SH Spotlight Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45 & 33 1/3 RPM Hoffman/Gray vinyl mastering & equalization notes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If I remember it right, the only way to tell is if the sticker on the wrap stated it was pressed at Pallas.

IMMusicRulz and jammincrowe like this.
  2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Thx..I removed the wrap a couple of years ago. I think I have the legit SH & KG mastering version.

3. This 45RPM resissue is of the finest in my modest 1200+ vinyl collection. The original fine china dishes and fine crystal in my mothers cabinet I inherited gets jealous at the attention it receives from guests.

jammincrowe and wwright like this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You can also check the printing credits on the back of the album jacket. If it's US then it's the Hoffman/Gray.

5. blue

blue Mastering rules

Just heard the 45 RPM US Rumors today again and it sounds so damn good and rich and crisp, probably one of the best sound of music from this era, which mostly sounds too lean otherwise.

wwright likes this.
  6. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Just picked up Ken Perry's RIAA Gold Record for this album....Nice shape for a 40 Year old piece!!

[​IMG]

7. russellsd

russellsd Forum Resident

I am very fortunate to have just found a copy of 45 rpm at Deep Discount for a good price. (looks like it was the last one they had) Spun this last night and my jaw dropped several times. Easily one of the best sounding albums in my collection.

My question is how do I distinguish the 33 1/3 version. I was thinking of picking that up for my bro for Christmas.

Russ

Yovra likes this.
  8. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I got the 45 rpm for Christmas. Into the first track, my mom commented how clean and good it sounds. She and my sister didn't believe 45 rpm full sized records existed, they only knew of singles!

9. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high

I am on my 4th listening.

Outstanding!

10. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I think I’ve listened to mine around 4 times too. Arrived on Tuesday. Really, a beautiful thing.

Muriel Heslop likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I played the 33 1/3 RPM cut we made today, had been a while.

Such a wonderful album. So nice, they mixed it twice!

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I play mine regularly. Terrific work! :righton:

Great songs, great performances, and great sound. Doesn't get any better, IMHO. :)

13. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I recall picking this up at Amoeba a few years back, without the benefit of the back story - just grabbed it out of curiosity.

And yes, it’s all been said here - what a great surprise when the needle hit the vinyl. It was a terrific job by all involved.

14. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I agree!!

15. Steve Hoffman

Yeesh, gives me a headache just looking at it.

rocnred likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

How did THIS get on this thread?

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That doesn't really matter. It was a great read. :agree:

18. Steve Hoffman

It was an adventure, that's for sure.

19. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

This entire thread is a treasure trove of valuable information. :righton:

O Don Piano likes this.
  20. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle

I own a vinyl copy of Rumours. Mine is a Los Angeles Pressing. However, the mix on some songs (specifically Second Hand News, The Chain and Oh Daddy) differ from the 8 track, cassette and CD pressings. I have also seen a Winchester pressing that fades Oh Daddy early but not Second Hand News. Why is this?

I also haven’t got much information on Ken Perry. I know he also mastered Bob Welch French Kiss, Tusk and a few other Fleetwood Mac albums I own. I know he also worked at Capitol Records Mastering and K Disc. I would like to know if he still masters records, if he is retired or died, since he hasn’t mastered a lot of stuff since 1995.

I also saw a copy of Rumours that was a Los Angeles pressing, but had TML in the runout. My guess is that they had 2 different mastering engineers as Doug Sax and/or Mike Reese (May they both RIP) rarely mastered Fleetwood Mac records.

21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Ten years ago in this thread somebody posted, "There should be more threads like this on this forum".
    I agreed ten years ago, and I ESPECIALLY agree now......

22. Steve Hoffman

How did this end up on a Fleetwood Mac thread??

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Finally picked up the 33rpm- what a delight. Belated thanks Steve for giving us this gift.

IMMusicRulz and jammincrowe like this.
  24. meb

meb Member

Is the 45 RPM version going to be repressed? My local record store told me they were able to put an order in with their supplier but it’s out of stock at their warehouse. I’m thinking I’ll be waiting a while…

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I believe if you look around here a bit, you'll find our host said there's absolutely no audible difference between the 33 and 45 versions.

rcsrich likes this.