CD collectors. Jewel case matter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mist3rCe, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mist3rCe

Mist3rCe Forum Resident Thread Starter

As you know, standard jewel cases have been changing over the years. So, when you buy second-hand CDs... do you care if the jewel cases are the originals? Some people and online marketplaces only focus on grading the media and inserts and don't comment on the cases, what is the consensus here?

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Depends on the jewel case.

3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

As a general rule I don't care as you can replace them. However there are CD's where the jewel case is part of the overall packaging.

For example

Lou Reeds Set The Twilight Reeling came in a blue case. KISS's Psycho Circus case was part of a lenticular design....in circumstances such as those I would expect the Jewel case to be graded....but even with the best packaging we all know what happens in that journey between seller and buyer.

4. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I don’t care wether the case is the original one or not. My opinion is that it’s better to have a non-original case in good condition than an original case in bad condition:cool:

5. Mist3rCe

What about if you find a NM/NM fantastic, let's say for example, target Cd from 80s...BUT it comes in a modern brand new case....Would you but it or not?

6. Mist3rCe

Well, funny, but just the opposite for me, maybe I have to change my mind :D

jfeldt and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes.

And then look in my collection for something older and more suitable to match what would have been the original :)

EG.

8. Mist3rCe

As a general rule I see your point but if the original case is a smooth sided case is not so easy to replace. Not to mention tinted cases. Not to mention Patent pending cases.

hi_watt, tmtomh and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As has been noted, unique cases are one thing, I prefer the original (colored cases etc) of those (although when it's something like smooth sided cases I really don't care). For 99.9% of CD's though, I really don't care. In fact, I have 200 new cases sitting in boxes in the closet, and if a case arrives cracked or particularly worn, I just swap it out. This is the primary reason I like Jewelcases to be honest, if you want it looking new, you just use a new case.

10. Mist3rCe

I'd have thought collectors prioritized old smooth sided cases in a collection instead of brand new good looking ones! I like this forum.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  11. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I like that jewel cases are generally replaceable. Rykodisc had green tinged jewel cases that are probably available somewhere online but that would be a hassle if I had to replace one of those. MFSL or DCC Gold had some cool cases that lifted the cd -presenting it to you when you opened the case and I know I've been disappointed when a used one of those had that original case replaced with a standard type. It's better than the blister pack when the teeth that hold the cd are so often broken. Ultimately, I prefer the album style cardboard cases because they're most often slimmer and, with gazillions of CDs in my collection, storage space is an issue.

12. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm of two minds. Jewel cases are more durable to an extent, however they crack and get scuffed. Digi-packs have their own problems. They are made of paper/cardboard. I have plenty that are damaged. Pick your poison.

Alan2 and Shaker Steve like this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, but I wouldn't swap out an original case unless it was damaged or particularly worn. I keep spares.

ricks and crazysurf like this.
  14. Mist3rCe

Jewel cases all the way :targettiphat:

15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I really do not like digipaks.

EG.

16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I would prefer the original case. :shrug:

17. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Here comes the BEST advice ever: Don't toss your cases, just replace them in case of cracks, don't replace them because of scratches.

The reason is because you can remove them! I tried it myself and I have made my collection practically scratch-free. I have also sleeved them like in this video:

I can really recommend this to everyone. For us collectors it is a truly fantastic thing.

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

No. I got rid of jewel cases years ago and use vinyl JazzLoft sleeves. They save a LOT of space and I much prefer handling CD's in the soft vinyl rather than the clumsy, hard plastic jewel cases. I can riffle through a much larger quantity in my hands, 30 or more. It's the best thing I ever did with my collection, but it took a couple of interim steps to get there.

ianfaith1, ramonesfan, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  19. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I did away with jewel cases from my collection and switched to poly sleeves. Take up less than a quarter of the shelf space. (I do keep digipaks and any other non-standard cases.)

So no, I don't care about original jewel cases...

20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

If it's in good shape, it stays. If it's in bad shape, it's replaced.

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't care. I will replace them with spares if the tabs or edges are broken. Small cracks don't bother me.

22. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

I prefer a new shiny Jewel case ..so its easily swapped if its not up to scratch.
    I even replace the trays, if they are not already clear, I hate those grey/ black ones.

23. Mist3rCe

Same. We seem to be in the minority :eek:

24. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

It generally doesn't matter, as long as it's the same kind of case (for example if the spine at the front is see-through or covered, etc.

BUT there are exceptions, like:

Cases with embossed logos

Cases with anything but standard see-through plastic (Ryko's green cases, Warner's white foggy plastic case, etc)

I got some cracked cases in my collection. I've also replaced a lot of them. It is nicer when there's no crack AND it's original but accidents do happen. Just lately I had the handle for my windowsill fall off the dresser and substatially crack a double-disc case, for whoch I have no replacement. I didn't even know it was at risk of falling.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Anybody that cares about this needs to get out more, sorry but it's stupid.

As long as it's nothing special, like the ones with something printed on the actual jewel case or if it's like a Ryko and should have the green case. But standard jewel cases? Get a life.

tmtomh, ism, Rikiii and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.