POLL: Who was the best US 70's Punk Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ryuundo, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I voted Ramones/Television/Patti, but there are so many fantastic bands missing from the list (T. Heads and Blondie to name two)that my choices are almost meaningless in the scheme of things. Good to see Suicide on the list.

Big Blue likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You have the very enviable benefit of having seen a lot of the bands you would likely add to the list!

ralphb likes this.
  3. I voted Ramones their self titled album is one my favorite albums ever.

Mackaveli and Big Blue like this.
  4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While I’m only familiar with the NYC bands on the list which I saw numerous times. The Ramones defined punk. When you talk about Patti Smith Television, Talking Heads, Blondie, etc. They were all too skilled and lacked the aggression to be classified as punk. Suicide was an altogether different band they were pure artsy, part krautrock, part Silver Apples and beat poet.
    UK punk was far more punk than the US.

5. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. For example, Elvis Costello's My Aim is True dropped in 1977, as did the Talking Heads '77.

Are We Not Men? We Are Devo! came out the next year as did Parallel Lines (Blonde) to just name a few seminal New Wave albums.

In my experience, there was a pretty bright line at the time in my circles between what was considered punk and what was considered New Wave.

I liked groups in both categories--so no problem with me--but conflating the two could get one on the wrong side of some people at the time. Believe me.

Bill

Earscape and Big Blue like this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I know when these things were released, and I can certainly recognize them as being what is classified as New Wave. I just had no idea people were already calling it that contemporaneously in the ‘70s. Look at that, I learned something!

Spy Car likes this.
  7. arriano

arriano The California Kid

The Germs

8. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Other - Pere Ubu was the only interesting punk band from the US or anywhere.

Cherrycherry and mr. steak like this.
  9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Patti Smith is a pretensious opportunist.

10. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

I voted 'other,' because Hall and Oates weren't on the list.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. ralphb

Television's first gig was March 1974, although they had formed very late 1973 after the Neon Boys broke up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    dkmonroe likes this.
  12. Beyond Mania

Beyond Mania Forum Resident

Misfits

Mackaveli likes this.
  13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Gotta go with the Ramones. Love Television as well though.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I would say the same thing about Pere Ubu who emerged out of the ashes of the garage rock outfit Rocket From The Tombs before releasing their first single, the extraordinary "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" b/w "Heart of Darkness", in 1975. They actually were influenced by the likes of Van Der Graaf Generator, Captain Beefheart and some of the German bands but they certainly put their own spin on this kind of art rock with a punk inflected sense of urgency.

15. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Yes, New Wave definitely was a contemporaneous term used at the time to distinguish punk bands from the more pop oriented (if you will) acts that grew out of the same zeitgeist. 100%.

Many clubs in the day booked both punk and New Wave acts. There was a lot of cross-over (generally speaking) between fan bases, but there were also hard-core punks who kept a distance from New Wave acts.

What can you do? LOL.

Bill

Big Blue likes this.
  16. ralphb

I don't see 1975 as pre-dating the punk scene. Television, Ramones and others were already playing out in 1974 which is where I mark the beginning of it all, but I get that it seems a bit early to most.

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The Dead Kennedys certainly drew a line in the sand between punk and new wave when they did “pull my strings” in 1980

18. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, Television was a bit earlier, but they both released their first singles in '75 and their debut albums in '77. Pere Ubu's early singles form a substantial legacy in themselves whereas Television only gave us "Little Johnny Jewel", which is promising but not as fully formed, imo.

20. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i am currently reading "please kill me" which is an oral history of new york and related music that preceded punk , developed punk and was punk. i never considered johnny thunders or the heartbreakers punk nor do i consider televison or patti smith punk. on that list the only ones i consider punk are ramones-avengers-germs-richard hell and the voidoids- the dead boys were kinda punk but more just hard rock. my favorite from the list is johnny thunders and the heartbreakers the most punk would have to be the germs. if you have not and are interested in late 60's - early 80's underground /punk scene in NYC and beyond do yourself a favor and grab a copy of "please kill me" it's a real page turner. and for the record i am going to vote for the heartbreakers cause i love L.A.M.F. so much.

Spy Car likes this.
  21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

There's a lot of Roxy Music in Pere Ubu.

22. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

I had the opportunity to see Pere Ubu at the Whiskey A Go Go in West Hollywood, summer of 1979 IMS.

They had a small--but fierce--cult following among students at UC Berkeley (where I was in school) at the time and I was stoked that they played LA when I was home on summer break.

Not sure that I personally considered Pere Ubu a punk rock band, as much as an art rock band, but I was definitely a fan.

I've got these arms and legs that flip flop

Flip flop

Bill

klockwerk, Tristero and Cherrycherry like this.
  23. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

The Screamers.

Scope J likes this.
  24. Earscape

Earscape Forum Resident

Ramones, no question. I would also have voted for Iggy and the Stooges except they weren't on the poll.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Shouldn't you just answer honestly?

I mean, if it's a toss-up, then sure - pick the underdog.

But if you clearly prefer the "overdog", vote for that one! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.