Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

New, not-as-good coupon just kicked off:
    TEAPOT gets you 10% off when you buy 3 or more in-stock items.

superstar19 and SJP like this.
  2. hutlock

3. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Ahhh man, that would have been a good one! I guess I can do it at 10%. Or, with Gang Of Four, Pylon, John Lennon/POB and The Who boxes all on the horizon, I can just leave well enough alone! :D

samwisefan and hutlock like this.
  4. hutlock

Yeah, even with an extra $2.98 shipping charge it worked out cheaper than Amazon by a few bucks.

But I definitely see your point about those other boxes. Ugh.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

And my HELP $8.79 order gets cancelled (cancelled at $6 previously)?

6. hutlock

Man. What is up with that? Buncha BS.

samwisefan and latheofheaven like this.
  7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Last year, I received the Bowie 7" picture single Beauty and the Beast, after it was cancelled and refunded. I emailed them and got no response.

Last year, DD cancelled a Springsteen Dublin LP order, several different times. I mentioned it in an email and they responded that I could buy it at the sale price when becomes available. They honored that email, refunding the difference of about $25 about a month later.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  8. hutlock

Yeah they have definitely shipped me something after it was already cancelled and refunded, too. You would think this kind of thing would prompt them to fix their rotten inventory system but oh well....

9. hype

hype Forum Resident

Most people here aren't going after new releases very often on DD so it's kind of irrelevant to talk about regular priced $30 albums tbh.. Much of these BargainBins and highly discounted records are much lower then Amazon or anywhere else (unless deepdiscount or one of there other stores are the seller on amazon, which also happens sometimes). If it still doesn't "do much for you" then hop back in the Amazon thread and ignore this one because it "does much for others".

SJP and hutlock like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saved about $16 on the purchase of my two Japanese import SACDs, when you consider the $3.99 shipping on each and then add sales tax at Amazon.

hype, jhm and hutlock like this.
  11. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I'm just comparing vinyl prices, for the most part DD is higher. Please don't speak for 'most people here', I'm sure there are PLENTY of people buying new releases, considering the volume this company sells. But I can see Amazon makes people emotional around here lol...

12. hype

hype Forum Resident

I def. See "most" people discussing bargainbin items in the deep discount thread by a pretty large margin but alrighty.. sounds like you got all the answers anyways Pali pal. No reason to argue and nobodies getting emotional your replies just make no sense tbh for what "many" are going after. There's an amazon thread as well, js.

hutlock and SJP like this.
  13. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

So in response to this part of the conversation I have to say one thing... Several months ago, when I first discovered Deep Discount I had pre-ordered three super deluxe boxed sets using a discount code: Prince's "Sign O the Times," Tears For Fears' "The Seeds of Love," and Ultravox's "Vienna." Of those three the only one I actually got was Prince. My order status of other two became "backordered" on the day of release. I sent an angry email asking how they could take my money as a pre-order, but still not have a copy to send me. (Isn't that what pre-ordering is for? To make sure they have enough copies?!) I got a routine response basically saying I could cancel the orders or wait to see if they get them back in stock. I was so furious I almost completely wrote Deep Discount off. (But the lure of the Blowout Bin has made me stay. Especially after I had read comments on here about big dumps of new items.) I ended up canceling both orders and buying them elsewhere at a greater cost. Very frustrating.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had a pre-order experience like this? It's made me very hesitant to ever pre-order anything from them again. Especially an item that's super important to me that I'm dying to get my hands on, like those two were.

[Apologies if I've already talked about this experience on the thread before. It seems the older I get the less I can remember. LOL!]

popscene and latheofheaven like this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yes, only once. My pre-order of "The Seeds Of Love" met the same fate as yours. I texted my buddy for whom I had ordered a copy as well and let him know that we were out of luck. The box had already become unobtainium and prices were surging. That was until I checked uDiscover on a whim and I was able to score the TFF box, even a tiny bit less than DD. Of course this saw another pressing but I'd have been really bummed if I couldn't get it.

That said, when the Japan "Quiet Life" box was announced, it was only available out of the UK/Europe (?) and prices were stupid. When it appeared on Amazon, $70 looked like a bargain and I promptly ordered it. Even when it became available later on DD/importCDs/etc., I didn't trust them to fulfill even though I probably could have paid $15-20 less. Looks like some have shipped but this is one that I trusted Amazon more than DD.

