VPI HW-16.5 Record Cleaning Machine

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MisterNines, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Okay Guys I pulled the trigger and bought one from music direct my vinyl has never sounded better, the only problem now is I am getting horrible horrible either gunk or dust on my stylus after every play, I have a 2m bronze and I’m using the mofi cleaning stuff, I really do not want to do a pre rinse with my spin clean, just seems like why did I even get a VPI if I still need to use my spin clean, any help or suggestions thanks guys?

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If used properly then the record should be completely clean and not be contaminated with anything that could build up on your stylus, an obvious question, are you placing the cleaned records in new preferably poly-lined sleeves?

3. Christopher Lauher

I’m putting them in Mofi Sleeves

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Okay, in that case it may be that your cleaning routine isn't removing all the dirt, I'm afraid I haven't used the Mofi cleaning stuff so can't comment on how it should be used, but when I use L'art du Son and pure water it removes all the dirt and the vacuum removes all the liquid leaving me with a clean and dry record, for something to build up on the stylus suggests your cleaning regime isn't removing all the dirt and the machine possibly isn't vacuuming everything away.

5. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

What's your process? Are you cleaning and vacuuming again with a distilled water rinse after you use the MOFI super cleaner?

6. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Post your routine for cleaning. Mine come out clean, no such residue on my stylus. I agree with the other members, skip the Mofi fluids. You might want to get a bottle of AI#6 to simplify things for now.

MisterNines likes this.
  7. Christopher Lauher

How often do you guys clean the brush you use with the vpi? And what do you clean it with

MisterNines likes this.
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I clean it before a record cleaning session. I use invisible tape.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Brush off anything obvious after use, deep clean by soaking it in cleaning fluid overnight, but they rarely get that dirty unless you are cleaning really bad records and I have more than one brush so the really clean one tends to stay that way, the same with tubes.

MisterNines likes this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What are you guys doing about keeping the 16.5 cork platter from contaminating the side you just cleaned?

MisterNines likes this.
  11. Christopher Lauher

I just got a vpi and I swear I’m horrible at it, it seems there is more dust after I clean then before and all over my needle as well, if you have any tips I would sure appreciate it. I use a mofi brush and the premium one step formula

12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You need to have a bit of a tilt on the wand.

Also, I use the supplied VPI brush to agitate the fluid.

13. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Odd, I'm not terribly anal but I use disc doctor - best stuff out there in my opinion. I coat the brush with fluid first, never put fluid directly on the vinyl. The let the brush spin for a about 2 revs to coat the record. I then, and this is just me, use a gentle, no pressure, back and forth quick motion with brush to agitate anything that might be in there - obviously this won't push any debris further into the grooves or I wouldn't do it...duh :) vacuum 2 revs only according to specs. Then separate brush, distilled water rinse and vacuum. And then another distilled water rinse and vacuum. Albums come out perfect, assuming the album isn't too far gone. I then immediately play the album, after a static brush swipe. After play, all albums of course go into mofi sleeves. No build up of gunk ever on my stylus

14. katstep

I have an extremely high rate of success using Tergikleen (about double the recommended dilution) with my 16.5. I use a liberal amount and spread it directly on the record with a dedicated MOFI brush, then let it soak with the lid closed for anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes. I them scrub it again with the dedicated MOFI brush, then vacuum off the Tergikleen with a dedicated VPI wand. I follow this with a liberal amount of distilled water spread directly on the record with a 2nd dedicated MOFI brush, which I then vacuum with a 2nd dedicated VPI wand. The results are usually fantastic, although sometimes a deeper soak or 2nd cleaning will improve things. YMMV.

Fractured likes this.
  15. I just got mine from Turntable Labs yesterday. Whoa! This was an upgrade from hand cleaning. While I could get the albums as clean by hand, the time, effort, and chance of accidental damage were waaaayyyy higher. Doing a cleaning/drying and rinse/drying took me 94 seconds per side! Draining the spent fluid should just how cloudy and nasty it was. Love it!

16. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

On Osage Audio's Website (Maker of AIVS Record Cleaning Products) and find the RCM Museum, you can see what I did with my 16.5 to address the Cork Mat issue. I replaced both Platter and Mat, switched to a Neoprene Mat which is easy to clean, imperious to fluids.

MisterNines likes this.
  17. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

The method that has given me the best results so far is a 3 step. 1-Liquinox, 2-Tergikleen, and 3-distilled water rinse. Distilled water rinse works best with Mofi brush. I have a brush for each solution. For used records I let the solutions sit a bit longer. For previously cleaned records, I skip the liquinox. Saw these fluids recommended many times, got to thank the the Vinyl Archivist for this specific combo.

Just remember, anything put on the record to clean must then be removed. The strong vacuum on the VPI and distilled water rinses help in leaving leaving no residue.

A few other tips, I use one of those clothes lint roller to clean the cork mat, just one revolution is sufficient, and I use soft toothbrush to brush off the felt on the pickup tube.

18. katstep

Can't find this. Link please?

19. Christopher Lauher

Hi guys so I have a VPI love it, but sometimes I get a little dust nothing crazy after they have been sitting on the self, I need a suggestion on a light cleaning just before playing the record, I am anti brush they do not work. I have a little air blower thing looks like a toy rocket and it works okay but was just wondering if there was any other suggestions or another feed that talks about this. Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.