SACD : The Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1060BL ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoubleDecker, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleDecker

DoubleDecker Active Member Thread Starter

2. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

The BD-A1060 is being phased out, AFAIK. I have the previous model BD-A1040 in my HT/2-channel system.
    I've not seen any/many reviews of these Yamaha players, other than when they were first released. Although no longer available there, @ Crutchfield has reviews.

My BD-A1040 replaced a Pioneer BDP-51FD "elite" which had stopped reading CDs. Build-wise, the Yamaha was more in line with a higher level component, matched to the Adventage AVR lineup. I recall reviewers' complaints about the load time. Mine has a "quirk," where once the disc is loaded a 2nd time, it begins playing without hitting play. I've never ran a stopwatch time trial.

The sound quality meets my expectations, I had no SACDs to play on the Pioneer. The Yamaha has enticed me to add SACDs to my collection of discs. The Yamaha plays HDCDs also. For music listening, I chose "Pure Direct" on the remote. It shuts down the video circuits & turns off the display, with only a bright blue LED indicating the player is on.

There are a couple of SHMF members with the BD-A1060. The Amazon offer is MSRP; I'm not aware of any for sale elsewhere. I've considered getting a back-up unit.

DoubleDecker likes this.
  3. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

DoubleDecker likes this.
  4. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I just bough an UBP-X1100es as well. I looked for a Yamaha player, as to match my RX-A3030 AVR, but couldn't find a new one. Only used or refurbished.
    So, I went with the Sony. So far, so good. It's played every disc I've tried, and it's finish closely matches the look of my Yamaha too. So, I'm happy.

DoubleDecker and telemike like this.
  5. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Good to know. I have an 11 year old Sony Blu-ray player that still works, but it won't play 4K discs.

StimpyWan likes this.
  6. DoubleDecker

Any other new $500 range SACD players that are recommended?

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have one. It performs better as a CD player than Blu-Ray. Luckily for me that's primarily what I use it for. Its onboard DAC is good but its sound improves with an external DAC.

4xoddic and DoubleDecker like this.
  9. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Yamaha recently discontinued their BD-S681 Blu-Ray player. It supports SACD. Keep an eye out at Accessories4Less, to see if one shows up.

4xoddic likes this.
  10. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Just got my Sony. Has a good weight and feel to the build. Plays everything I need disc wise. SACD, BR, DVD, CD. The media server finds my DLNA NAS and can play video and audio files from it. No cover art like a Roon or Volumio. Usable none the less. Won't use the internet apps as I have a Roku TV. Cons are no physical play buttons and display is minimalist. Though this seems to have been made for the custom home theater install where it's tucked away in an equipment closet and controlled via RS232 home automation.

StimpyWan likes this.
  11. DoubleDecker

Please tell us about the SACD quality!

12. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

It sounds good to me. I only have a handful. Doesn't play burned sacd-r

DoubleDecker likes this.
  13. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Listened some more comparing DSD vs PCM via coax and the Sony DAC sounds really good to me.

DoubleDecker likes this.
  14. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

I'm confused, if you used the Sony via coax, you bypass its DACs(?)

15. DoubleDecker

I took it to mean that in comparison of DAC vs bypass the Dac sounded good. No confusion.

16. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

Hmmm... PCM vs. DSD is the digital signal being passed by coax to what ever DAC is doing the decoding. It isn't clear that the analog outputs of the Sony are being used. So we aren't given any information on the sound quality of the DAC and analog section of the player. I have the x800m2 which has no analog out, but I can pick between PCM and DSD being fed to my processor.

17. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

The analog outs of the Sony playing an SACD sounds better than sending PCM out the Coax to my Rotel RA-12 and using it's internal DAC. SO, the Sony DAC is good

DoubleDecker and Barry_NJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.