QUADIO Doobie Brothers box set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

Just ordered from importcds along with the Wildflower 4 cd set. I put in TENOFF as a promo code and got 10% off. Hope this helps.

Mark_TB, JeffreyB, mestreech and 2 others like this.
  2. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Thanks

3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! Just purchased it!

JeffreyB likes this.
  4. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Do you guys think there will be a chance to buy these albums individually in a near future or not ?

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That's not how Rhino works. Over the years, their box sets have not been made available as separate discs.

6. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Thanks Simon !

Simon A likes this.
  7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You may want to start a WTB thread in the Classifieds. Perhaps someone would be willing the break out their set.

8. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I can understand Rhino not wanting to sell individual titles and keep the boxes as special items, but a solo Chicago IX quad would have been nice at this point for people who missed the original box.

I imagine their license doesn’t allow that, though.

9. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

License?

marcb likes this.
  10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Terrific release. T Street is phenomenal, as is Captain, although I prefer the DVD Audio. The other albums are well done, although I’m not a huge fan of them. That said, buy this box set

Audiowannabee likes this.
  11. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Wrong term? Or total lack of knowledge of how things work? (Or both?)

I’m assuming (and happy to be corrected) that when something like this comes out, it’s limited in that they can’t just keep making new boxes for decades and decades. I made that jump in (faulty?) logic because that’s what I’ve heard about MoFi releases.

Am I incorrect, and Rhino could do whatever they wanted with these quad recordings like sell them individually down the line if they wanted?

12. Steel Woole

In theory, yes, Rhino can do as it pleases with the catalog it controls (pending artist approvals of course) providing the specific product "pencils out."

Shawn, marcb, ispace and 2 others like this.
  13. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

But also in theory no.
    It depends on the contract Rhino has which is not public so no one knows.

14. jeffreybh

edit, since you are Steel Woole we will assume you have inside knowledge of the contract and so will accept your comment as factual :righton:

Simon A likes this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm a minor Doobie Brothers fan having owned Minute By Minute on vinyl as a child compliments of Columbia House. Yet I appreciate their singles and place in rock and roll history. Although I didn't necessarily plan on picking this one up, I'm a huge fan of surround presentations and having a desire to dive more into this band, I bought this box from a forum member. All I can say is...

WOW!

These mixes can sound great or sometimes transcend all that came before. I call those "revelatory".

Doobie Brothers Quadio is revelatory.

Not only does it reveal so much nuance in the music, it is a revelation in sonic enjoyment with sounds dancing tastefully around your array of speakers.

And I'm only 2/3 the way through Toulouse Street. I've got some serious listening ahead of me!

16. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I got burned out on the Doobies back in the 70s when my roommate played the albums over and over and over again. But the reviews here convinced me to give this set a shot...and I'm glad I did. Even on my modest system the quad mix sounds excellent and the songs that I had grown tired of have had new life breathed into them. For the price (the Rhino discount code still worked as of 10 days ago) it's definitely a great buy.

17. jeffreybh

I've made this comment in another thread but if you even have a passing interest in Multichannel (which in my definiation includes Quad, 5.1, Atmos, etc) and also have at least a passing interest in the Doobie Bother's music, then this is a no brainer you need to purchase. The price is very reasonable and the content not just musically, but Multichannel mix wise is revelatory. Bonus is if you are on the fence, decide it wasn't worth your Money, then simply wait 9 to 12 months and double your money reselling it on eBay or Discogs...Just ask anyone that is interested in the prior Chicago Quadio release...

18. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I posted the above comment on page one of this thread over two and a half years ago. I got the Quadio box today, following its general release yesterday. It's just fantastic. An absolute joy that I know will continue to reward on repeat listens for many years. Magnificent.

ispace, jeffreybh and Simon A like this.
  19. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

This must have been covered before, but I couldn't find an answer through the search function, apologies. Do you know if the stereo layers in 24/192 use the same mastering as the 2016 remasters? Thanks

20. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

This is an awesome release. I am on the second play of the box and it does not disappoint.

21. Steel Woole

No. Craig Anderson pulled the 192/24 archived flat masters and mastered from those.

Shawn, ispace, PTgraphics and 3 others like this.
  22. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Thank you. I guess I'll find out which ones are the go-to versions :)

23. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I've ripped one of the four discs on this new quadio box set. Comparing DR numbers with what I've found on the database, I came to the conclusion that the 2016 and the 2020 remasters are the same, at least for Toulouse St. A quick check through Audacity also reveals almost identical EQ, and the differences are mainly given by the different resolution I guess.

Code:
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR10      -0.09 dB   -12.04 dB      4:48 01-Listen To The Music (2016 Remastered)
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -11.74 dB      3:24 02-Rockin' Down The Highway (2016 Remastered)
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -13.11 dB      2:31 03-Mamaloi (2016 Remastered)
    DR13      -2.33 dB   -18.19 dB      3:21 04-Toulouse Street (2016 Remastered)
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -13.03 dB      3:43 05-Cotton Mouth (2016 Remastered)
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -12.06 dB      2:44 06-Don't Start Me To Talkin' (2016 Remastered)
    DR11      -0.09 dB   -12.98 dB      4:36 07-Jesus Is Just Alright With Me (2016 Remastered)
    DR11      -2.33 dB   -16.46 dB      2:32 08-White Sun (2016 Remastered)
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -12.76 dB      6:45 09-Disciple (2016 Remastered)
    DR13      -1.15 dB   -17.46 dB      1:35 10-Snake Man (2016 Remastered)
    This code is from here: Album details - Dynamic Range Database
    And below it's my rip:

Code:
    Analyzed: The Doobie Brothers / Toulouse Street (2020 Remaster) [FLAC 24-192]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -12.03 dB      4:47 01-Listen to the Music
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -11.74 dB      3:22 02-Rockin' Down the Highway
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -13.11 dB      2:33 03-Mamaloi
    DR13      -2.33 dB   -18.13 dB      3:20 04-Toulouse Street
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -13.08 dB      3:47 05-Cotton Mouth
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -12.05 dB      2:43 06-Don't Start Me Talkin'
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -13.03 dB      4:36 07-Jesus Is Just Alright
    DR11      -2.33 dB   -16.46 dB      2:31 08-White Sun
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -12.91 dB      6:58 09-Disciple
    DR13      -1.16 dB   -17.72 dB      1:39 10-Snake Man

JediJoker and ispace like this.
  24. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I just ordered it.

I love the Chicago Quadio box and looking at ebay I see its going for at least 3x what I paid for it. So don't wait.

EDIT: I'm "back reading" this thread. I can't believe there is debate about this being a 'remaster' or not. Seriously? Of course it's a remaster. It's not about the format it's currently being presented on (Blu-ray) - they went back and remastered the original quad tapes. Even if this were re-released on 8-track it would be a remaster! Jeez.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    ispace and Simon A like this.
  25. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Yep. I’m tired of arguing with the stupid people on Discogs about this. Hopefully someone else will put the Remaster flag back on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.