How much jazz was there in these classic rock artists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew J, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've put in descending order, the amount of jazz influence I think there was in these artists. rearrange it as you see appropriate or create your own lists. I wish Hendrix had gotten more in a jazz direction, and out of the the pentatonic box, and kind of think he might have if he'd lived longer.

Joni Mitchell
    Cream
    Doors
    Grateful Dead

The Band
    Byrds

Rolling Stones (Charlie)
    Fleetwood Mac
    Bob Dylan

ZZ Top
    Genesis (Phil Collins only)
    Pink Floyd (Syd era only)

Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones and some syncopation, so maybe)
    Neil Young
    Beatles (marginal)

Who (very little)
    Deep Purple (zero)
    Metallica (zero)
    My Chemical Romance (-zero)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Apart from Joni Mitchell’s Mingus album, zero for all.

3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

The Allman Brothers incorporated jazz influences into their music IMHO

JDeanB, Humbuster, RLPATTON and 35 others like this.
  4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Huh? Have you ever listened to the Grateful Dead?

I think most of these have a bit of a jazz influence, even if indirectly.

5. Andrew J

That is what I was getting at - not straight ahead jazz, but influence. I've moved the Dead up higher, because even though they didn't play jazz, they were obviously influenced by it - the whole impro vibe.

6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Tom Waits, Joni, all have used jazz in their work. I agree about the Allmans too. There have been elements in the Doors, Mac, Dead, Byrds.

7. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Not only that, but their later 70s playing just sounded very jazzy in general.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would definitely add....

Traffic....Low Spark album onward

Santana ..... Caravanserai, Barboletta, Welcome

Carlos Santana with John McLaughlin

9. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow & Wired & live with Jan Hammer obviously, but before and after that too.

10. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

yasujiro, talkradio, RLPATTON and 8 others like this.
  11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Pete Townshend's dad, Cliff, was a jazz musician by trade. I guess it doesn't come out much in The Who's music, but Pete must have been affected by that in some way.

12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

McCartney and McManus too.

RLPATTON and BeatlesBop like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I suppose it depends how we are using the word Jazz really.

Joni had some textures and chord changes over a few albums that leaned that way, and Mingus was the logical conclusion to that period of time.

Cream.... they liked jamming, I guess that's somewhat jazz inspired, but I don't hear much reflecting jazz in them.

The Doors have some influences that one could say are jazz-like I guess ... but I'm not sure I would say they have that much jazz influence...

Phil leaned into some fusion with Brand X, so if that's what we're looking at, yea a little for Phil... Genesis... not to my mind at all really.

Syd Floyd was straight up psychedelic, not sure where we would particularly draw jazz lines in... the jamming I guess, but other genres used jam styling...

The others, .... well I'm sure some of them were influenced by jazz, but I don't really hear it in their music...

Steely Dan probably have some fusion influence in their writing ...

You see, I would say Zappa had some jazz influences in his music, but more, again, fusion... but if you talk to a jazz guy, they are generally going to say it was more classical and somewhat avant garde, than jazz....

Jazz, like rock, has become very hard to define ....

14. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

If you're not hearing any influence of Jazz in Ginger Baker or Ian Paice then I'm not sure what to tell you...

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And the Who covered Mose Allison.

Also high on the list would be ELP (Jimmy Smith was Emerson's hero) and Van Morrison

uzn007, BeatlesBop, kanakaris and 5 others like this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I definitely agree there were jazz elements and influence in Steely Dan’s music.

17. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Of those discussed already, mostly:

Jack Bruce: "I thought of Cream as sort of a jazz band, only we never told Eric he was really Ornette Coleman. Kept quiet about that..." They definitely ventured off into Free Jazz territory (w rock dynamics) live.

Hendrix was a fan of Miles Davis and Rahsaan Roland Kirk. A few of his tunes had overt Jazz style, and his improvs were informed by the freedom of Jazz: who was taking 15 minute solos before Coltrane?

John Coltrane was an inspiration for lots of sixties experimentalists. Most overtly Butterfield/Bloomfield with East-West and The Byrds with 8 Miles High.

Santana, esp Caravanserai onwards. One of that album's tunes is a straight lift from Pharoah Sanders.

NRBQ & MC5 with Sun Ra.

Steely Dan, obviously, and Zappa. And Joni Mitchell's albums like Hejira, Hissing Of Summer Lawns, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - I think those records were more successful as Jazz hybrids than the album Mingus. And her touring band was largely Jazz fusion types.

I think The Doors' Jazz influence is pretty obvious...

18. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Not on the list, but early Yes and King Crimson had jazz influences. Sure, the purists will always say no.

19. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Van Morrison
    Television (Ornette Coleman in particular)

20. Andrew J

You are right, I forgot about Ian Paice!

21. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Among Southern Rock, more so Marshall Tucker Band than anyone.

22. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I sense a little crediting of blues influence as jazz. No way cream is that high, and ZZ top is also well above where I'd put them.

Really, tho only group I'd consider putting in the top category with Joni is Steely Dan and Zappa. Doors may be close.

23. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The starting point for this discussion should be an acknowledgement that ALL American vernacular music of the 20th Century was influenced by jazz, not just peripherally but to its core. And particularly by Louis Armstrong and the lived reality of swing, not as a genre but as a property that all music can and should have in some form or other.

mw1917, RLPATTON, CybrKhatru and 17 others like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Among non-fusion rock bands, the one I'd name that has ventured the furthest into jazz with the most musical success is....NRBQ.

ianuaditis and Jonny W like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.