Technics new generation amplifier "SU-R1000"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Omnio, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _ Thread Starter

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It does look nice, probably a Japanese market only unit. If I didn't get it wrong judging by the photos the output stage seems to be handled by IC's. I doubt it'll find a lot of love by people here.

Carlox likes this.
  3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I dislike the look of a gigantic knob above the meters. It looks like a gigantic cyclops. The arrangement really should really be inverted IMO.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Jimi Floyd, namlook, Benzion and 6 others like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Manimal and Uglyversal like this.
  5. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Looks upside down.:hide::)

6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

No, but knowing that Technics had just introduced a $2500 integrated amp and the SU-R1000 is a class (or two) above that....you get the picture.

Uglyversal likes this.
  8. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

I agree 100%! I love all things Technics, but I really don’t understand why they made some of their most recent design choices. It would look quite lovely if the knob and meters were simply reversed - but I would never buy it, solely because of its strange looks.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Well, good thing that it is not $10,000 price tag which will turn you away from this amp )).
    I agree that it is very goofy looking integrated.

Mcginty2020 and mackat like this.
  10. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I see one website listing the SU-R1000 as $9500 US.

Manimal and timind like this.
  11. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

And €8000 in the Europe.

12. Old Zorki II

At least unlike Yamaha they are little more consistent with pricing...

13. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Lol, I think that is indeed just a bit more of a barrier than the looks, for me :D

14. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

From the description it seems to be another Class D design with some additional signal processing voodoo.

But there is a good idea of digital phono cartridge response optimization. Though that one would be more appropriate in pre-amplifier or standalone phono corrector. Digital RIAA corrector with digital output (for DAC input) is long overdue.

15. Old Zorki II

Ever heard about Puffin by Parks Audio? You can save some serious $$$ while getting many times more features if DSP-based phono pre interested you )).

16. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Forum Resident

This thing looks great. Any updates on when it'll arrive in the USA? I think this is the first hi-fi component I've ever seen with two USB-B inputs. One for a computer, one for a streamer?

[​IMG]

Manimal likes this.
  17. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

For that price, you can do better with separates, built here in the US, with discrete parts and point-to-point wiring. Just my two cents.

Rich-n-Roll, BillWojo and leonafonte like this.
  18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

4 power supplies and gan mosfet transistors ... are you sure you find that made in usa?

Just an opinion.

19. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Great, and then IC's to top it off. Not sure I need to find one made in the USA. I prefer no corners cut, especially at this price.

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

At this price I'd get Accuphase or Luxman.

21. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Old school amplification ... nothing against it ... Only to note that the technics is a new animal. Gan transistors and class D are the future.

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Maybe, but unrelated to D class, this Technics does DSP of the analog sources connected, afaik. Not fan of that.

23. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Yes, but maintain an open mind ... digital dsp it's the future. Devialet, as many pro tools to fix acoustic problems are amazing. Acoustics destroy sound in a much bigger way than dsp.
    Later I see the Puffin phono preamp from Parks Audio, a designer that comes from tube devices.

Class D amplifiers are not the same amplifiers from 90s ... and dsp processing are not the 90s ht processors also.

BayouTiger and LakeMountain like this.
  24. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Forum Resident

25. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I just read a test review of the Technics SU-R1000 in a German mag, impressive! This is much more than just Class-D and DSP, it may be the future of serious amping!

The list of technologies is long, like:
    ■ JENO (Jitter Elimination and Noise Shaping Optimization). Besides avoiding jitter it claims to transfer quantum noise into inaudible frequencies.

■ ADCT (Active Distortion Cancelling Technology): Distortion due to feedback is subtracted and only the distortion part is send back to the JENO and eliminated.

■ LAPC (Load Adaptive Phase Calibration): push the button and the amp measures the frequency and resistance of the attached speaker optimizes amp settings. This eliminates the known sensitivity of Class-D to different high frequency tweeters.

■ GaN-FET (Gallium nitric-FET’s): The JENO operates so fast that faster transistors are required, according to Technics.

■ State of the art DAC: 2x USB, PCM 32 bit / 384 kHz, DSD 22.8 MHz.

■ Phono stage: DSP assisted cartridge optimizer and a test record to automatically optimize any cartridge, seven equalization curves and sub-sonic filters.

According to the testers SQ of the amp is up there with any other top (Class-A or AB) amp, but what lifts it up is the ability to further improve even top speakers (using LAPC) or top cartridges (using the cartridge optimizer). They compared the integrated DAC with their German Reference (T+A MP3100HV, 13.5 k€) and it equals it.

Given the DAC and integrated top phono stage this puts 8k€ or $ 9.5k for this amp in a different perspective.

Will be very interesting to read more reviews about this amp here.

The Technics link:
    Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-R1000 Hi-Fi Audio | Technics US