THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

As I was poking about searching for something on the Elex-r I had read, I realised that there wasn't a Rega appreciation thread!
    I know lots of us love our Rega gear, so let's hear about it! Let's see pics of it! Share tips and tricks to get the most out of it! It would be nice to have a central thread for Rega gear.
    I represent the lower end of the Rega line, with the Brio-r, Dac-r, Fono mk3, and P2 turntable. I have listened and auditioned to tons of equipment in this price range and while many do things right, I feel like I've found the sweet spot for sound with the Rega gear. Warm but not bloated, detailed without harshness, it's gear that I can listen to for hours without fatigue. Love me some Rega! :righton:[​IMG]

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

My first Rega turntable was a Goldring GR 1.2. I bought it from Audio Advisor in 2006. It came with a Goldring Elektra cartridge. While setting it up, I told myself not to expect too much as it only cost $299. Hard to imagine now. It had the Rega RB250 tonearm, and an MDF platter. I could not believe how good it sounded. That turntable was stolen back in 2009. In 2012, I believe, I bought a Rega RP1. I wanted an Ortofon Quintet Blue as I wanted to try a LOMC and my NAD C162 preamp has MC inputs. I did not want to mount the Ortofon on the RB110 tonearm so I had that replaced with the RB202. I got totally caught up in upgrade fever. By the time I was done upgrading, only the dust cover and plinth had not been swapped out. The end result sounds nothing like the original RP1. I could describe the RP1 as sounding light and lively. But my sample ran much too fast. After all of the upgrades, the turntable sounds like a masterful, heavyweight turntable. It reminds me of a very good reel to reel tape deck at 7.5 ips. I did not do all of the upgrades at once. Currently, I like the P2 for its simplicity. I am so glad that Rega got rid of the fixed antiskate. Some will argue with me of course, but I think it cost Rega more in lost customers than they saved with the fixed antiskate. I will buy a turntable with no antiskate but I will not buy a turntable with fixed antiskate.
    My Rega is 'beyond' a P2 in features and performance but I do really like and would consider the P6. I am not into the skeletal look of the P8 and P1o although I do realize that they outperform the P6. I hope that this thread remains positive and free from Rega 'bashing'.

3. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I like Rega, and I don't even own anything (yet), lol. I've been thinking about a new system for my room (which is small). A Brio, a P6 w/Exact, an Apollo CD player, and speakers I'm still deciding on. Maybe the new Elac Unifi 2.0, or B&W 607/606 S2 Anniv. models, or if I get real spendy, maybe Klipsch Heresy IV. Or budget, and the RP600M to hold me over (kids and wife in college, sigh).

I would consider Rega speakers too, I need to hear/see more from owners about what they excel at. I like the Rega synergy, so maybe they come alive with Rega gear.

4. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Well, my highest appreciation goes to the original Rega Planet CD Player.
    Truly analogue sounding (although not the best CDP of all, must say that).

Generally Rega CDP never sound wrong in a system and seem quite reliable

5. Noel Patterson

Thats something I'd like to try too, Rega speakers. I've read many places the synergy between the electronics and speakers is very good.

AmericanHIFI and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I absolutely love my Rega gear. Although I have been listening to and collecting records for over 30 years, when I started to get serious about sound about 7 years ago, the Rega RP1 turntable was the beginning of my journey. I tricked out that TT as much as possible, then started moving up the chain as my system(s) improved. Now I have 3 systems in the house, with Rega in all of them.

My main reference system has an all-Rega front end.

It is the RP10>Aria>Elicit-R into KEF Reference 1 speakers. The sound from this system is absolutely perfect for me. Detail, imaging, soundstage, tone, it really does it all. The Rega electronics are highly detailed with just a touch of warmth--a great mix of accuracy with a laid-back feel. I completely love it.

My other two systems each have RP6s (with Groovetracer) upgrades. Yeah I like this table so much I bought two.

Here's a pic of my RP10/Reference system.

[​IMG]

7. Noel Patterson

:drool::drool:

PhxJohn and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have the Groovetracer Reference subplatter. It is a substantial upgrade over the molded plastic subplatters.

9. mibrighton

mibrighton Forum Resident

Ah a great thread .

My Rega story started when I bought the original half size Brio [1991] and original Kytes [1993] and original Planet CD [1997] which was my first full Rega system.

Since then I have always had a full Rega system which included the following at some time.....

