau didn't want a hat that would make people immediately think "Indiana Jones" but he also wanted a hat that was worthy of Ford, and suddenly a simple thing like "He's a cowboy, give him a hat" became a full on quest for the costume designer...

Aar Gal likes this.
  19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Small part, but don't forget he was in Apocalypse Now.

jwoverho likes this.
  20. Aar Gal

Yeah I liked Morning glory too. Didn’t think I would but HF was great in it. Also liked Extraordinary Measures more than I expected.

21. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I liked him in Mornng Glory too. Fun film.

22. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

He also had a small, but pivotal, role in The Conversation starring Gene Hackman, directed by Franics Ford Coppola. His second relatively high-visibility role, after American Graffiti.

23. Did you really "miss" Cowboys and Aliens, or was that more a measure of endurance? :D

24. Aar Gal

I like the movie..but missed it from the list

25. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Of your list, I like Witness the most. I was at the 30th Street Train Station in Philadelphia the day they shot the murder scene in the men's room. I had completed a number of bank business calls that day, finished early and was waiting for my train back to NYC. I was looking at some magazines at the newsstand and walking up next to me is Harrison Ford also looking for magazines. I said hi and so did he. Strangely we were both dressed in a tan summer suit with matching blue tie. I said I like your taste in clothing. He smiled and nodded while looking at a Time magazine. I then saw an Indiana Jones magazine on a lower shelf with him on the cover (of course) and thought about having him sign it but someone called him back for more shooting and he quickly left.

A little later, I saw Kelly McGillis and Lucas Haas in their Amish outfits plus the filmed scene where they wheeled out the body out of the men's room.
    Here is a photo from the train station but I did not see this being filmed.

[​IMG]

jbmcb, Timothy Aborn and Aar Gal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.