Films where they got exactly the right actor

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sordel, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Redford and Hoffman as Woodward and Bernstein, in All The President's Men

2. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I always thought Val Kilmer did Doc Holiday as if William Powell was doing him.

3. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there.

Juan Matus and Scope J like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Magic-Anthony Hopkins

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  5. Michael

he was fabulous! I'll be you're huckleberry! the best line ever!

6. Michael

Sylvester Stallone-The Rocky Franchise...

7. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Dennis Hopper - Blue Velvet

Sterling Hayden - Dr. Strangelove

Michael Madsen - Reservoir Dogs

8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

This is what I was going to post. Very underappreciated film and performance.

I'll add Malcolm McDowall in "A Clockwork Orange". Impossible to see any other actor in that role.

buzzzx and Borgia like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

But it was true that judge already decided the case outcome long before the trial. Inexcusable, unfair, and sadly typical and uncomfortably reflective of contemporary times. So I will respectfully disagree with you on that end.

spencer1 likes this.
  10. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

What immediately came to mind was:
    1. The Bourne Identity - Matt Damon
    2. Amelie - Audrey Tautou

11. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Kevin Costner as Crash Davis. Perfect age for the role. Very believable as a minor leaguer - the right build for 80s baseball and very athletic, and had a unique cockiness in a funny and wise sort of way, which goes with Costner's dry wit personality (especially if you've ever seen some of his interviews). The chemistry he had with Robbins and Sarandon sold the film as one of the best sports movies of all-time.

That arrogance Costner is able to bring to role fits the final scene between Crash and Nuke, with Crash giving him final piece of advice: “You be cocky and arrogant, even when you’re getting beat. That’s the secret. You gotta play this game with fear and arrogance.”

The backstory: "Though Costner already had been cast as the lead, he insisted on proving to Shelton that he could actually mash. After downing a couple of vodkas together one afternoon, the director and star headed to a miniature golf course on Van Nuys Boulevard in Los Angeles. Tucked between fake castles and an arcade was a batting cage. “We put a bunch of quarters in the slot,” Shelton said. Costner, who played high school baseball, proceeded to hit from both sides of the plate. He and Shelton next played catch in the parking lot. “People were walking by him all the time,” the latter said. “They didn’t know who he was yet.”

12. But nobody gnaws on the scenery like Pacino.

"Eye wan' my jooman rice!"

"We go ta war."

I'm pondering who ever did a convincing role as a Cuban, anyway. Anyone in The Godfather trilogy? Nobody rises to mind.

Matthew Tate and Bingo Bongo like this.
  13. I was damn near a wannabe baby Yippie as a teenager in 1972. But upon review of the primary source material, and after considerable pondering and reflection, I've gotten to share that opinion. Judge Julius Hoffman was a very patient man, and not without wit of his own. It was simply displayed more drily than the adolescent antics of some of the defendants.

I do think Julius should have granted Bobby Seale's request for his own lawyer right off, without putting him through all the drama. But as for Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman- sure, tie them both to chairs and gag them, instead of Seale. The baseline narrative of the prosecution case was terrible, though. "Conspiracy"? Conspiracy requires some amount of commonly agreed organization. The Chicago 7/8 had neither common participation or recognizable organization.

The Jerry&Abbie "guerilla theater" show had its moments. But it set a bad precedent, or maybe it drew on bad precedents. And tactically, their counterparts on the other extreme have proved all too able at doing their own version. Although in either case, in terms of popular appeal it gets to be self-marginalizing very fast. And as for effective results, nothing. Except, perhaps, in terms of enshrinement in ideologically partisan mythology.

Well, daggone it, I done digressed again.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Sordel likes this.
  14. Philip Seymour Hoffman, as Bachman in A Most Wanted Man

Jack Black in High Fidelity

Kim Bassinger in LA Confidential

Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart

LilacTeardrop and vegafleet like this.
  15. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I don't see that at all.

Although there are a couple of movies where William Powell is exactly the right actor. The Thin Man for one.

I don't see Val Kilmer as The Thin Man. Nor anyone else.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes"
    Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry"
    John Wayne in "The Shootist"

17. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

just re-watched it, i agree, also the supporting cast, esp martin balsam, jack warden, perfect weathered newspaper men

Phil147 and bmasters9 like this.
  18. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in "Ed Wood"

Scowl, Greg Gee, Pete Puma and 5 others like this.
  19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm a big fan of The Talented Mr. Ripley, where I think every single actor gives the best performance of their career: Matt Damon, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jude Law, Cate Blanchett, Jack Davenport, Philip Baker Hall but especially Gwyneth Paltrow (an actor whom I don't generally rate) who managed to find just the right blend of self-assurance, fragility and anxiety. The movie is pretty much a masterclass in casting.

20. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Don't forget Jason Robards as Ben Bradlee as well. Another perfect casting, although apparently the real Ben Bradlee had wanted George C. Scott to play him...

21. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

i figured he was a given! lol all the bit parts are really good too

Phil147 likes this.
  22. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Everyone in Kubrick's version of Lolita. Especially Peter Sellers.

SomeCallMeTim and rikki nadir like this.
  23. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Respectfully, baloney.
    It was an example of egregious judicial bias from the get go. One decision from the bench after another favoring the prosecution. From disallowing Ramsey Clark’s testimony to allowing Mayor Daley’s but limiting the defense’s questioning of him.
    “Very patient man” is the last thing I would use to describe Hoffman. Incredibly biased would be more accurate.

There’s a reason all of the convictions and contempt citations were reversed and thrown out.
    The Seventh Circuit found “deprecatory and often antagonistic attitude toward the defense is evident in the record from the very beginning. It appears in remarks and actions both in the presence and the absence of the jury”.

In the end Hoffman refused to retire and had to be removed from the bench. Big surprise.

In 1972 I was a voting member of society with a brother just returned from Vietnam. I was very politically aware and glued to the show.
    Like all humans I had bias of my own but I wasn’t on the Bench where bias is supposed to be put away.
    Hoffman didn’t even pretend to put bias away, he showed contempt for the defense from the beginning.

I do love John Prine name checking him in “Illegal Smile”.
    Screw Hoffman, he got the legacy he deserved.

Now back to the movies ... ;)

24. Jerry and Abbie made it easy for him. They acted like they were guilty, when they weren't. The contempt was mutual. In their case, not just personal contempt, contempt for the "Amerikan" judicial system. The system that eventually overturned their convictions, in point of fact. I think that the American court system has an uneven track record, and it's gotten overloaded to the point of committing ghastly abuses. But not in their case. I don't think it's whatboutism to point out that the Chicago 7 got a more fair and public trial with more civil liberties protections than they would have received in a lot of other countries I could name.

It was a circus, okay. And yes, the bottom line is that they were not guilty of the charges.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

One of the most criminally underrated or unknown movies. Terrific through and through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.