NAD C658 a good fit?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Nov 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

My cousin wants to upgrade his system which includes as follows:

Speakers are Focal 706

Turntable Project Debut Carbon

Integrate amp is NAD C370

He also has a Cambridge CXU that I gave him.

He is interested in the NAD C 658.

I have a node 2i in my second system and really like it but I’m not familiar with the NAD C658.

Could those familiar with the NAD comment on its suitability in this system?
    Thanks

2. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

I have a NAD C 658 in a 2-channel set up, primarily for music although the TV is also fed through one of the NAD's optical ports. Power amp is a PS Audio Stellar S300 and speakers are by Dynaudio. That particular setup conveys music with clarity but also some depth and, for me, the right level of "warmth". It isn't syrupy but it also doesn't have over-emphasised highs. I've had different speakers (MA Gold 100s) and some budget monoblocks and the system sounded bright, sometimes tending to fatiguing and brittle so the setup needs to be considered as a whole.

As ever, "suitability" is a rather flexible term. If your cousin gets the NAD C 658 and it does all he wants and sounds great (to him), then it's very suitable. On the other hand, if it's too fiddly or doesn't do what he wants and/or it sounds like pants (to him), it's very unsuitable. It's stating the obvious but, as most threads on this forum show, everyone hears music differently and has their own preferences as to functionality.

Off the top of my head, the only additional functionality (without upgrade options) offered by the C 658 is a streamer and Dirac room correction. An optional upgrade module is available for HDMI connectivity (extra cost). Or, is your cousin looking at the C 658 as an upgrade in some way? If your cousin is only looking to add streaming to his setup with no other significant changes in the overall system, then the C 658 seems to be overkill, good as it is. Also, the C 658 will need a power amp (does the C370 have a Pre In option?).

For streaming to work on the NAD C 658 (including the USB type-A port), the BluOS app is needed. Some people find the app excellent whilst others are less impressed.

There is a huge thread about the NAD C 658 on the AVS Forum site, following the ups and downs from the point of release. Most of the earlier teething issues have been resolved over time, as always with products relying on software, new glitches pop up every now and again. The thread may be confusing or informative, depending on your take. Alternatively, you may have a life that doesn't revolve around one piece of the hi-fi jigsaw... :)

I've had the C 658 for a shade over a year and am broadly happy with it. Never say never, but the C 658 is likely to be staying in my system for a while and, as I said in another thread about an unrelated matter, I'm once again listening to music, rather than hi-fi, having found a set of components that seem to work well together (at least for me).

Whatever your cousin decides, I hope the music wins.

MayoStudenT and Khorn like this.
  3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the very informative answer. My cousin is a music lover with a definite audio interest but also very price conscious. I’ll pass this info on to him. Thanks again.

4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The only other unit I know with comparable features and well under $2000 is the miniDSP SHD. Its interface is tweaker, but it does offer full Dirac and sells for a few hundred dollars less than the NAD. So if something to contrast and compare is wanted, that would be the one, I think.

Khorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.