Regardless, I've probably placed over 100 orders with DD over the years and I will continue to do so.

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what is wrong with you? this thread is about the deep discounts on deep discount. maybe try reading through it a bit more.

Gregalor, hutlock, hype and 4 others like this.
  16. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

:laugh:

I refrained from commenting something similar, but laughed when I saw your comment.

superstar19 and hutlock like this.
  17. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Also, once you order something and it is in stock, you will not be able to cancel it.
    So make sure you really want that 86% off item. :laugh:

I sometimes catch myself loading up my cart just because the items are so cheap.
    I then go back and delete a lot of stuff that I will probably not listen to (or like)...

18. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

Yeah, I was panicking too because of TFF's surging prices. I'm glad you were still able to find it at an equivalent/better price.

I did the same with Japan. Actually, I purchased it on Amazon last fall when it briefly went on sale for one day. They never canceled my order and when a new release date was announced I didn't even bother to look for a better deal. I seem to remember reading that there would only be 500 copies and in those instances securing the purchase far outweighs getting a bargain.
    Actually, here's the original article I read that stated the quantity: UPDATE: Japan Album, Quiet Life, To Be Reissued In 3CD/1LP Box Remastered But as I notice it's being sold on Target's website, it's possible they've re-thought the limited quantity idea.

Thanks for the response.

SJP and latheofheaven like this.
  19. hutlock

Yep, I pre-ordered the New Order Power, Corruption and Lies set from DD and it showed up on Amazon weeks before. I let it ride and I got it about 4 weeks after street date at my pre-order price. I figured it wouldn’t be impossible to get later so I let it coast and they eventually came up with the goods. But I think it definitely depends on the box set and all that for sure.

In the case of the Quiet Life set, it was already in stock at DD so I figured I was safe to grab it there but yeah, pre-orders are always a bit dicey with them, even though it is the biggest distributor on the planet. I don’t understand it, but that’s how it has worked out so far...

20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

If you have rakuten you get 3% back on deep discount, that adds up quickly. With sales + rakuten + frees hipping I do way better on deep discount than Amazon.

hutlock and superstar19 like this.
  21. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Lol, ok Senator. I'm don't think 10% off classifies as a deep discount by anyone's standards, so moot point.
    If you read my posts you'd know I'm talking only about vinyl, in which case 10/15% off their bloated vinyl prices (ie many titles around $30) is nothing to get excited over. Just my vinyl observation, YMMV obviously.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've noticed that all of the sales alert emails that I've gotten from them for the past several weeks now specify IN STOCK ITEMS ONLY. Never used to say that. That means I can no longer use them for preorders which is what I mainly do. Oh well, the end of an era I guess.

23. espartaco

espartaco Forum Resident

The 10% code PLUNGE still works and works for preorders.

slipkid and Critter like this.
  24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Amazing bargain: All this for under $58.

Cat not included.

[​IMG]

603497854431 Utopia: The Complete Bearsville Singles (1977-1982) - Utopia $10.24

075597926767 Last Date - Emmylou Harris $6.44

4050538479539 Kind Heaven - Perry Farrell $6.08

098787116915 Blood // Sugar // Secs // Traffic - Gotobeds $5.73

5055300332332 Collisions 02 - Oneida $3.99

843563119754 Land Of The Lost - Wipers $4.50

606822035918 Tommy 30 - The Wedding Present $3.99

825479935123 Weirdo - Five Eight $4.56

759656065412 Emerald Valley - Filthy Friends $4.42

600197010211 All of It & Nothing - Hamish Kilgour $3.99

744861145516 Days Of The Bagnold Summer - Belle and Sebastian $3.99

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

As an estimate of value, Discogs indicates the combined "Median" value of these 11 LPs is:

Value: Min $145.36 Med $190.74 Max $266.15

So these are indeed a bargain, and every one is an LP that I'm pleased to add to my collection... Well, I guess I'll have to give the Perry Farrell a listen first ... :laugh:

edkall, SJP, hutlock and 3 others like this.