What is your vinyl cleaning routine? Poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Reading a few threads here on lots of different methods of brushing/cleaning newly purchased records (either new or used vinyl) and wanted to see what others do.

Personally, every new purchase gets a brush to remove dirt, paper debris, dust, etc. and then a wet clean on a vacuum RCM. After that it’s just a case of a quick brush each time I finish playing a record before I put it back in an anti-static sleeve and back on the shelf.

fmuakkassa and socfan12 like this.
  2. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

DeGritter and then play. Then carbon fiber brush on subsequent plays after that.

Squiggsy68 and Porkpie like this.
  3. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Ultrasonic clean on all records, new and used. Ten to fifteen minutes in warm distilled water with some wetting agent. Once done, a spin clean in a Knosti Anti static bath containing pure distilled water to give them a good rinse. Air dry for a few hours thereafter and then in poly sleeves. Carbon brush prior to each play.

Porkpie likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

None of the above.

Used records get cleaned before play, 99.99% of the time. In very rare cases I will find a used record that has been previously owned by an anal audiophile or collector type, that doesn't need cleaning. Very rare. Most of the used records I buy need cleaning, and they get cleaned on a vacuum RCM with AI#15.

New records I don't really bother cleaning most of the time anymore, unless they have debris that I can easily see on them. Since I got a lot more picky about what new records I buy, I don't have to clean new records all the time. Records from lower tier plants are often filthy and covered with crap out of the package. I rarely buy those anymore.

Before anyone starts on about "mold release agent", most plants don't use that. It's basically an old wives' tale that got passed down like other audiophool nonsense.

When I pull a record my collection to play, since the record has already been cleaned or is clean, it usually doesn't need anything. I just play it. If I see a spec of dust, I will hit it with a record brush. If it is static charged, I hit it with the Zerostat.

Darryl Jenks, BSU, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

These days, usually just a carbon fiber brush before play, because I have become lazy and most records I have been buying have been pretty clean out of the package, miraculously. I have one of those sticky roller things for records that do come out of the sleeve with some visible debris, which will then usually necessitate a hit with the Zerostat. If I had one that was noisy, I’d wet clean it, but I can’t remember the last time it came to that.

Used records always get wet cleaned and vacuumed before first play, but I haven’t bought a used record in quite a while.

Porkpie and fcallington like this.
  6. Troy T.

Troy T. Well-Known Member

For the most part, I buy used records. My method, whether right or wrong is as follows:

I put the record on the ground, on top of cover and sleeve. Sleeve being right underneath. I put cleaning fluid on a discwasher type bush, usually all the way across one side of the brush and then clean the records counter-clockwise. Probably 3-4 times around. I tilt it back as part of the cleaning/drying method. I wait until it dries (which isn't very long) and then put it on the platter. At this point, I use an anti-static brush, and play.

Repeat method for side 2.

Question: I use the good AudioQuest Anti-Static Record Brush. Does something like this need to be replaced at some point?

Porkpie likes this.
  7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

After initial purchase, Mobile Fidelity brush with or without cleaning fluid depending on LP. AQ carbon fiber brush before each play afterwards.

Porkpie likes this.
  8. 2 cycles of 5 min clean and 1 cycle 5 min air dry on new vinyl......3-4 cycles of cleaning with used vinyl.

Ultrasonic KLAUDIO with Reagent grade lab water only.

Porkpie likes this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I clean dirty LPs on my Okki Nokki

Porkpie likes this.
  10. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Other: There are no absolutes in the audio world.
    I clean when new/used records are purchased and clean according to how dirty they are. Once they are cleaned I normally only need an occasional brush clean with DI water. I never bother with a dry brush. A wet clean gets rid of static.

Henrik_Swe and Porkpie like this.
  11. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

My LP cleaning routine is long, complex, detailed, and labor-intensive. But it was the inconvenience and expense that first drew me to vinyl, so I can't complain.

12. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

Wash new to me records (used and new) with VPI RCM. Carbon brush before every play.

Porkpie and socfan12 like this.
  13. Porkpie

14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Poll is not clear. Title says how do you clean vinyl before giving it a spin. OP says how do you clean NEW PURCHASES before giving it a spin.
    2 different wor(l)ds ! Which is it ? Judging from the answers misinterpreted by many.

Other : wet clean and vacuum every new purchase (2nd hand vinyl, not wet cleaning new vinyl). Then carbon brush before each play.

muletrane likes this.
  15. Porkpie

It’s not really unclear, the poll is about cleaning vinyl. There are then options in the poll for people who only clean records when they first buy them and in my original post I mention what I do with new purchases.

If you want to be pedantic, there are plenty of other threads here you can nitpick. If we are nitpicking, why do you insert spaces before all your punctuation marks? Jog on mate.

16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

What's your problem? Want to try responding in Dutch, my native language?

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Squirt & brush...

18. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

This poll wasn't very well thought out. Ultrasonic cleaning is far more common these days than it was even a few years ago. It should have been an option other than "Other."

19. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I use a Velvet brush. I bought a carbon brush to try out and I don't like it. I feel the Velvet picks up dust better.

Porkpie likes this.
  20. Porkpie

I would add it but I can’t now. It wasn’t intended to be the gospel on vinyl cleaning though tbf.

21. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Thanks went with “No brushing, all new purchases get a wet clean then good to go”

That was the closest to my actual routine. I use a Destat III and then blow any loose paper shavings, hair, fuzz, etc... off with a large Giotto Rocket Blower.....then wet clean. One more Destat application before either playing or sleeving.

GyroSE likes this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

None of the above.

Used records: Clean before first play. If only slightly dirty, I use a wet Discwasher. If more dirty than that, I will clean with alcohol/distilled water and microfiber cloths.

New records: Brush with a dry discwasher before first play.

Subsequently (new or used), I'll brush with a dry discwasher if I see any visible dust (or am playing light-colored vinyl), sometimes with a wet discwasher if it comes out of the dust jacket looking particularly dusty.

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Vacuum clean on the VPI 16.5 for most used LPs, and sometimes I will clean new LPs if they are noisy or show dirt.

Carbon fiber brush before every spin. Even with clean records, the debris that builds up on the plinth below the front of my platter is kind of shocking.

Porkpie and bever70 like this.
  24. raindog69

raindog69 Well-Known Member

New purchases that are brand new and sealed, maybe a quick dusting with a discwasher type brush. Older records go through the Spin Clean with a sticker on the outside of the protective cover indicating date last cleaned.

Porkpie likes this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

New records I don't clean unless the stylus collects fluff or dirt of some sort, which has happened just once with a shoddy mexican pressing. Used records get a deep cleaning process and never get dirty while playing them, due to extreme caution on my part.

gakerty, bever70 and Porkpie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.