Poll: Which version of Sandoval's updated Monkees book are you purchasing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Mc, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member Thread Starter

Andrew Sandoval has re-written his 2005 book and expanded it to more than double the size. Which version(s) are you purchasing?

To obtain a signed and numbered hardcover edition, you must register at beatlandbooks.com and reserve a copy before 12pm (PST) March 22, 2021. Books will be billed in May and delivered in June 2021.

• Super Deluxe Edition ($225)
      • lowest numbered hardback book
      • individually hand signed by the author
      • boxed in an exclusive, cloth-covered clamshell case
      • clothbound cover with red & yellow decorative bookmarks
      • separate paper dust jacket
      • includes exclusive 32-page photo book of rare & previously unpublished images
    • Deluxe Edition ($175)
      • hand numbered and signed by author
      • hardback edition in an exclusive slipcover
      • clothbound cover with red & yellow decorative bookmarks
      • separate paper dust jacket.
    • Open Edition ($75)
      • flexibound with soft paper cover
      • contains entire text of deluxe book without extras
      • not limited, signed or numbered
    All editions: 732+ pages, printed on 157gsm matte paper stock in full color.

First published in 2005, Andrew Sandoval’s The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story is the definitive reference source for the history of Michael Nesmith, Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork. Now completely rewritten, redesigned and substantially expanded to more than double the original content, the new editions of the book (which cover the years 1942 to 1970) span over 700 pages. Lavishly illustrated in full color and printed at the highest quality in three unique configurations, copies of The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story are now available for reservation from Beatland Books.

The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story explores all of the band’s recording dates (with full session personnel) based on a first-hand, real time review of their unissued session tapes and internal recording documents, plus the American Federation of Musicians’ historic contracts. The Monkees series shooting dates and those for the feature film Head are also presented with reproductions of unpublished stills and unique call sheets. The book further captures every concert appearance made by the Monkees or its members, as well television and radio appearances.

The product of four decades of research, The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story features exclusive and previously unpublished interviews with the group and their associates conducted over a 32-year period by author Andrew Sandoval. The diary format reveals thousands of pages of newly discovered legal documents, internal memos, contracts and contemporary news reporting. Hundreds of images (many previously unpublished) are gathered together for the first time to take you through the story visually.

Even if you own every Monkees reissue, have collected every book about the group and can access further information on the Internet, you still will not have the material contained in this edition.

2. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

I'm getting the Super Deluxe Edition for myself and the Deluxe Edition for my 22 year old son. I have my son to thank for my renewed interest in the Monkees as he got interested in them through the Shrek movies (I know, I know) and came home from daycare singing I'm A Believer. I wanted him to know the origin of the song wasn't a cartoon ogre, so I pulled out my beat up copy of More Of The Monkees and he was hooked. His interest and constant rotation of their music got my interest renewed and it was common interest. Many years later, and we've seen the Monkees in concert 3 times and Michael Nesmith solo 3 times.

I've had the pleasure of speaking with Andrew in person at some of the concerts and he is a truly kind person. Looking forward to reading his new book.

3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I’m saving towards the SD edition. Since payment isn’t due till May, that gives me time to set the money aside. It’ll be worth it with all the extras that will be included with it.

4. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

$75 is my upper-limit for a book (especially considering I have the 2005 edition) and having read the Rolling Stone interview it sounds like it's worth it for that. If one of the other editions came with a 20-track CD with all unreleased material, I might have bit on one of the more expensive option.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

$75 will make it about the most I have ever spent on a book. I think the Rogan Byrds one may have been in that ballpark too, but it was a nice hardback edition.

6. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

7. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

The 2005 edition told me all I needed to ever know and am happy enough to stick with that.

t-man 54, Suncola, Keith V and 2 others like this.
  8. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Buying one of each edition

9. If there’s an e-book version I’ll get that, if not I’ll still with the 2005 edition.

Michael, Brian Mc and BobT like this.
  10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I am going with the Super Deluxe edition. I was aware that this was coming for several months, so I was able to save my dollars to be able to afford this. This will be , by far, the most expensive book I have ever purchased or owned. I absolutely love the first book by Andrew, and I am counting the hours until I can have this in my hands. This is the 2nd most anticipated Monkees release for me (HQ Sessions is #1). Considered getting a second copy for use, but that is just too much considering my youngest is going off to college in the fall.

RobRoyF, Hep Alien, Brian Mc and 3 others like this.
  11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Andrew has stated no E-book coming.

12. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The gargantuan super deluxe edition, to match the size of my..... Monkeys collection.

13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The big one and the softcover.

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Missed out on the original edition but borrowed a friend's recently, so this is great news. In for the $75 version!

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Where is the "none of them" option?
    I'd like to have the SD version, but it's just too pricey for my wallet.

TonyACT, Shawn and cloggedmind like this.
  16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Not anymore expensive than the Genesis Beatles books.

FJC1966 and JoeRockhead like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I know what I should do is buy 2 of the super deluxes one to sell and one to keep. Then I would get the one to keep for free as I can't imagine not being able to sell the other one for $500+ when it is out of print. The question is am I smart enough to do it, probably not.

18. Don Cooper

Don Cooper Well-Known Member

Only able to opt for Open Edition as a tad worried about the dreaded 'Shipping Costs.'

Essential purchase, nonetheless.

Thankyou, Andrew Sandoval.ats.

GerryO, Brian Mc and cloggedmind like this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

What do folks that have the original 2005 edition think about that book. To me it is the most insightful useful book on the Monkees every written. I also love that it documents Michael's solo years as well or at least the beginning of them. I would like to have that part expanded as well, but it sounds like the expansion mainly covers additional info on 1967?

20. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

I'm going with the SDE and the $75 version. I intend on poring over this book once I get it, so I don't want to bend and crease the SDE version. I want to keep the SDE in pristine condition.

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Deluxe edition.

It's a lot, but I felt I had to at least do hardcover for this .. and to support Andrew.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The 2005 book is my go to Monkees reference book. Andrew's original idea was to update his 2005 book with expanded info on the after 1970 years, but the court documents from 1967 had him decide to rewrite the entire book, and concentrate on the original Monkees years. I personally think that was the right call.

23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I never had the 2005 edition, so Deluxe edition-$175.00 it is

24. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Same

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.