CD player = Planet / Planet 2000 / Saturn / Isis
    Amps = Brio / Brio 2 / Mira / Mira 3 / Cursa 3 , Exon 3 / Elicit 2 / Osiris
    Speakers = Kyte / ELA 2 / ELA 2000 / NAOS / R1 / RS3 / RS1 / RS10

But finally the RS10 were replaced with a pair of PMC MB2se. In fact I found the PMC have much in common with the RS10 , both transmission line loading and with a very similar sound signature . Kind of a grown up RS10 .

The longest Rega item ive had is the SC42 speaker cable. Bought in 2001 and still in use today , have tried various cables over the years but found nothing to better the SC42.
    Also must say always received excellent service from Rega whenever its been required.

Picture of current system .. Isis / Osiris / Rega power cables / SC42 / PMC MB2se.

[​IMG]

and a photo of previous setup with the RS10.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Naka9, hifisoup, Paul_s and 18 others like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Fantastic systems. What are your thoughts on the Osiris, particularly compared to the Elicit-R?

I'm completely satisfied with the Elicit, but someday if fate and fortune allow it would be cool to move up to the Osiris.

11. mibrighton

mibrighton Forum Resident

I found the Osiris to be much better than even the Cursa3/Exon3 combination. Its just so accurate and natural sounding , it just makes music so very real.

I think my Osiris will be my last amp , unless Rega can somehow bring out something even better.

Ive not heard the Elicit R but the Osiris is very similar sounding to the Elicit 2 , but obviously better in every way.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

What types of audio racks are you guys using? I'm looking for something for my P6 and not sure what goes well with the "light weight/no mass" rega. I'm considering getting the wall mount but i'm not a huge fan of the look.

MonkeyTennis and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Solidsteel S3-4. Fantastic rack for Rega. Very stable and perfectly fits the bill for light and rigid.

14. Noel Patterson

Wow, very very nice! :bigeek:

15. Noel Patterson

Mine are just inexpensive ones from Amazon. I'm in a basement so no issues with the turntable skipping (hardwood on cement). I am going to fill the legs with something at some point, which will add mass.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Love me some Rega. Right now all I have is a Planar 3 and an IO which I am going to build a second system around.

17. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

I had a Fisher 800-C fully rebuilt with good tubes. The Elex-R blows it out of the water (except for some Jazz records). The Rega DAC changed the game for me; now I can play computer files without hesitation. I had an RP3 that I sold, only because I rock cds / digital files only now -- it was excellent, and I hadn't upgraded it.

The company is outstanding and their gear, though utilitarian looking, is sonically beautiful. I've heard their speakers are excellent as well, but I have a pair of rebuilt Snells that work perfectly with the Rega stuff, so I'm not swapping (upgrading?).

I'm in a small room heavily treated, so I've got that going for me (too).

My "upgrade" path now looks like Sugden A21s. But that would be for the winter only, so the Rega Elex, as long as it's working, will be playing.

18. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

My Rega Apollo has been going strong for some years now...not a single hiccup.

19. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Gorgeous. May I suggest room treatment....

benzo and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. Noel Patterson

Elex-r is my next upgrade, a little more juice for the Dynaudios. And perhaps an Apollo-r as a transport, but of all the Rega gear, the Apollo worries me a bit with its reliability.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I love my Rega RX5 Speakers....They are very musical and especially with mid-range freq and brass, acoustic instruments has a very nice presentation. Originally had them with a NAD C356BEE amp at 90wpc, the Parasound HINT with 160wpc makes them sing really nice. At higher volumes like 85-88db (which I can't do for long) they play nicely. I have them with woofers facing out, you have to experiment based on your room. Rega does not publish specs but with test tones my phone registers around 33-35Hz. I use a SVS SB2000 sub and over all it is an improvement, although I could easily live without a sub.......Integrated well a sub should enhance the overall range.

Soundstage on the RX5s are wall to wall and I have mine toed in maybe 1" from straight on and 6' apart, 3D imaging is excellent too, a function of speakers and amp.

I would look at Rega tables but can't get past the no azimuth tonearm adjustment, deal breaker for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Noel Patterson

I was looking at upgrading my sub platter too at some point. There are a few available and it doesn't look terribly difficult to do.

PhxJohn likes this.
  23. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

It's really easy.

24. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

One question I’ve had; on the io, Brio, Elex amps, how is the mm phono input - if paired with an Exact cartridge, is it on par with the MM Fono, better or worse? And are they same phono preamp inside or different for each amp?

25. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

Would love to hear Dopesmoker on your rig!