I Love Lucy Complete Series on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paul Guerrero, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Guerrero

Paul Guerrero Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I read a couple of threads on the subject but didn’t find what I was looking for. Hopefully this will help.

On Amazon, I see a couple of ‘I Love Lucy’ complete series for sale on DVD. One box is $33 and the other is $99. Does anyone know why? To further confuse matters, Amazon has linked the ratings for the two separate items together. So it’s hard to tell which box the buyer is rating. Here are the links to the items:

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Complete-Lucille-Ball/dp/B013FCLEIG

https://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Lucy-Complete/dp/B000TGJ8B2

I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thank you!!

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The expensive one, which I have, is lavishly packaged and a beautiful set. The other is just a bear bones set, which of course is fine if you just want the shows. I don’t recall paying full price for the deluxe one back when I got it on Amazon a few years ago either. If you are a huge fan I doubt the bonus eps are on the cheaper set, and at under $100 it’s a nice deluxe set. I also got the two blu-ray sets but they are not doing any more so I highly recommend the deluxe set and then you’re done forever!

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Paul Guerrero

Thank you for your response! How does your set store the DVD’s? Are they easy to access? The cheaper set looks like they just stack the DVDS on top of each other.

bmasters9 likes this.
  4. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I read in an interview that Bob Dylan likes to watch reruns of I Love Lucy. This was very heartwarming for me to know, as I watch them too! So now I can feel that my favorite legendary iconic singer songwriter and I have something in common - and a potential topic of conversation should I ever run into him on the line at Starbucks .

Now I realize this has nothing to do with what the OP asked, but isn't it nice to know? (I wonder what his favorite episode is ;) )

5. Paul Guerrero

I agree, that is very interesting:)

guitargal likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They are not especially convenient to access but it does look really nice displayed. If a big fan, I think long term you would be happy you got that one, especially at that price. I think Amazon was having one of their crazy short term deals on it for like $59 way back when and even though I already had all the dvds, I couldn’t resist it. But it’s well worth the $100 imo. You might want to pick up the two seasons on blu-ray if they are still cheap as I’m sure they will be gone forever once it’s sold out, if there are even any left now. They came out at an insanely high price because there are a lot of extras but people just woudn’t pay it so CBS discontinued with it and I got both pretty cheap.

Paul Guerrero likes this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I take it you mean something like this (OT, from the all-in-one of Vega$):

[​IMG]

8. Paul Guerrero

I have seen season two on blu-ray on amazon for a good price. Actually I just checked and season is even cheaper - $12. I think I’ll pick up the $99 DVD set too. Would you be willing to attach a picture of how the DVD’s are stored in your collection?

9. Paul Guerrero

Yes, exactly.

bmasters9 likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have all of the DVDs and some of the Blu-rays (they're not all out yet), but there's one old VHS Lucy show I can't get rid of:

[​IMG]

She autographed it for me when we worked on Life with Lucy. When I handed the tape to her, she peered at it, glared at me, and then said, "you know, I didn't get a f****n' dime for these things. You got a pen?" 100% true story. Tough old broad.

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That's hilarious. :laugh:

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the Heart shaped DVD box ...love it.

Paul Guerrero, audiomixer and Jrr like this.
  13. Michael

now that's a great story.

Jrr likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had that entire library and believe me, they got played repeatedly! You signed up and for only $29.95 you got four new episodes on each VHS tape every six weeks or so. I think there were 30 tapes so not cheap, but I treasured them. But not one had Lucy’s signature...lol. I went to a special event they used to have in Hollywood where you could watch a two hour talk from a few stars from a famous show. I went to the Columbo one with Peter Falk, William Shatner and a couple other guest stars of the show showed up to talk about it. Peter put a nice 45 minute highlight reel together and he was very generous with his time in answering questions. I thought I was so cool bringing a six disc laserdisc set for him to sign, which I still have, thinking he probably never saw one and would ask me about it. Nope, didn’t phase him at all. He kindly signed it and moved along.

And you won't see any more blu-rays. They sold so poorly at the original crazy high price, which is what they needed to get in order to justify the expense, they cancelled the rest. A shame as they are very well done, but in hindsight they should have just done a barebones blu-ray and simply carried the extras from the regular dvds over. Then package them as one box set for a reasonable price, not $80 a season. They should have known better than to even try that. An example of trying to give us too much for what the average person is willing to spend. Seven or so seasons at $80 is just more than most will spend, though I would have.

Shoes1916, OldSoul and Vidiot like this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup...a great set! Try and grab the blu-rays before they are gone forever. Only two seasons and they cancelled the rest. They are now stupid cheap on Amazon (I think season one is like $5 now...obviously they just want to get rid of them) and they are full of extras and so well done.

MrSka57 and Michael like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Too hard to post photos here, but the only hassle is pulling the heart box off the set. Same issue with the deluxe Monk set.

17. Michael

I have the BD of S1 of ILL ....Season 2 on BD is $29.98. I don't believe it ever dropped below that price...No thanks...

ramar likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, that's a drag. Realistically, 180 episodes of a 1950s TV show should only cost about a hundred bucks as a boxed Blu-ray set. The discs literally only cost about a buck apiece these days, and the whole show was mastered years ago. I blame the greedy Viacom bastids.

Lucy was the only actress I've ever seen who would ask the DP where her key light was, plus she constantly made sure that nobody upstaged anybody and that the camera had the right angle on each actor (particularly the kids). The only thing that marred her performance was she had a lot of trouble memorizing her lines, so they used cue cards all the way through. (I later found out from the producer that Miss Ball had done this as far back as Here's Lucy, so it was a crutch she had to lean on.) Life with Lucy was a horrible show, and I think ultimately she regretted doing it because it was a lousy finale to a long, long career, and she deserved better.

19. Michael

It would have been nice!

Vidiot likes this.
  20. I just had a closer look and the cheaper one just seems to be a repackaging of the expensive set, complete with all of the extras. Also, a couple of years ago, it was released in Australia at a very cheap price - about Au$65 - and it was basically the US discs with altered region and the local company logo. A very nice set. So the US set is bound to have dropped in price and dropped the fancy packaging.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I thought I just saw season two for around $13...that’s about what I paid as well. Keep an eye out! Surely worth it for that.

Michael likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If as Vidiot said they have been scanned in already, maybe we’ll see a box set for $99 or something! You really notice little set things that are not visible on the regular DVD, just like my import of the Columbo series on blu-ray.

Michael likes this.
  23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

One day the whole series will stream in HD on someone’s app.

chilinvilin and Michael like this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I highly doubt it. They will stream.

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think this disc is part of the cheaper set. Sold separately here.
    https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Mo...eddd1&pd_rd_wg=i0CIv&pd_rd_i=B00363WGIC&psc=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.