Yoko Ono material on Plastic Ono Band box BluRay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I love hearing these original jams, but I have a quibble with the mix. IMO, John's guitar is too low, Yoko's vocal too prominent, the bass too loud. And you are right, these shouldn't be buried in a blu-ray only disc. They are basically a glorious independent "box set" of Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band and should be celebrated as such!

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

4. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

It is if you have a Mac.

MattyRedSox likes this.
  5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Good to see some love for Yoko. You guys are the best!
    And "Why" rocks!!!

Jon-A likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Don't forget to check out YouTube Rfreeman, if you don't get any bites on the Blu ray. Like most things, it should pop up there for awhile.

Either way, good luck!

Rfreeman likes this.
  7. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

So why wasn't the seven-minute "Open Your Box" on this?

@lennonology did you have some info on this? You thought it wasn't actually recorded during these sessions with Ringo & Klaus?

8. soniclovenoize

"Greenfield Morning"
    As mentioned earlier, this is a very dry mix, less echo on the drums; it's also at the natural tape speed. Otherwise it's fairly similar to the album version, albeit it has an extra four minutes that is essentially the same sort of thing. Of note, the first "sitar" section seems separate from the second "jam" section, while they are crossfaded on the album. Also, it soudns like they looped a singular section on the album, where the band is jamming naturally in the complete take. I love this new complete take much better than the album version!

Shawn and tug_of_war like this.
  9. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Floater and Bink like this.
  11. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

If I remember correctly, that take of 'Open Your Box' dates from the initial sessions at Ascot Sound in February 1971. The guitar sound certainly matches the early takes of 'Well (Baby Please Don't Go)'.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

soniclovenoize likes this.
  12. soniclovenoize

Alright, so I'm trying to figure out the sequence the bonus tracks were recorded in. Fairly certain "Life", "I Lost Myself Somewhere In The Sky" and "Omae No Okaa Wa" were all from Tape 4 (E099933), thus making the three bonus tracks occurring between "Why Not" and "Paper Shoes". But what were the order of those three? Here's how it's written on the master tapes with my notes in red italics...

Tape #1 - E099930
    "Rock n' roll till 11:15"
    This seems to be "Honey Don't", "Elvis Parody" and "Matchbox"
    "Jam I" 11:15 - 27:45
    This seems to be the full 18 minutes of "Why"
    "Jam II"
    This seems to be the first 5 minutes of "Touch Me"

Tape #2 - E099931
    "Fast Rocker continued" 0:00 - 10:30
    This seems to be the remaining 10 minutes of "Touch Me"

Tape #3 - E099932
    "Slow Blues" 0:00 - 21:30
    This seems to be the full 21 minutes of "Why Not"

Tape #4 - E099933
    "Slow Blues (Life)" 0:00 - 7:05
    "Love Grunt" 9:00 - 17:11
    "Faster Rock 'n Roll" 19:12 - 26:00

Tape #5 - E099934
    "Paper Shoes" 0:01 - 16:40
    This is clearly "Paper Shoes"
    "Greenfields" 16:40 - 23:20
    This seems to be the last 7 minutes of "Greenfield Morning..."

Logic would dictate that: "Slow Blues (Life)" is, well, "Life" as that's what it's subtitled; "Love Grunt" would be "I Lost Myself Somewhere in the Sky" since Yoko begins with faux orgasmic sounds; "Faster Rock n' Roll" would be "Omae No Okaa Wa" by process of elimination. But is "Life" really a slow rocker? It's the fastest of the bunch. And then that would mean "Omae No Okaa Wa" would be the faster rock n roll as compared to the previous jams, which is also not so.

So, is "Slow Blues (Life)" actually "Omae No Okaa Wa", and "Faster Rock n Roll" is actually "Life"?

13. soniclovenoize

By Jove, I think you're right!!

That would mean the POB liner notes is absolutely wrong and it's Jim Gordon on drums.

14. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Alright! Hi-Rez screaming. I got it on order!

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Omae No Okaa Wa has long been bootlegged under the title Slow Blues (and the second half of Touch Me as Fast Rocker.)

However, the timings would indicate that Omae No Okaa Was is Faster Rock N Roll. On bootleg, it runs a bit longer, with John answering Yoko saying "Don't worry about it, dear, it's only tape" and Yoko starting to say something as as the tape cuts. Or runs out. The timings above give Faster Rock N Roll a 6:48 runtime which matches the bootlegged version.

soniclovenoize likes this.
  16. solent

solent Forum Resident

The alternate longer version of ‘Open Your Box’ (a bonus track on the delux version of Ono’s POB reissue) is believed to have been recorded in (late?) 1970. It was re-recorded during the ‘Power to the People’ sessions of 1971. Is someone suggesting both versions are from ‘71?

17. soniclovenoize

No.... As Chip points out above, the 7-minute longer version dates from February 1971, the same session John recorded "Baby Please Don't Go". Thus the credits in the POB release are incorrect.

18. soniclovenoize

After listening some more, "Life"/"Between The Takes" is the same riff and drumbeat as the very end of "Why Not", which implies that they sort of bled into each other somehow. Thus, the tape operator might have thought they were the same jam (which was noted as "Slow Blues", despite it no longer being slow) and continued to note it as "Slow Blues", with the matching subtitle as "Life".

Then, in comparison to "Love Grunt"/"I Lost Myself", "Omae" is a 'faster' rock n roll track!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Does anybody know any freeware or another solution for converting these blue ray audio to mp3?

20. revolution_vanderbilt

Do you already have the blu-ray audio ripped to digital? If so, what type of files do you have?

21. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Yes, it's ripped.
    I have these file types:
    • m2ts
    • clpi
    • mpls
    • bdmv

22. revolution_vanderbilt

You'll need tsMuxer then to extract the audio from the m2ts files. And then audacity to split as the m2ts files, and subsequently the audio files you'll extract, contain multiple songs.

Floater likes this.
  23. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply. I will try that tomorrow.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

@revolution_vanderbilt
    So I tried it. My first try didn't work. But after the first coffee it worked well.
    One question remains: Why do I get from one m2ts file two wav files?

25. revolution_vanderbilt

Without seeing your process, I'm not sure, but I'm gonna assume one is 48kHz/24-bit and the other is 192kHz/24-bit. You should see both before you actually extract the audio and have the option to deselect one.

I believe for the Ultimate mixes you should get options for 4 sets of files, the two above formats along with the 5.1 and 7.1 audio.

Floater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.