Best music bargain you have ever brought?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DM333, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I bought the Neil Young Official Release Series Discs 5-8 on CD new for £42. Good luck finding a copy for that price.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  2. Because at the time I didn't have a decent setup and didn't want to damage it. I held onto it as a fan of the band rather than as a vinyl collector, which I'm not. Some day. I also picked up at the time and still have sealed the Creeping Death and Jump In The Fire 12"s.

hi_watt and James Glennon like this.
  3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Goodwill $1.00 LPs. M- actual vinyl.

CSN
    Thriller
    Abby Road

Everything really. 300+ great titled LPs actually. All M- actual vinyl. Jackets are from like new, to VG+, to some just absolutely horrid. I never cared about the jackets all that much. I don't play the jackets.

Got really lucky for 11 months... it was a 'most excellent unreal winning streak'... then, one day... it just ended.

(At the same time - I scored on a ton of M- CDs too, like new (inside and out). Even a light scratch and I wouldn't buy it. All outstanding titles, mostly all rock but many vintage jazz. 95% were 50 cents to $1. Some were $2 like 4 each Frank Zappas.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    hi_watt likes this.
  4. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Three years ago, found a mint copy of the non-gatefold Buckingham/Nicks album in the $2 clearance rack at Half Priced Books. Funny thing was, they had a gatefold copy of the album behind the counter for $75. I could live with the lack of a gatefold. :)

klockwerk and hi_watt like this.
  5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

She must have been thrilled.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yep, I jumped on that The Beatles in Mono liquidation sale as well.

However, to me, it’s “value” is $0 ‘cuz I ain’t ever selling it.

7. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

In the used vinyl bin at my local (now out of business) Hastings, I found a copy of Dokken's Under Lock and Key for, IIRC, a whopping 2 dollars. I also found Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, which I think was 3 dollars.

On another occasion, at a shop a friend used to own (not a record store, just a little shop for vintage clothes and other odd things), I scored James Gang Rides Again (a later MCA pressing, probably from the late '70s) and Deep Purple's Fireball for what I think was a total of 7 bucks.

My cousin, who used to work for a local thrift shop/shelter organization (sort of a Salvation Army type of organization), would get cool records from boxes people donated. He gave me an original U.S. copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (stereo, pre-"subsidiary of Capitol Industries" rainbow label). It was in pretty poor condition, no inner sleeve, etc. It doesn't sound very good (that has more to do with the quality of the mastering and pressing than the condition of the record itself...it's very compressed and has unpleasant EQ, typical mid/late 60s Capitol Beatles albums). He also gave me a horrible copy of Led Zeppelin II (it's the lifeless, compressed remaster that followed the original 'hot' pressings). And I got some old Beatles 45s from him, indirectly (he gave them to our aunt who picked what she wanted and then gave the remaining two to me): an original Capitol "Lady Madonna", and an old Tollie "Twist and Shout". Our aunt took "I Feel Fine", "Help!" (both original swirl labels), and "Let It Be" (original Apple label). None of these singles were in particularly good condition, but hey, free 45s!

8. 8-9 years ago......

Mono 6-eye Columbia Miles Davis KOB
    plays as VG+
    $0.50 Goodwill

notesofachord likes this.
  9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

A vg+ UK London Calling first press for $10 bucks in the new arrivals bin. Oddly enough, they had a U.S. first on the wall with shrinkwrap for $25.

10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Probably the 40 Licks Rolling Stones comp at an FYE for a quarter

MedozK and hi_watt like this.
  11. I found the DCC Baker Street for $15 long after it was out of print.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

What I believe to be an excellent original 1967 Beatles MMT that looks like it's never been played for $2. Booklet inside, sleeve etc look like new.
    Unfortunately, sound quality is shrill and tinny, but nothing is perfect :shrug:

hi_watt likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Brought...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Maurice Bursztynski

Maurice Bursztynski Drummer, Singer, Podcaster.

About 10 years ago, I found a copy of the 4 CD Zombies box set, Zombie Heaven for 18 bucks. I played it to death (particularly the Odessey and Oracle tracks).

15. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Some japanese Miles Davis CDs for around 5-10 euros each, bought several of them at the same time in a used record shop and the rest the week after from an online seller:
    In a Silent Way 35DP 70
    Kind of Blue 35DP 62
    and others maybe not so valuable:
    Bitches Brew, CBS Japan for Europe fatboy
    The Man with the Horn, CBS JfE
    Decoy, CBS JfE
    E.S.P., CBS/Sony CSCS5148
    Sorcerer 35DP 725
    Nefertiti 35DP 726

The Bob Dylan mono box (cd) for 17 euros (new)

In Vinyl, a lot of records bought new in the late 80s, most of them for around 3 euros, between them all the Beatles discography, including MMT both as double EP (spanish vinyl, german cover, for 800 pesetas, around 5 euros) and the acclaimed German Apple LP (this one as import full price but a bargain nowadays)

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

A large Iron Maiden vinyl collection (LPs, singles, bootlegs, picture discs) for $1.25 total.

--Geoff

17. Picked up an EX condition SACD of Sea Change by Beck for $5 at a local used record shop a couple of years ago.

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What?? I got ripped off then. Paid a dollar for mine.

ARK likes this.
  19. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

My wife and I went to a big flea market near Cincinnati (Traders World) in 2007. Dealers come and go there and I found a new dealer that had just opened their CD shop. After looking through probably around 1000 CD's (mostly common and many beat up) I came to the last box. There were 18 MFSL's - I scooped them all up and went up to the front table. They were $3 each - in my 30+ years of music shopping this was definitely my #1 score.

Allman Brothers Band: Fillmore East (2cd)
    Allman Brothers Band: Eat A Peach
    The Band: Music From Big Pink
    The Beach Boys: Surfin' USA & Surfer Girl
    Jeff Beck: Wired
    Eric Clapton: 461 Ocean Boulevard
    Joe Jackson: Night and Day
    Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Moody Blues: Days Of Future Passed
    Pink Floyd: Meddle
    The Police: Synchronicity
    Queen: A Night At The Opera
    Steely Dan: Gaucho
    Sting: The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
    Sting: Nothing Like The Sun
    Supertramp: Crime Of The Century
    Steve Winwood: Arc Of A Diver
    The Who: Tommy

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Dave S likes this.
  20. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Amazing. That was a lucky find.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  21. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

A few years ago. About 50 garage and psych albums, mostly eighties reissues in my local charity shop. 99 p each,

Dave S likes this.
  22. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Led Zeppelin I first UK pressing with unscratched matrix. $10. VG- condition LP I resold it for $600.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  23. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Not really a find. What happened was that the owner of the first record shop I hung out at made that offer - 100 of the records that went into the shop's boxes of used singles, for £10. There must have been over 1,000 of them, in the back of the shop, stacked up a flight of stairs, and he hadn't looked through them, so it was an incredibly kind offer. I said I'd think about it overnight, because 45 years ago £10 was a lot to me. Most of what I picked up I'd never heard of, just thought 'that's an unusual name for a group' or 'nice-looking record label' - anything that took my fancy. Until the internet came along I had no idea of the potential value of some of them (they're only worth what someone is prepared to pay).

Wish I could have got back in touch with him to thank him properly, but I found out he died a few years ago.

Dave S likes this.
  24. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Actually, she was a pretty good sport about it.
    Fortunately she and I were cut from same cloth in terms being music lovers with common interests, Beatles being no exception. I was a hi-fi aficionado when she met me, so this type of behavior was of no surprise. That said, she was a pretty good sport about it. Had this been 6 months later into the reality of being young newlyweds, that purchase would have never happened LOL.

25. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Ive got a couple of copies of original pressing of Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie triple vinyl bought back when released, both numbered, never played. One still sealed with a low number and has a £10.99 tower records price sticker on it. I "think" (was a long time ago,) they were selling them cheap, the store was closing (Kingston, Surrey.) It was my second copy and have left it sealed ever since.

Best cd bargain, £36 for John Martyn Island years 18 disc box. I absolutely love this box, played very often, some sort of amazon mis price.

Metallica - Kill em All vinyl. Secondhand from a charity shop. Tatty as hell but when i got it home realised the inner lyric sheet had been signed by Lars Ulrich and Cliff Burton. Complete with swearing, i am convinced this is not a fake, never had it checked but one to keep for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.