Dumbest things people have told you about movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Not to me per se, but that there's Luke and a bigger Luke in Star Wars Episode IV, for some sinister reason that I haven't Luked into yet...

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sorry, but if your point in all that is that Napoleon Dynamite is comparable to Big Lebowski in any way, shape or form, you deserve to be taken out behind the barn and shot. It's fine if you like it or recommend it, but to misrepresent it so egregiously just to manipulate someone to watch it is not ok.

unclefred and MortSahlFan like this.
  3. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

I love ND too, but gosh...

musicfan37 and BrentB like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why did you re-write my quote to imply it had anything to do with Napoleon Dynamite and The Big Lebowski? I never said that.

I was quoting your post, in reference to the "want two hours of my life back" comment, and you changed my own quote on purpose.

That's pretty disingenuous. Even sadder, knowing it came from your original quote in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Ok, you didn't like your post being misinterpreted and used to make someone else's unrelated point? But that's exactly what you did in replying to me and taking the reason for wanting two hours of my life back out of context. I'm just using hyperbole anyway, like with the shot behind the barn comment--believe it or not I know I really can't get two hours of my life back or shoot anyone. Just figures of speech.

unclefred likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The point is, I was selecting the part of your own quote that was the reason for my post. You made it look like it had something to do with your own experience. I could have just brought up the "two hours of my life back" without giving you credit for it. Instead, you misstated my post, and my intent. There is a future for you in non-professional internet journalism.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

( groan )

Lownote30 and Jerk The Handle like this.
  8. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Sorry people are threadcrapping after you asked them not to.

9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Movie related: "Slats", The first MGM lion killed his trainer and two assistants.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

That they don't watch them EVER.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I know a few people like that.
    One woman I work with says she doesn't watch movies because she can't follow what is going on.

unclefred and rocnred like this.
  12. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

"The Dark Knight" is a remake of "Batman" (1989).

musicfan37 likes this.
  13. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Office TV had "GWTW" on...someone walked past and said: 'Oh, it's colorized"...I bit my tongue and explained that, no, this is Technicolor. Answer: "Oh, I didn't know they had color way back then..."

Two of my pet peeves when people "express themselves" about their taste in movies: That 1. It's B/W and "They don't watch those" or 2. That it has subtitles and "They don't watch those" either...it's one thing to debate if you like a film or not, but to dismiss out of hand hundreds of films based strictly on those criteria is...not my idea of critical thinking...

C.

14. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Sure, you know... way back in the Civil War, when they filmed it.

15. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

I love my wife. I do not love her judgement of movies. Let's leave it at that.

16. That Clint Eastwood’s character in High Plains drifter was the brother of the murdered sheriff. Nope.
    That the whole science fiction element of The Prestige was made up,and it was an elaborate trick by the main character.

Pete Puma and hi_watt like this.
  17. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

In Mad Max 2, some people believe that the character of the Lord Humongous, is Max's old friend Jim "Goose" from the first film.
    Another lame one is Max from Fury Road is the Feral Kid from Mad Max 2.

KeninDC and wayneklein like this.
  18. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

That Dark Side Of The Moon was in any way related to The Wizard Of Oz.

19. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

To be fair this is left deliberately ambiguous and never outrightly stated one way or the other if the stranger was the dead sheriff's brother or not. Early versions of the script made it clear he was the brother but Clint preferred to leave it open to interpretation. Interesting fact (which is true, sorry OP) is that in a flashback to the murder of the sheriff he is played by Buddy Van Horn who was Clint's stunt double. Which could suggest a likeness via relation or something more supernatural going on.

20. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yep. That one has got to be one of the most annoying ones.

boggs likes this.
  21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Some of these are pretty widely spread, well-known urban myths, like the Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz rumor, or the Three Men and a Baby "ghost". There was even a full-length documentary on Netflix about the Kubrick/Shining moon-landing theory. Those are silly, kind of like the "Paul McCartney is Dead!" stuff that some people still believe.

The ones where a random person apparently manufactures their own ridiculous theory on the spot are where things can really go off the deep end. I knew a guy back in high school who insisted that Robert Shaw died as a result of injuries suffered while being "eaten" by the mechanical shark in Jaws, even though he was in several films afterwards before he really did die.

hi_watt, mradmack, Lownote30 and 3 others like this.
  22. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Not directly about the film, but someone insisted to me that Singer's Midgets/the Munchkins in WIZARD OF OZ were so excited to see other midgets when they first congregated that they whooped and hollered and in reaction were sprayed on by a fire hose! She insisted it was true and she saw it on a documentary, but I've never read that anywhere!

hi_watt and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  23. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

There were a few tales, most probably apocryphal, about general debauched behaviour by the Munchkins. Judy Garland herself has been quoted as saying they would get drunk every night but this was denied by one of the actors themselves.

Margaret Pellegrini dies at 89; actress played Munchkin in 'Oz'

24. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Someone told me he thought that the original Blair Witch Project was real found footage.

25. Much like how a lot of people thought Spinal Tap was a real band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.