Rega Planar 3 vs Technics SL-1500C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Right, not really a "bypass" in that the phono preamp was never in the path for that output. You "bypass" the phono stage by not using that output.

RS2099, patient_ot and snorker like this.
  2. blacklava

blacklava Active Member

Would you choose the GR/MK7 over the 1500c even if the DJ features are not needed?

3. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

Technics SL1500C .. ha ha like that's gonna happen. But choices, choices:

SL1500C: Direct drive, respectable built in preamp, great looking and built like a tank.

Planar 3. Rubber band.. sorry belt drive, great looking, needs external preamp.

Unless the planar is significantly better sounding, the Technics wins hands down.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't really need the DJ features, but I do not care that they are there in case I need them later. Main thing is I don't like the built-in phono of the 1500C or the included cartridge. For less money I would get the MK7.

5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

But the 1500 looks so cool and I reckon the built in preamp may be better than you think it is..

highqualityrecords likes this.
  7. blacklava

blacklava Active Member

So I guess built quality between mk7 and 1500c is similar, with the GR as a big brother of the three. Me too I don't care about the built in phono, but you can bypass It if you want, and throw the ortofon in the bin if you want :D

patient_ot likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That guy's videos are the last thing I'd use to make a purchasing decision. I don't really care about the look that much - and the "DJ" look or pitch control slider has never bothered me, unlike folks around here that have a bug up their you know what about it. There is a slim to zero chance the included phono preamp is better than the standalone phono pre I already use...highly unlikely at best. It's a gonna be a "throw in" feature. Marketing department probably told them they had to include it for the vinyl trend hoppers that might buy a 1500.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  9. blacklava

blacklava Active Member

I was having a look on new technics too see what I would buy if my SL-D1 motor/arm/whatever starts to give serious issues...the real problem is that I don't think this will happen anytime soon...

10. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb Thread Starter

After two and a half years of simply not enjoying the Planar 3, I took the plunge and ordered a Technics SL-1500C in black as well as purchasing an Ortofon 2M Blue stylus to swap out the Red (I've used a red on prior turntables and while it is not bad, I want to give the Blue a shot). The Planar has been my least favorite turntable I have owned (and first belt driven table I have owned) and has caused me to listen to records less and less. Hoping the Technics reignites the love!

Will report back once I receive and set it up.

11. fish

fish Senior Member

Ive owned both and the AT...I prefer the Rega but they are both rather good in their own way.

Id say I prefer the Rega with some upgrades ive done. Very low noise floor and doesn't look like some old turntable from the 70's.
    I honestly HATE the look of the Technics.

Years ago the sales of their table dropped so much they got out of the business. The DJ Industry was devastated but they weren't buying them! The prices of OLD Technics tables skyrocketed and a few years later Technics started making product again just at a much higher price point.
    Their $500 table went to over $1000 and so on... The kids and hipsters love them.

12. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

From what I've seen, there must be an awful lot of kids and hipsters around here disguised as old men :)

13. Pretty.Odd.

That would be me! In my 20s.

I don't mind the look of the Technics. To be honest, looks aren't that important to me when choosing a table. I like the durability, ease of use and quick change of cartridges, styli and headshells that come with owning a Technics.

Eigenvector and Sterling1 like this.
  14. fish

fish Senior Member

There is an AWEFUL lot of them. Yes!
    Its Retro looking. ALL generations like Retro.

Ive published for the DJ Industry for about 30 years. Its the GO TO Table - IF they have a table. Most modern DJ's dont spin records but will hardly ever admit it. Scratch DJ's and such account for a tiny fraction of the Industry.

With the Technics, the spin-up time is VERY FAST and that is VERY Necessary when DJ'ing. When you stop the platter with your hands and reverse it then release, it SPRINGS back to speed. Its part of HOW YOU SCRATCH. ONLY a direct drive table with a strong motor can do this. NO belt driven table can. They also have Pitch control which is ALSO VERY necessary. They ALSO have removable head shells because you usually need to change cartridges during a night. And its so easy you can easily do it wasted on whatever it is you like to imbibe.
    Technics didn't discover DJ's, DJ's discovered Technics out of necessity.

The Technics Absolutely has its place in the DJ World and there basically wasn't another table that didn't suck for DJ's. The Numarks are SO BAD! The AT aren't much better. Technics and Pioneer are your choices if you're a DJ of any type that wants to play vinyl.

They do make a good sounding Turntable and if you like the look of it then its a double-plus-good.

And BTW, Audiophile fidelity isn't important to DJ's. Just reliable sound with NO Feedback.

April Snow likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Well, it gets kinda silly to go on about it over and over, there are many Technics users here, I'm sure it's by far the most popular table brand, and many of the users even call themselves audiophiles and love the sound of their tables. Some even love the looks too. And there are many Rega users here too. And a few of us that like something else more, it's just a turntable, not sure why it can get so contentious around here on some subjects.

ubiknik and classicrocker like this.
  16. fish

fish Senior Member

I think thats what I said. Its 110% fine. But its roots are from DJ'ing. Its built like a TANK! Cant tell you how many times Ive carried 2 of them under my arms onto a stage. Slap them down and BANG you're a DJ!

Try doing that with a Rega!

17. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Some people like the Technics
    Some people like the RP3
    I am going to have both.

Upstairs I have and RP3 and Neo sounding great.
    Downstairs I want something robust to plug straight into a Naim superuniti and the 1500C is the first thing I will audition.

18. The Killer Piglet

The Killer Piglet Forum Resident

Wow.. these Technics vs Rega threads death spiral faster than digital vs analog.

I guess civil ware really are the most brutal.

KP

19. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

If I didn’t buy a Technics it sure wouldn’t be because of this forum...

I have a Technics DD, but I sure would like to have a belt-drive as a 2nd TT one day. I’d get one with external speed control and power supply. It would only need to spin at 33/45, but I want it to do so w/out moving belts. I would miss the detachable headshell, but I suppose once the selected cart was dialed in I’d be fine without swapping out carts often.

fish likes this.
  20. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Are you contributing anything productive to the OP's thread? You have basically stated you are against Technics decks because too many people praise and defend them. And you provided no insight as to why you recommend the Rega, other than it's not a Technics. Brilliant.

punkmusick likes this.
  21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It was actually a fairly good discussion, considering the whole thread. With it being over a year ago, I wouldn't revisit the subject now.

22. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Never owned a Rega or any other belt drive but still love my vintage Technics 1700MKII and love my current 1210GR.

I think you are going to enjoy the ease of setup, ease of use and rock solid speed of the Technics. No fuss no muss

Oh yeah they sound pretty good too!

Pretty.Odd., Sterling1 and Fruff76 like this.
  23. Pretty.Odd.

What would everyone recommend I upgrade first to pair with the new Technics SL-1500C (with AT540ML cart) and Rega Fono MM Preamp? I'm currently using Advent Baby II speakers and a Yamaha R-S202 receiver, both of which I'd like to upgrade sometime soon. I was considering a Pioneer SX-3700 or SX-626 receiver as I see those available used for great prices in my area. Any idea if those are an upgrade from my Yamaha?

24. Pretty.Odd.

Just throwing it out there that the SL-1500C with an AT540ML cartridge absolutely destroys anything I ever got out of the Rega. Never turning back.

ubiknik and patient_ot like this.
  25. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Dare I say get a proper amp..

luckybaer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.