Introducing People to Elvis Presley Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NavyGrenadine, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cojack84

Cojack84 New Member

hello any die hard Elvis listeners, I need help on a Elvis song, I heard it on Elvis radio, he was in the studio and he played the song, messed up, played it again, paused, then played the whole song. it was from the mid to late 1950s and it sounds like he says, what is love, ove, ove, any suggestions on to what this song might be, its not the falling in love or his typical songs you would here. this sounds like when he first started singing, I have some of his love song cd collections and its not on it, I've listened to about 200 of hiss 600 plus songs, still haven't heard it. any help????

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2020
  2. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

Not from the 50s and not what you say but he sings 'I said I'll hold, I said I'll hold' before he sings it a third time and continues the song in I'll Hold You In My Heart from 1969.

There's also a slow opening to Milkcow Blues Boogie before he stops it and tells the listener that "it don't move me, let's get real real gone for a change."

3. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

On the original topic, I wouldn’t start with CDs at all. Just show them the complete sit-down shows from the ’68 Comeback Special on Blu-ray or DVD.

4. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Never really listened to Elvis. I mean, I've heard a lot via radio and parents. My dad was a big Elvis fan. He was born in '47. I remember traveling through the countryside near where we lived at night with my dad playing his gospel stuff when i was a kid. I thought it was really good. I remember the day he died too. My mom said that my dad wasn't going to be happy about that when he gets home from work.
    I picked up a few compilations and I might get some of the early stuff. Thanks for some inspiration in what to check out.

NavyGrenadine likes this.
  5. Nosferatuz

Nosferatuz Forum Resident

I would say that 30 #1 Hits is the perfect introduction. Other collections would be The Sun Sessions and Golden Records.

NavyGrenadine and KAJ1971 like this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

7. LennyC.

LennyC. Forum Resident

Personally, I have to disagree. The hits are mostly known anyway. I would go for Life in Platinum. Still a very good box, maybe even the best all-around there is. Starting with Sun and ending in Sundial you get the perfect overview of his career. Some master takes, a couple of alternate takes and a nice booklet with it. This is the best entry for me. If that is too much, you can always your one or two cd creation covering it all. Fifties Elvis was genius. Sixties Elvis was all around, from the very raw to the very sophisticated. The seventies started out well enough, but I am not of the option that it was an all in all lost decade. On the contrary, with a.o. the new Nashville, the Stax Trilogy albums, the 1972 undubbed material, I sing all kinds (FTD) and the uncluttered Jungle Room and Today session, one can argue he sings some among the most poignant material in his life. All of this is to be found on this beautiful collection.

ccbarr, JimmyCool and NavyGrenadine like this.
  8. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I regularly introduce younger people to Elvis. Usually there's resistance, I think they perceive Elvis as an old-fashioned singer; like what a teenager in the seventies would've thought of Bing Crosby.

The best way isn't with a CD or collection, they're understandable penchant for instant gratification -- or maybe I should say impatience -- prevents this.

This what I hit them with; it's less then three minutes and displays an undeniable appeal that can cross generations. If this doesn't pique their interest -- then you're probably wasting your time:

9. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

:agree: Can't say fairer than that.

10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If I was going to recommend something, it would be the four "Golden Records" volumes. LPs that are standard but essential and diverse records in his discography. And in the event they wish to go deeper into the catalog, they wouldn't have to double dip as much as they might with other compilations. Nobody that I know who's an Elvis fan is without the first four.

The only drawback being they stop shy of his late 60s and early 70s output. So with that caveat I would also include "From Elvis In Memphis." I wouldn't worry so much about his late career stuff. You could also, of course, get the 5th volume of the former series, I've just never personally listened to it. I know all the songs, I've just never listened to it in context of an actual album.

[​IMG]

11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

12. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

A Dvd of the 1968 Tv Special is a good starting point, especially the stand-up segment.

13. ModernRetroRadio

ModernRetroRadio Forum Resident

I've got a pretty good track-record of changing a lot of minds about Elvis via CDs that I compiled myself. Many times.

14. ModernRetroRadio

If "Wearin' That Loved On Look" doesn't resonate with someone, then they have no soul -- at all.

ccbarr, NavyGrenadine and JimmyCool like this.
  15. ModernRetroRadio

It doesn't get much better than this. No relying on production value or heavy guitar effects -- just a pure, raw rockin' blues performance.

PepiJean and NavyGrenadine like this.
  16. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

- "A boy from Tupelo" (1953 / 1955) because you get to hear the process of a young nobody becoming a rockstar. Studio cuts, out-takes, demos, live stuff, etc. Plus a nice and thick book with a lot of info. Everything about the Hillbilly Cat.

- "Elvis'56" - a musical beauty with Presley groundbreaking year: from Heartbreak Hotel to Love Me, this is the essence of rock'n'roll music. Almost as magic as the previous set. Essential.

- "King Creole" (1958) : a powerful soundtrack that combines Rock, Blues, Pop and even some touches of Jazz. A coherent work with a singer at full blast. The movie is pretty interesting too.

- "Elvis is Back!" (1960) is largely based on R&b and the result is almost as exciting as Presley very first recordings. Vocally and sonically speaking, this Lp is second to none.

- "Elvis' golden records volume 3" (1963) : the most perfect 12 tracks selection to understand Elvis huge success between 1960 and 1962. The quality of the material is breathtaking.

17. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

The 50s box

[​IMG]
    Although the 70s box is what really crystallized it for me

[​IMG]

18. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I agree about the 50's box set ("The Complete 50's Masters"): it's truely a magnificent comp, also a very important one back in 1992 as it brought Elvis back to the limelight.
    The 70's boxset was more of a mixed bag with half hearted stuff with truely inspired recordings (the uncut I WASHED MY HANDS IN MUDDY WATER or AMAZING GRACE out-take 2, for example.) You really had to dig deep to find the nuggets.

19. NasuTek

NasuTek Doktor Kettu

I just bought ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits CD, damn this sounds good, no matter how old the recordings are.

ccbarr, JimmyCool and NavyGrenadine like this.
  20. NavyGrenadine

NavyGrenadine Forum Resident Thread Starter

An excellent compilation, 31 heavy hitters squeezed onto one CD.

ccbarr and NasuTek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.