Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Maybe a review (brilliantly written) that will help you in your quest for a satisfying pressing? :tiphat: (Post # 489)

Best Led Zeppelin I on Vinyl?

Dzongkha likes this.
  2. Dzongkha

Dzongkha Senior Member

Thanks a lot :D
    Great one!

3. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Great thread, have really enjoyed the discussion. Not too much analysis of various Physical Graffiti pressings, however. I’ve got two US copies, a RI that I purchased upon release and a MO that I wish played a little quieter. Is it just me or is first part of Side 3 of the US pressings uniformly noisy?
    As I window-shopped Discogs last night I noticed a Presswell CLUB pressing that has @tgp on all four Sides!
    Does anyone own/has anyone heard this pressing? Seems like a no-brainer that it should sound pretty good. Odd that it’s only a club pressing. Comments?
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  4. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

No love for PG? (Is it something I said?)

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have the CRC pressing you referenced...what do you want to know?

6. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

How does it sound (and is Side 3 noisy), and/or what’s your go to pressing for PG? Thanx

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

In my experience you have two good options with US pressings...

The Piros you referenced above, and an F. T. (Frank Tabino) cut. The at/gp has a more laid back approach, while the F. T. (the ones I've heard) is cut hotter and seems to be more lively. I personally like my LZ with as much energy as those grooves can deliver, therefore I prefer the F.T.. Your preferences my differ.

I'm not sure what your hearing on side 3?

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

+1 for the F.T. cuts.

9. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Last things first (Side 3), both of my copies exhibit surface noise, even though the vinyl looks fine ( the RI Looks Cleaner). My RI pressing has FT on sides 2 and 4. It’s closest to this version.
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

I should give’r another wash cycle to see if it helps. Thanks for the read on the GP PG! (Har)

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I’m really confused when it comes to all the Zep II pressings that are either considered good or not good. Does anyone know if a pressing with this matrix is considered worth having? I believe it’s a 77 pressings...

ST-A 691671-X @t GP (PR)

11. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

the best pressing will always be the first ones that I bought as a young upstart in the late 70s-early 80s. Don't know what they were or how they came to be, but I will treasure them for my awakening.

Stone Turntable and Mad shadows like this.
  12. DPM

DPM Senior Member

That's one of the George Piros masterings of that album, and it's his best IMHO. The general consensus is that it's the next best version of Led Zeppelin II to the Robert Ludwig original. In other words, you've got a winner there.

13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While the earlier -C cuts are more desirable, the later Piros cuts will easily better the non Piros cuts!

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks guys!

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. This is the pressing I have. It's a close second to the RL compared to my other pressings (Canadian red, Classic, 2014). JPJs bass sounds perfect.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well that’s a great endorsement, thanks! I’m going to order a copy and try it. I have a one sided RL German press from 71 on the way, looking forward to hearing that as well.

Jam757 and violetvinyl like this.
  17. Christophe Lethimonnier

If you are confused maybe it is because you have yet to determine how you would like to hear Led Zeppelin !? :shh:

18. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi guys !

[​IMG]

A nice discovery to start the year:

House of the holy mastering George Peckham ... Portuguese pressing! :cop:

Happy New Year everyone :wave::tiphat:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take care of yourself and your loved ones.:edthumbs::tiphat:

19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Have you compared these to the Sam Feldman (s/f) pressing? That one is my go to.

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have not...I remember liking his work on LZ III, but it's been a while since I've heard it.

21. What album is being discussed?

22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Well, I was referring to Physical Graffiti. I think Dr Funk was too, but also referred to III.

The lack of clarity may be because Sam Feldman masterings exist for both titles.

23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

:thumbsup:...I would be interested in hearing a Feldman cut of Physical Graffiti. Discogs has the year listed as 1987.

24. Thanks. I believe I have a Piros one side s/f other side for the debut album but would have to double check when I get a chance. I could be confusing it with another record.

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

That sounds like an LZ III.