Any fans of Bad Brains here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

SST isn’t even currently selling I AGAINST I. What the hell is Greg Ginn doing?

Skydog7 and jusbe like this.
  2. Earscape

Earscape Forum Resident

I have a patchy liking for the band. I think the Black Dots album is great, and I like this video of Bad Brains doing Banned in DC at CBGBs, which is a classic punk gig experience:

However, I have to admit I'm not too keen on their other albums.

ArpMoog and Greenalishi like this.
  3. arem

arem Forum Resident

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. deege3000

deege3000 Forum Resident

Same. Had tickets for them twice but they cancelled. Actually went down to the venue once but there was a sign on the door.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The original mix is much better than the early 90s Caroline remix.

6. I wonder what the Meat Puppets and Dinosaur Jr did to get their masters back that the Bad Brains (and Husker Du) can’t seem to get done...

7. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

I saw them a couple of times at the place I used to work. They were pretty amazing. Here is an ad I found from one of those gigs. I got to see this stuff every week!
    [​IMG]

Brewbs, Robotlove, arem and 1 other person like this.
  8. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

They were long mine because I only saw the Israel Joseph I version in 1993–so just Dr. Know and Daryl Jennifer. And I never thought it counted. They used the Quickness cover photo for the flyer so I didn’t know it wasn’t going to be HR (I actually separated or dislocated my shoulder moshing the first injury I never recovered from, an unknown first indicator of growing older.)

Then around 2000(?) they toured as Soul Brains. But it was the Bad Brains with HR and Earl. It was a really great show at the House of Blues. A highlight for me was Daryl pointing out my CBGB shirt from the stage and saying something about “Old skool ***t right there!”

One of the greatest bands I have ever heard. Their music has stayed in rotation since first hearing i against i back in 1987. I still get the same sense of excitement every time I hear the opening notes of Intro...

bcaulf likes this.
  9. Philo

Philo Music Maven

10. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Thanks. Any info on the quality? I'm wondering if they got control of the original tapes masters, and if they are improved from there.

11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

This kills me. Ginn is a a h... So funny because original intent was about the music. Looks like he only cares about the dollar.

Amazing catalogue of artists on SST. Most of em not wealthy.

FuturisticWorkshop and bcaulf like this.
  12. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

I like them in patches. I've been loving Quickness recently. Dr Know's guitar playing sits just nicely between punk and metal.

Greenalishi and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Never get tired of the opening of that LP. So f'n awesome.

Greenalishi and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Update-SST is currently selling I AGAINST I on their site. Maybe it’s to preemptively avoid a lawsuit

PaulJay likes this.
  15. Greenalishi

Just got the reissue of Pay to Come 7 inch from Aomeba. Great

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

I love them. I was lucky enough to see them with HR and Earl for the God of Love tour (HR out on bail and dancing with handcuffs dangling from one wrist!). I also saw the on the Rise tour with Mackie on drums and Israel Joseph on vocals. Great show too. Sad how thing when for the band due to HR’s ******** over the decades. Daryl has wanted to kill him more than once for sabotaging the band’s career. I don’t blame him.

17. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Who from the Whigs? Rick on guitar?

18. Greenalishi

Just got The Quickness. Really cool. Way better than I Against I.

getitgoin and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

That's right. It definitely wasn't Greg Dulli.

20. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Did anyone pick up the new reissue of the self-titled? I’m curious about the sound quality..

21. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I am also curious if anyone has received the new self titled repress? It was supposed to be out last week and I haven't received anything as far as product or a delay notification email.

22. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I just got a shipping notification for it a few minutes ago.

23. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Me too. I guess I should have waited an hour before posting

24. KristianS

KristianS Forum Resident

Discovered them when they release Quickness, its probably still my favourite Bad Brains album but I happily play the older stuff too. The last 2 albums were very disappointing, or perhaps I just never gave them a chance.

25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Skipped the pre-order for the s/t, but will likely pick it up when it hits the stores. I just have one of the colored vinyl reissues which is OK. It's Rock for Light that I am most psyched for...jumped on that the minute it was announced.