Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

If I’m not mistaken, World Party’s
    “She’s the One” was written for the film, but for some reason was not used.

Hep Alien and bobloblaw like this.
  2. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

@ryan de topanga once mentioned something about how the eventual reissue of Wildflowers would clarify why She's The One wasn't included with the Hi-Res reissues in 2015. While that did clear it up partially, this new announcement clears up that picture quite a bit more. Which leads me to believe that TP was very much a part of this decision making process to reimagine STO as a more conventional Heartbreakers album.

I understand the commentary that Thirteen Days could have/should have been a part of the Wildflowers reissue, but it's nice to know that we'll eventually have all the content from this era and we can assemble playlists to suit our tastes.

ARK, Hep Alien, TheLoveDrags and 3 others like this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Hope this gets a hi-res release at some point so we will finally get these songs in that format.

I must either be a committed fanboy or a sucker, because I plan to pick up this RSD vinyl and download the hi-res if/when that comes out.

A few thoughts:

Why...just WHY would they eliminate "Walls (Circus)"??? That was the lead single for the original album. Yes, the No. 3 version is more true to the beat and tempo Tom would use when he played it live, but it's criminal not to have "Circus" on there. However, "Circus" is on The Best Of Everything, so all is not lost? (Yes, I put a question mark there on purpose).

I can understand why "Angel Dream (No 4)" was eliminated because all the intense percussion is a bit distracting.

I have a feeling that "13 Days" will have Stan Lynch on drums. I don't know why, but I have a hunch that it was tracked during the "Mary Jane's Last Dance" sessions, and was one of the slew of covers recorded in that period of a week.

From what I understand, Tom was never happy with the original mix of this album, so I get why @ryan de topanga remixed these songs.

4. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

The hi-res will probably show up in a couple of months after RSD when they release this at the TP store in cd and vinyl. Just my opinion going by recent past results.

I'll probably be in for it then.

tfunk182 and faceinthecrowd like this.
  5. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I'm curious if the TP store will be selling this as part of RSD as the Doors sold copies on their website... Sure is weird to me that they would finally release 13 days on this project when everything indicates it belongs on WFATR.

FJFP and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  6. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

I have always loved the She's The One album and considered it a proper TP album. I understand what's going on with this release and why, and I'll eventually acquire it just to have more TP.

But... that cover. Maybe someone can redo the yellow cover layout with period band shots rather than movie stills?

And to me, "Walls (Circus)" is the superior one.

7. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Since this query seems to be cropping up frequently I'll try my best to address it here. In 2015, Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate sequenced a collection of ten tracks which they titled "All The Rest" which would serve as a compliment to the original "Wildflowers" album. While this sequence does not faithfully incorporate all ten tracks that were cut from the "Wildflowers" double disc in 1994, it does represent the sequencing for the second half of the "Wildflowers" album as Tom Petty envisioned it prior to his passing in 2017. In short, this was the sequencing of the double-disc version of "Wildflowers" that Tom Petty helped to curate and wanted presented to his public as the definitive statement of this project. As has been mentioned in the "Wildflowers" threads on the SHF, three cuts that were originally slated to appear on the double-disc version of "Wildflowers" did not feature on either the single disc presentation of the album as released to market in November of 1994 or the ten track "All The Rest" collection as supervised by Tom Petty in 2015. Instead three home recordings were sequenced into the "All The Rest" song cycle allowing the collection to present with arguably a stronger track sequence than what an assemblage of the ten cuts siphoned off of "Wildflowers" in '94 would've represented. While it could reasonably be argued that these three cuts could've been incorporated into the "Finding Wildflowers" programme which presented a bumper crop of alternative arrangements of "Wildflowers" tracks, one of the tracks in question ["Lonesome Dave"] had already seen issue on the 2018 archival release, "An American Treasure" and was not included due to time considerations. "Thirteen Days" is cover of a JJ Cale composition and as such would feel thematically out of place on a collection spotlighting the songwriting of Tom Petty. I would humbly submit that the Cale cover presents much better on the recasting of a soundtrack album which even in it's original incarnation included two cover songs. The final song in question, "Girl On LSD" was of course initially issued to market as the b-side to "You Don't Know How It Feels" in 1994 and is indeed found [in slightly remixed form] as part of the "Finding Wildflowers" programme on the "Wildflowers And All The Rest" box set.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

if it’s mastered as well as the Wildflowers reissue then streaming it will be just fine. Hope all his brickwall-era albums get the same treatment online.

Lewisboogie, FJFP and faceinthecrowd like this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The cover has a bootleg feel about it.

10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Honestly, I don't know what they were thinking.

