Records with bleeping/censoring

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Don't Put Me Down' by the H.M. Subjects (1965 cover of 'Don't Bring Me Down' by the Pretty Things')

A-side - "censored - for radio play"

B-side - "uncensored - do not play this side on air"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c7-ivefWW0&ab_channel=DanF

The censored side actually seems to me to have been the less suitable for airplay ...

Egg Crisis likes this.
  2. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I never knew the European CD of the Stray Cats Rant n Rave would have the word a__ bleeped out on Rebels Rule... imagine my surprise when I bought one a few years back... my cassette as a kid in the States certainly didn't...

3. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Rob Base - It Takes Two

daveidmarx likes this.
  4. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

At least here in Australia The Beatles "Ballad of John & Yoko" had the word "Christ" bleeped out!

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Nothing to do with any Law, it's just BBC policy not to allow any advertising of commercial products. If Cherry Cola had been available at the time who knows what the substitution would have been, Iced Soda maybe...

McLover and john lennonist like this.
  6. Ingres3225

Ingres3225 Forum Resident

On one of the rereleases of Megadeths album 'Killing is my Business...' the cover version they do of 'These Boots are Made for Walking' has all the lyrics beeped out rendering it virtually unlistenable- ridiculous really. Apparently Nancy Sinatra disagreed with the original cover version and wouldn't allow them to include her lyrics on the rerelease so they included the song like this to spite her (something like that anyway)
    All it did was spite the fans- I doubt she, or her estate, gave two hoots!

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

We had sensitive ears here in Australia.
    The Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy vrs. The Red Baron.
    The line with the word 'bloody Red Baron' was deemed inappropriate.
    Radio stations were issued copies of it with a bleeped version, while the released version was intact.
    Same with it's follow up, 'Return of the Red Baron'.
    The 45's to radio however, were not marked differently, so they are hard to track down.
    A clue may be the 'sample - not for sale' sticker on the label, if they exist...
    I've yet to find one...
    [​IMG]
    My dad tells also me, radio also 'bleeped' 'Johnny Horton's - The Battle of New Orleans' for radio as well,
    also featured the word, 'we caught the bloody British in a town in New Orleans'.
    Never seen one of those 45's either.

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Was censored for many years, as both radio stations and listeners misheard Ronnie Van Zandt's utterance "Montgomery's got the answer" as containing the word "G*ddamn." (the most infamous interpretation being "My doughnuts, g*ddamn")

krock2009 and mbd40 like this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Another on radio the last year back or so.

The Veronica's - 'Think of Me'

'Do you miss me in your sheets?
    Do you miss me in your bed?
    The way we talk all night, the way I give you head?

The word head was miraculously removed leaving just the music track.
    The reason given, 'too raunchy'.
    Meanwhile, the same station will play words with 'Sh!t and the ol' mother F bomb etc'....
    :shrug:

10. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Prince Buster - Big 5

A jamaican release was uncensored however.

LoveYourLife and slopduck like this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday" required a lyric change on its UK issue for the same reason: "I've got my Hush Puppies on" became "I've got my hiking shoes on".

RandyP and john lennonist like this.
  12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Thanks for the correction. I don't think there would be a problem with "cherry cola" as long as it is not the brand name of an actual soda, but I could see a problem with "Cherry Coke" if it existed at that time.

13. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Toto's mid '80s song "Stranger In Town".
    There's a line that was originally "the son of a bitch is mean". It was changed to "son of a witch".

My memory may be a little foggy, but if I'm remembering correctly, the video used the edited version. The 45 used the un-edited. I don't remember what the radio played. I don't think it was played much locally, as it wasn't a huge hit.

14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Some pressings of Goat's Head Soup have a comically censored version of "Star Star".

OldSoul and john lennonist like this.
  15. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Michael Jackson - “They Don’t Care About Us” had some lyrics censored, as they were basically antisemetic slurs. (Taken out of context, yes, those are offensive phrases but I don’t think he was trying to use them in that manner, but who knows.)

Galaga King likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Bruce Cockburn's 1986 song, "Call It Democracy" - The offending eff word was "blanked" out for Canadian radio back then.

North south east west
    Kill the best and buy the rest
    It's just spend a buck to make a buck
    You don't really give a flying f***
    About the people in misery

17. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

The Mothers...We're Only in it For The Money

I have an original promo LP...least edited so far that I've heard.
    May be the most censored/edited LP, top to bottom. Some edits being just plain silly.

[​IMG]

...this was the first album to really scare his label, Verve records. The original artwork was inverted, so the Sgt. Pepper parody was the inner gatefold, where the band photo intended to be the gatefold was put on the outside. But it wasn’t just the album artwork the label changed; for the first (and only) time, the actual recording was edited. “Harry, You’re a Beast” had a section reversed and chopped up, “Mother People” had a verse excised, and some pressings even have further edits. The strangest of these is on “Let’s Make the Water Turn Black,” where an executive thought the line “I remember mama with her apron and her pad, feeding all the boys in Ed’s cafe,” referred to a menstrual pad not, you know, a waitress’ order pad.

Sadly, the master tapes were damaged, so when it came time to re-release the Zappa catalog, though the album art issue was fixed, the only versions of the album that feature the least editing were the ones that Zappa remixed in 1984 to remove the bass and drums. You can hear this version on Lumpy Money, but be warned: it’s goddawful. Though most of the missing lines and verses were restored, the album is otherwise ruined with plastic ’80s-sounding drums and overdriven bass that doesn’t mesh with the rest of the recordings. (Lumpy Money also includes the ’80s remix of Lumpy Gravy, which was thankfully never actually released. It’s somehow even worse than the ’80s remix of We’re Only In It For the Money.)

‘We’re Only In It For the Money’ Is Frank Zappa’s Delightfully Ugly Take on ‘Sgt. Pepper’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

There's a bleep in the intro to Godzilla on Blue Oyster Cult's Extraterrestrial Live where Eric exclaims "Holy s*** Godzilla!"

October Man likes this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Al Kooper's album Easy Does It has a sort of hidden track at the end of the last side including a bleeped four letter word from Al.

20. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Raspberries - "Starting Over"- "used to feel so - optimistic"

21. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The censored version of Enter the Wu Tang must be heard to be believed. It's like a completely different album. I have both versions.

22. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I done told you once you son of a gun, I'm the best there's ever been.

Trader Joe, McLover, ARK and 2 others like this.
  23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Does an uncensored version even exist? I've only ever heard the "bleeped" version. Is the word intact on the original album?

24. r2rcollector

r2rcollector Forum Resident

rockin' mother****** is bleeped on this one
    [​IMG]

Thomas Casagranda and bRETT like this.
  25. R79

R79 Forum Resident

Kid Rock's "Cowboy" has a part where he goes "My only words of wisdom are just <radio edit>" (which is part of the album version too).

ARK and Galaga King like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.