' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Hmmm....I see it's available on Prime for $24.99.
    At that price my curiousity will remain unsatisfied.

Anthrax likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Wait 'til it comes out on DVD or Blu-Ray, you'll probably be able to pick it up for $10 or so when they start to reduce the price of them after the initial rush. Christmas time usually has a lot of movies that were released earlier in the year go on sale as stocking stuffers, etc.

That or wait a year or so, hit the thrift stores, and find a used copy for a buck or two. That's what I'll probably do...

3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I watched Godzilla vs. Kong last night and I thought it was pretty terrible. Most of the monster CGI stuff looked nicely designed but any time the movie cut to the characters and whatever **** they were doing, it was tune-out time. One thing the movie could have absolutely done without is the obnoxious group of characters featuring Eleven, Young Aussie Wolfgang Van Halen and Black Alex Jones who somehow manage to connect and infiltrate the most unsecured bad guy secret facility ever portrayed in a movie. The only actor/character that came away with their relative dignity intact was the deaf sign language kid.

I will also say Legendary's design for Godzilla throughout the 3 movies sucks. I hate the elephant footed, tiny head, toad monster look. Which is a shame as they got Kong right as well as Rodan and even Ghidorah in the last movie.

It's weird, but I rarely have a problem suspending disbelief and enjoying the original Japanese Godzilla flicks especially from the 60's. All of the American made ones I have to various degrees just hated. It's like the US films strive so hard to do realistic CGI effects and have big budget production values which curiously undermine the basic idea of gigantic, physically impossible monsters traipsing through cities.

I think one thing American producers just never got with any of the Godzilla films they've done is they need to follow a sort of logic in the plot and the constraints of the "world" in their movies. Just because it's a movie about giant creatures, they still need to adhere to the basic tenants of plot and characterization. IMO, the only American giant monster movie of this type in the last couple decades that got it mostly right was Pacific Rim.

2 outta 5, and it gets a 2 just because much of the CG monster stuff in the first 3/4ths of the movie looked really good. I do think the CG quality took a dip in the final 3 way daylight fight.

My ranking of the "Monsterverse" movies....

Kong Skull Island
    Godzilla 2014
    Godzilla King Of The Monsters
    Godzilla vs Kong

brockgaw, JediJones, jlocke08 and 3 others like this.
  4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That's awesome! :cheers:

Manapua likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

too long.

there is a 'second storyline" with an older podcast guy and 2 high school kids that has so little to do with the story it could have been left on the cutting room floor and the movie would have been 10x bette4r and a half hour shorter.

the special effects and the sound are wonderful.

all of the acting is tepid, to put it nicely. the worst role rebecca hall has ever had.

JediJones, jlocke08 and Curveboy like this.
  6. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Nah... I truly can't imagine myself in a movie theater until the release of "Dune". And if they screw that one up (again), I might never step into a movie theater again.

7. I was happily surprised when Elvis Presley’s ‘Loving Arms’ was used in a key moment of the film.

MedozK likes this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Thank you - in my experience, rate of consumption of Twizzlers is directly proportional to the perception of a film. so, we have to include all this in the calculus.

what was the barometric pressure in theater, btw, and the median temperate Celsius?

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Median? Are you concerned about substantial heterogeneity over time and space? My perception was that it was relatively consistent, about 71 degrees F, which I base on my decision to take off my sweater and just wear a t-shirt.

10. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Man this is spot on. Along with a previous post about writers just throwing crap at the wall and then choosing all of it. I know now I should have seen last Godzilla pic to catch some of the carryover but I haven’t been this disappointed in a film in a while. Am I the only one who thought some fight scenes were choreographed after some old 80’s or 90’s WWF bouts? Don’t waste $32 like did at Cinemark XD. If you want to see it HBO Max at home is the way to go IMO.

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

What happened to the sequel? Godzilla Goes To Court-with Raymond Burr as Perry Mason!!!

Mechanical Man likes this.
  12. Partyslammer

That's exactly what I did. I did a month's subscription to HBOMax as I have a great home theater setup and I figured between GvsK, the Snyder cut of Justice League, a few other movies and tv series, I'd milk my money's worth out of the $15 for April and can my subscription at the end of the month.

[​IMG]

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Cancel? Because there's nothing else of much better substance on HBO MAX? :biglaugh:

14. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

What is Black Alex Jones?

moops likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

This only applies if you use precisely calibrated hygrometers (at least 3, 4 rows apart, then average the readings in 20 minute increments). Other would get annoyed when I tried to place my instruments or even - get this - question my endeavors. My response: "You watching a Godzilla movie, how can you possibly be anti-science?"

SBurke likes this.
  16. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I don't know what some people expect from a movie called "Godzilla Vs Kong". It's a movie about giant monsters. It's meant to appeal to a childlike sense of wonder, which I still have.

For example, in the last Godzilla movie, when he fires up that atomic breath to take out the Muto at the end, I get chills. Even on repeated viewings.

It's not high art, it's not 'cinema'.

Have fun with it. If you don't like movies with giant monsters, don't see it.

17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Cloverfield got it right.

Curveboy and Veronica Mars like this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Seriously, who goes to a monster movie for the human element? Stomp! Stomp! Stomp!

SandAndGlass, Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

:laugh:

For a truly immersive experience, they should have pumped up the humidity and temps while we were on Skull Island.

But you should have seen this crowd -- after the previews had ended, the woman two seats to my left turned to me and said, "What movie is playing in this theater?"

JediJones, Pete Puma and PhilBorder like this.
  20. Partyslammer

Anything else I'd otherwise watch on HBOMax (aka: Warner Bros) I have on Blu-ray.

21. Partyslammer

As far as a street level perspective on a giant monster attack, yeah I agree. I'm not a big fan of the whole "found footage" genre and the characters were beyond annoying but several set pieces involving the monster, especially the thunderous sound design was excellent.

22. Agree. I sometimes think people forget what they're watching - it's a Godzilla movie fer-cryin'-out-loud. There's certainly a strong case for the very first one (1954, Japan version not US) being a more serious film but all of them after that? Forget it. And I say that as a huge Godzilla and Kaiju fan. Just have fun with it and don't look for MacBeth or Citizen Kane.

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Go go Godzilla

The Revealer and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Similar movies?

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The roar I grew up with.