Nancy Sinatra Reissue Campaign via Light In The Attic [Coming 2021]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FJFP, Oct 8, 2020.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast Thread Starter

Light In the Attic teased a collaboration with Nancy Sinatra earlier this year, but with the announcement of the RSD Black Friday list, it seems some details are finally being shed on the whole thing:

"Light in the Attic Records is proud to honor the enduring legacy of singer, actress, activist, and cultural icon Nancy Sinatra, who recently entered her eighth decade and sixth as a worldwide household name and a force for positive cultural change both at home and abroad. LITA will pay homage to Sinatra’s pioneering music career with a selection of archival releases and full–album reissues throughout 2021 and beyond. First though… LITA’s Nancy Sinatra Archival Series will kick off on Black Friday 2020 with a limited edition 7” single featuring one of the 20th century’s greatest recordings, “Some Velvet Morning” on the A-side, while the flip includes a cover of The Kinks’ classic “Tired Of Waiting For You.” Stay tuned for much more to follow, including a definitive new collection entitled Start Walkin’ 1965–1976, which will be available in 2021."

I for one would love to see a definitive collection of the albums in both their mono and stereo mixes, especially for Boots and How Does That Grab You?, and even better, a Past Masters type volume of non LP cuts (definitely in mono please). Also very curious for the 'Archival' part. Lots to get excited about.

And even better, it looks as though it will be spread out over time - a little easier on the budget.

For now, the RSD Black Friday tease looks pretty fun - I just wish the RSD 45s weren't so expensive, but so be it.

You can find the whole page here: Nancy Sinatra - Some Velvet Morning b/w Tired Of Waiting For You | Light In The Attic Records

[​IMG]

2. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Great news.. and hasn't she recently entered her ninth decade...:shh:

3. S0NG4U

S0NG4U Well-Known Member

Really Excited for this! It was announced in June that there was a project in the works but no news until today!

It suggests multiple releases. "Start Walkin' 1966-1976" being described as a "Definitive New Collection"... will this be a single disc compilation or a full blown boxed set? Any ideas for what the Archival Series will be?

Man at C&A and FJFP like this.
  4. FJFP

Technically you are correct - but I guess it sounded better :winkgrin:

johnnybrum likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Thanks for posting the information! :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

Nancy’s “Boots” album was the first album I bought many, many, MANY years ago that set me on my OCD music collecting path!

Can’t wait to see what LITA does!

Now if only someone would release the Morrissey championed album...

JDeanB, Andrew J, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  6. pghmusiclover

What I meant to say was: Now if only someone would release the Morrissey championed album on vinyl...

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I won't lie, with my wife and I both being huge fans of "Some Velvet Morning", that 45 would look ultra cool spinning in my wife's Rockola Princess (1962 model 1493) Jukebox. Sadly, with a low pressing of only 2,000 copies, the chances of my actually owning a copy seems unlikely, especialy with the RSD flippers always ruining these releases.

As for Nancy being re-issued ... Great news for those that missed out on the Sundazed reissues (I have most of them). The only thing that I would really welcome at this point, is a complete MONO singles set on CD, with a and b sides included!

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The Sundazed issues sounded more than wonderful, but were sadly only the stereo LP mixes. The mono LPs were super solid mixes and can thankfully still be found relatively cheaply.

Minouche, AaronW and bluemooze like this.
  9. FJFP

This is something I would love even more than a non-LP cuts collection - especially as other wise such a collection would only really be missing a couple of key tracks.

I think the real benefit here would be a proper re-issue finally of Nancy & Lee (+ Again) on CD. I'd love a box with it all in, Mono & Stereo [They'd all fit on the same CD], and a glorious book to go along with it. There's not enough hi-res photos of Nancy in this period online for my liking, and I bet there's a large amount we haven't seen. I'd love to know the timeline of it all too - it really was churned out when you look at the release dates of it all! Crazy stuff.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well I hope that you get your wishes, although I doubt that Nancy will allow them to release them this way? If I've learned anything about Nancy Sinatra, it's that she knows how to milk a catalog for each and every last drop of whatever it has to offer. Of course, when you are one of the people who gets final say on a catalog of say, someone like her father then milking seems somewhat a given, but I'm really not so sure just how many people in 2020 still care about Nancy's catalog, but I guess we will soon find out? I always say, hope for what you REALLY want to be released first, because if what THEY choose doesn't sell enough, it is doubtful that the rest will ever get released.

lou a and Jarleboy like this.
  12. pghmusiclover

I would love a vinyl release for the third volume of Nancy & Lee (which I think was only released in Australia in 2004 or thereabouts, and which includes a wonderful version of Kacey Chambers "Barricades & Brickwalls").

I hope they reissue the vinyl albums with bonus discs to include the non-album singles released at the time.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  13. S0NG4U

S0NG4U Well-Known Member

She has discussed in the past her desire to have a 3-CD set released called "Nancy & Lee - For The Record" containing all three duets albums along with bonus tracks. Last I heard of that they were looking for someone to pick it up.

"Mel & Nancy", her album of duets with Mel Tillis from the early 80's, really needs remastering and being made available on streaming at the very least. Unfortunately, Mel's estate owns the rights to that album - not Nancy who wants to see it reissued.

14. pghmusiclover

Honestly, Nancy is not the only artist to do this as evidenced by re-re-re-re-reissues of certain titles by certain artists ad nauseum!

RSteven likes this.
  15. S0NG4U

S0NG4U Well-Known Member

I thought the reissues on the Nancy Sinatra front had been pretty sparse? There were the original albums from the 60's reissued by SUNDAZED in the 90's - missing out other albums such as "Woman" from 1973, aside from the albums being digitized for streaming, what else has there been?

phillyal1, cwitt1980, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That's my impression as well. There have been quite a few compilations, but far fewer than many other recording artists' catalogs have seen.

17. The Light In The Attic streamer on the above link calls The Kinks song ‘Tired of Being Alone’ :rolleyes: C’mon, at least get the song title right!

18. pghmusiclover

I think Chris C was referring to her fathers' catalogue as well...

Chris C and S0NG4U like this.
  19. FJFP

I think even Nancy knows that, outside of These Boots and more recently Some Velvet Morning, there isn't a market for her music to the same degree of her father's, though it certainly has grown over the last few years (which would include myself). A proper compilation out there would be nice though - I've never found one that completely satifies imo.

20. pghmusiclover

I am happy to see the years of the upcoming Start Walkin’ 1965–1976 compilation would include her two RCA albums.

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

So I guess I'm out of the loop...why is SOME VELVET MORNING getting modern exposure?

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

So Nancy Sinatra posted an image to her Instagram story of the Some Velvet Morning cover with the “Velvet” crossed out and the word “Wednesday” written above it. Light in the Attic then shared this image to their Instagram story with a thinking emoji and a countdown to midnight on Wednesday. So clearly something is being announced in a couple days.

FJFP and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hmm,

I don't know what to make of this. I've been hoping that Andrew Batt gets to work on Nancy's catalogue and he produces a similar box set to his sublime Bobbie Gentry one, which was incredibly successful. It doesn't seem likely now.

On the other hand, I would welcome a complete Reprise singles & non album tracks compilation. I have nice condition copies of all her Reprise albums so I won't be buying those again.

RSteven, FJFP and Shawn like this.
  24. pghmusiclover

I’m thinking that Nancy was probably pleased with the work they’ve done on Lee’s catalogue, so she opted to go with them to handle her reissue project.

phillyal1, RSteven, john hp and 5 others like this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They did do a fantastic job and tend to with just about all they do. Great company.

JoeRockhead, RSteven, john hp and 3 others like this.