Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Just played my CDN red label II again and it is dangerously close to the RL. Mid range being a bit more balanced, and Plants vocals being a bit less forward.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:D

3. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Thanks guys for your contribution. This confirms my first intuition. The price also does not seem to match the market. A near mint pressing is now trading above $ 500 I imagine? Maybe the seller thinks it is actually RL pressing, but he is wrong. I will write to him to ask him if there are the initials of Robert Ludwig in the dead wax?

Giorgio and Slick Willie like this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Can’t chime in too comprehensively here but I will say my Classic III and RL HOTH are among the best sounding and most fun-to-listen-to records I own!

maui jim, tmtomh and ODShowtime like this.
  6. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi Doc!:tiphat:

That's what I was thinking too. Strange announcement. I asked the seller to post pictures of the matrix. We will see...?!:whistle:

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Did he advertise it as an RL?

Yep, he sure did...liar liar pants on fire.

Wide deadwax, wrong inner sleeve, and an N stamper letter...all the things the good people of this thread have already pointed out.

I would date this pressing around 1971 or 72.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Old Forester 100 proof.

[​IMG]

Sci-Fi Kid, AllenR and seaisletim like this.
  9. john lennonist

Does the 2014 CD of III closely match the sound of the 2015 LP?

tmtomh likes this.
  10. john lennonist

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Correction on the date...if this is the correct inner sleeve it would need to be dated after July of 1972 (ELP Trilogy).

12. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I'll agree with that for sure! The Classic III is the most detailed I've ever heard that album. I would add the Classic Presence to that as well.

13. Christophe Lethimonnier

I'm waiting for his answer. To be patient, a colleague lent me one of the first French pressings. These are quite famous because of the very cool "Super group" label. I wonder how that sounds?

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

14. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Sorry, I don’t know about the CD. I have the Classic III LP also and reckon the 2014 (or was it 2015) pips it for detail and vibe. Best I’ve heard it.

15. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi guys,

I received the seller's response four days ago now.

So here is his answer:

"Hi no rl in dead wax. "

Since then, he still hasn't edit his ad ... but offered me a discount !? :D

Giorgio and Dr. Funk like this.
  16. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi guys,

I received the seller's response four days ago now.

So here is his answer:

"Hi no rl in dead wax. "

Since then, he still hasn't edit his ad ... but offered me a discount !?

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Sounds like he's holding out hope for a sucker. Not a bad strategy these days as there are plenty around these parts.

18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Not to go off topic but I of course have a huge Sabbath collection and the Attention (Vol. 1) is one of the most fantastic alive sounding Sabbath discs I own.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes.

In my experience there are two basic types of Zep III masterings: a brighter, more detailed type of mastering, and a warmer, more rolled-off type of mastering.

Examples of the brighter, more detailed presentation are the original UK Plum label LP (the famous A5/B5 pressing), the Classic Records reissue from the early 2000s, and the 2014 John Davis-mastered reissue CD and LP.

Examples of the more rolled-off, warmer presentation are the famed red-label Canadian first-press LP, and the 1980s Barry Diamond-mastered CD.

Personally I prefer the brighter presentation, and my favorite is the 2014 reissue, although the Classic and UK Plum are excellent too. (I know some here might be appalled that I would describe the original, all-analogue UK Plum as "excellent too" when they consider it axiomatic that the first press must sound better than the digital-cut reissue. To each their own - this is just my preference.)

For the warmer presentation, the Canadian red label can't be beat. The Diament CD is a distant second in that department.

20. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I think the classic records of LZ III gets the most controversial reviews. I heard some people like the In-grooves owner mike once said I and III are probably the best in their series, but many regards classic records III as the worst. Personally I like it very much, with tight clear bass and great clarity and details hardly to find in other pressings, and not that bright as some criticized as unlistenable. The acoustic parts of the album really benefits from the clean and quiet pressing. Wish to hear an original UK plum or Canadian TG pressings someday.

As for classic records of LZ I, I found the early broadway AT/GP pressings easily beats it, it just rocks more. And it costs me half the price of the classic records.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well it was an expensive Discogs weekend guys! I've ordered the following to supplement my ever growing Zeppelin collection:

German 1/2 Ludwig of Zeppelin II- supposedly NM/NM for around $50 ships from Serbia??- hopefully I'll get it!!
    1970 Spanish Zeppelin III HATS 421-56- this comes highly recommended on here so I'm gonna roll with it. Around $65 in VG+/VG+ (graded conservatively) I do love the warm fuzzy sound of my early US original though.
    1977 Presswell Zeppelin II- again comes highly recommended on here so pretty much had to get it. I love the crushing in your face sound on the 2014 but I needed a better older one.

I'm considering another Physical Graffiti although I do really like my early US version even with a bit of crackle here and there. I also might consider another Zeppelin I but the 1969 Club edition I have sounds truly fantastic. I'm not exactly sure how it could be improved on. I have the original US and Japanese versions of Presence and Song remains The Same that are really fantastic too so I think I'm set there.

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It was probably answered somewhere in this long incredible thread but are the '69 and '73 German Zeppelin II one sided Ludwig's similar in sound quality? I bought the '73 version only to hear side one and what all the fuss is about so I'm hoping it's similar or the same. Cool that a few folks found the original RL cut for $10 in record stores by I myself don't really get out to used stores much and figured half the album for $50 is better than nothing at all!

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I 100% support your position and have built a collection (mostly through Discogs) with pressings from all around the world. Many times what I've found is that there are certain ones that definitely go against the prevailing generalizations like "all vinyl pressed in Greece is crap or all Japanese vinyl is thin bright crap..." I've got a fantastic G 'n R Use Your Illusion from Greece, an excellent Aerosmith Get a Grip from Brazil, awesome Neil Young Time Fades Away from Spain and many great Japanese, South Korean, and German pressings. Mostly though I just like the experimentation factor, lol! Now I want a Canadian III, an Italian II, and a South African I, lol damn it!!!

24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Man I just got a '76 Pioneer Japanese IV in the mail and the price was right, it looks great, got the OBI, but no Japanese lyric sheet! The listing said it was there, but all I have is the Stairway inner that is in every copy the world over. I figured I might have to stick a US inner in there for completeness but I don't have any extra Japanese lyric sheets! For shame. This is a dark day.

I will probably stick it in with the rest of the Japanese copies, be happy about the OBI and just pretend like I don't have a useless piece of incomplete garbage sitting on my shelf.

Cognitive dissonance, it's what we do here!

Anyone have an extra Japanese lyric sheet for IV?

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I've seen just the lyric sheets for sale online...maybe you can find one for a couple of bucks.