Lewisboogie and faceinthecrowd like this.
  11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

That might be the problem...maybe they weren't?

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Who is on Tom's t-shirt?

13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'm all over this on RSD!! The Wildflowers Box has been blowing my mind for months, and this seems like an extension of that to me.

Frankly, I truly don't get the disparaging comments above. Childish comments, born out of ignorance and brimming with hostility are the opposite of illuminating, and are incapable of winning me over. This is the team that put the amazing Wildflowers Box together and I think they deserve better than a bunch of half-formed, half-assed complaints.

JoeRockhead, Bakeryrec, Ere and 4 others like this.
  14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This all makes sense. I think like much of anything when it comes music, recording sessions, and album releases, nothing is ever “clean” nor does it always fit in its presumed box.

What they could have done would be to completely swallow up the soundtrack into the Wildflowers set, but, as has been pointed out, some things don’t fit either thematically or timeline-wise and may still have resulted in orphan tracks.

Im eager to hear more about this STO set and its vinyl pressing. I’m sure we’ll get that soon enough.

15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I agree, I've no complaints with the content of the Wildflowers set, it was brilliantly put together.

My only complaint is the way they put greed above everything else when it came to the marketing and distribution of the set, including initially denying the world outside of the USA a cheap and easy route to buy the fifth disc.

16. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

I have the CD of STO...somewhere. I can't find it and it's been driving me crazy! So I obviously need another copy. All joking aside, the RSD release is a run of 12,000 and I am sure it will be one of the most popular items, so I don't expect it will be easy to get without the standing in line at 5am hoopla. I like a pretty record as much as the next person, but I will be waiting for a wider release. Unless I luck out and my local still has a copy at 2pm on RSD. Probably not!

Anyway, I'm excited to hear this, especially because Thirteen Days is one of my top TPATH covers!

17. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I will also be waiting for the wider release, as I like all my Petty to be on black vinyl. Blue just doesn’t feel right!

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Tatanka Iyotanka. Sitting Bull. Lakota Sioux.

19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Ah, good eye. Gotta say though, that cover is some sitting bull... :sigh:

20. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Hep Alien, hodgo and Alright4now like this.
  21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Hep Alien and WarEagleRK like this.
  22. Leolo

Leolo Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m having a hard time getting excited for this after the Wildflowers and All the Cash fiasco.

23. dollardime

dollardime Forum Resident

I look forward to hearing the new songs and if possible down the road purchase the new songs as standalone songs. Reconfiguring albums from the past in terms of sound and rearranging songs is not personally something that I look for from official releases. I would be of the view that Tom's output solo and with the Heartbreakers during his life on this earth set a very high bar in terms of quality control and I take the view that everything is of a time and place for better or worse. I for one am content with having everything that was released during Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers forty plus years together up to 2017.

The only exception where I would look to purchase an Estate release would be official live show content such as the 2013 run at the Beacon Theatre New York and The Fonda in LA, The Fillmore '97, the tour with Bob Dylan in the mid 80's.

I'm also mindful that there are new people hearing Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers for the first time and discovering the music, these type of releases help to spread the music and I say that as someone who first got into the band as a result of the 1993 Greatest Hit's album and was hooked since then!

24. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

It's great to get new TP songs, so that in itself makes this project worthwhile. Before today,"One of Life's Little Mysteries" and "105 Degrees" were not titles on anyone's radar anywhere. Seeing them pop up out of literally nowhere proves there's always another TP song hiding waiting to be heard. Going down that well is far and away the most exciting part of this.

In terms of the concept of rearranging or reimagining She's the One as an album — I'm not that interested in that. To me She's the One already is a "real" album and doesn't need to be "legitimized" in any way. I never understood the need to condescend to She's the One — its flaws have always been overblown. I like the charm of the original album, Frankensteined as it may be.

Still, the very hodge-podge nature of it makes it ripe for this reshuffling mix tape like approach. There's no harm in it, though the legacy of the original release will always be safe with me.

Hopefully we find out soon the origins of the brand new songs. Were they from the STO sessions? Tacking "13 Days" on here is pretty random — clearly that song was from the Wildflowers sessions (unless this is an entirely different recording of the track), so you're throwing the three Wildflowers songs overboard to include... a different Wildflowers outtake? Alrighty.

In the end, a harmless and fun thought experiment that yields some new songs. I'm looking forward to it! (The album cover is pretty terrible though. Definitely looks like a bootleg. It might have been OK if it was just the colorful landscape shot without the B&W photo superimposed over it.)

supermd, Hep Alien, jmxw and 11 others like this.
  25. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Fantastic post!