Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Paul “spontaneously” and “randomly” chooses two members of the audience to come up on stage with him. This is one of my favorite videos. Both girls happen to be wearing matching shirts. Paul asks: “Who here has been bullied?” Or something like that. Two handpicked girls with matching shirts near the front of the stage raise their hands. Gotta love it.

Paul is my favorite musician ever, second only to the Beatles as an entity. Multitalented.

That he knows how to promote unashamedly is a strength. Down to matching tee shirts bearing the titles of the singles off his new album.

Paul offset John well during interviews in the early days. You say goodbye and I say hello. He won people over with his smile, charm, desire to be liked, and diplomacy. John won people over with his sharp wit and refreshingly hard hitting honesty. (Until he didn’t...)

Capitol hasn’t lost their knack for smart marketing. What a great team Paul and Capitol have been. The Meet The Beatles and The Beatles Second album covers tell the story. Like a Sixties Batman show: “Wham! Pow! Kaboom! Our fearless heroes do it again! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!” Unabashedly and unequivocally on board. With little restraint or subtlety. Hey, we NEED a break from the real world.

https://youtu.be/zB6TG1gqY88

2. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

I'm guessing Thursday at that time

3. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

THIS. :righton:

4. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Like this post if you enjoy Wings and solo MacCa more than The Beatles.

:hide:

Mkirk, beatlesfan9091 and JDeanB like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He randomly got a female audience member on stage at the show in Montreal. Asked her name, the answer was "Yoko", Paul was taken aback and asked "Really?".

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Then Paul’s next song was “Get Back”. Timing is everything.

7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Like father like son. (Paul just sent me a text asking me to like your post.)

It’s a real tug_of_war and source of great inner conflict. Choosing Paul on the one hand means not choosing him and the Beatles.

Sorry. Advantage Paul and the Beatles. With solo Paul and Wings a respectful honorable mention. Plus a Lifetime Award for a lifetime of greatness.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    tug_of_war likes this.
  8. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Fascinating discussions about who will handle Paul’s legacy. I have it on good authority that Mary is destined to handle the MPL photo archive and James is destined to handle the audio archive.

Something else I would like to share is that during lockdown sessions for McCartney III Paul worked on 11 new songs and 14 older unreleased songs. 4 of them were instrumentals. I’m not sure how many of them have made the album and which they are.

Please don’t shoot the messenger! :)

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Ringo 5 you mean, we've already had Ringo the 4th

omikron, ARK, AlienGirlWorx and 3 others like this.
  10. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Paul is doing a good job of reissuing his catalog so I assume in the future nothing more would be done except for 'Anniversary' compilations.
    So Paul has taken care of his future in terms of how he would like his music to be heard and seen.
    I wish I knew how music will be listened to and sold 50 years from now.

DRM likes this.
  11. EgyptStationHolland

EgyptStationHolland Forum Resident

Fascinating. What will happen with all those songs, will it be a double album? And how do you know this

Elliottmarx and vince like this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I can see Mary handling the photo archive but James seems to have no involvement with anything. He’s never specifically thanked in the credits of the archives like Mary and even Stella are usually and even though he played on Flaming Pie he wasn’t even interviewed for the book. I get the impression James doesn’t care much for the spotlight anyway so unless he is really behind the scenes, I can’t see him wanting to handle the archives in the future and deal with a bunch of rabid Macca fans that will blame him for every perceived mishandling of his father’s legacy.

13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That’s fantastic news Yorick, thank you for sharing ! It sounds like a very productive time for Paul.

Elliottmarx, Who Cares and DRM like this.
  14. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

Maybe, but the announcement with the teasing was made a Friday and a lot of announcement are made on Friday :)

ARK, ehwalled and tug_of_war like this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

True. I can imagine Mary and Stella taking care of those things in the future, but not James.

Paperback Writer and Who Cares like this.
  16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Dental implant radios with music uploaded to one’s teeth? ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Olivier Northern Son likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I hadn't heard about the instrumentals - but I think that's good news! I'd also heard that same breakdown about new songs vs. "completed" (older) songs. I didn't want to share it previously because I figured:
    1. It's very unlikely (IMO) we'll see all 25 of these songs, even on a theoretical deluxe reissue (ala the expanded New and Egypt - Explorer's versions).
    2. I have no idea how many songs will be included on the album - with that kind of breakdown it could be ALL new songs, for example (although I doubt that would happen).
    3. Who knows whether the "finished" songs were already circulating (ala the instrumental that became Frank Sinatra's Party)? They might be things we recognize - hence my callout to cb70 in an earlier post - or they might be things that have been locked down previously (21st century works, for the most part).
    Still, it's good to hear that info sounds legitimate!

18. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

There were also about 23/24 songs for the session of Egypt Station, as far as I remembered and only a single album, I think here, for McCartney III it's gonna be maybe 15 on a regular album and maybe 17 on an extra version (that will be out the same day) and some extra songs over the months and years for next released of the album like Egypt Station and so: let's say 17 + 2 songs for a latter version of the album and 3 for another use so would make 22 songs and 3 left

omikron, Tord and tug_of_war like this.
  19. What! You don’t have them yet?
    Got mine when Egypt Station was released - “The Matching Teeth” model. :)

• [​IMG]

Monasmee likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I keep reading the thread title as McCartney ill!

Sends a shudder through me.

AlexZimmerman likes this.
  21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If he wants to keep building on those ~1976 instrumental demos, by all means, go ahead.

omikron, AlienGirlWorx and theMess like this.
  22. I can see James as being involved in the music project - but more behind the scenes - rather than a “lead dog”.

jesse, foxylady and tug_of_war like this.
  23. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Illinois was never like this! ;)

ARK, ConnieGuitar, Alen and 4 others like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I felt that “Frank Sinatra’s Party” was one of the stand-out tracks of the “Egypt Station” sessions and would love to hear more work along those lines.

It will be fascinating to see if the album captures any of the same sense of loose experimentation that the previous eponymous albums had.