Rush: 2112 CD *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebisch, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident Thread Starter

So my MFSL 2112 CD was destroyed in a fire. I never thought it was grating like many here do. That said, I will be replacing the CD with something. While doing some reading here, I ran into this...

"For an overall less "grating" or "shrill" 2112 the original Canadian Anthem [ANC or VANK - same mastering, sound etc] is great alternative and a really nice sounding disc."

"My personal fave for this one."

Is this a consensus? Is it a worthy MFSL replacement? I do like less grating and smooth.

DiabloG and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm guessing DG posted that?
    I'd go with his suggestion. He's done some pretty impressive work when it comes to Rush.
    I have old US mastering (US PDO Silver) I enjoy so I never went further. :)
    Peaks-
    DR13 -0.40 dB -16.54 dB 20:38 01-2112 I.Overture II.The Temples Of Syrinx III.Discovery IV.Presentation V.Oracle: The Dream VI.Soliloquy VII.Grand Finale
    DR13 -0.43 dB -16.04 dB 3:34 02-A Passage To Bangkok
    DR13 -2.77 dB -18.18 dB 3:19 03-The Twilight Zone
    DR13 -1.46 dB -16.90 dB 3:53 04-Lessons
    DR12 -5.18 dB -22.38 dB 3:35 05-Tears
    DR13 -3.06 dB -18.45 dB 4:00 06-Something For Nothing
    My US has indexing for cd players that can do it.
    @Diablo Griffin
    Is the Canadian indexed as well?

Dr. Funk and DiabloG like this.
  3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Sorry to hear about your situation. That MFSL is a fine CD; very smooth and warm. I don't know why most members feel that it's bright and ear-bleeding, though most of the negative comments about it are on the the old Rush CD thread. I don't know if opinions on it have changed since then, but I don't think it's bright or harsh at all.

The Anthem is a good alternative. Not fatiguing, so it gets my approval. It has slightly less bass though, but it may sound cleaner than the MFSL depending on your equipment. There's a reasonably priced copy on Discogs right now. It's a reissue with the same mastering and much better liner notes than the older versions. It's the ideal one to get if you want the Anthem: Rush - 2112: CD, Album, RE For Sale | Discogs

The Mercury CD uses the same digital transfer as the Anthem, but with slightly boosted bass and treble. The title track can get a little shrill at times, though the rest of the album isn't too bad. If you can't find the Anthem or you don't want seek out the MFSL again, this is your best option.

I'd assume the Anthem has indexing too, though I don't have a player that supports it. :hide:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    c-eling and Dr. Funk like this.
  4. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you saying that any pre remaster series run of the mill Mercury CD is OK?

Also, as far as the ANC and VANK recommendation, does the ANC and VANK number make a difference? Club versions OK?

5. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

The MFSL CD and the 40th anniversary 24/192 release (NOT the 24/96 Sector 1 box release) both are fine discs, and I get no ear bleeding with either. They both have competing DR numbers with what you show above (12's and 13's).

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Yes, the Mercurys should be fine. As for the Anthems, they're all the same regardless of whether the number has ANC, ANC, VANK, or ANMD. Club editions are the same as the regular versions for this album as well. If you want the ANMD version, make sure the number is 1004. There's a later one with 1078, which is the 1997 remaster. The one I linked above is a 1004, so it's the original mastering.

7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I seem to like the 2015 2112 CD over the The Sector, 2011, 1997, Mobile Fidelity, original Atomic and original Anthem. The Mobile Fidelity is my least favorite audiophile Rush CD. I don't mind warm sounding Rush CDs, in fact I prefer them, but I don't think that treatment works with the character of this particular CD (Feel the same way about Appetite For Destruction and Smells Like Teen Spirit Mobile Fidelity's so for me it might be a stylistic preference as certain recordings seem to benefit from a more harsh presentation.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.