The Best French Albums of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kowalski, Jun 7, 2021.

1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Sylvie Vartan (1962)

[​IMG]

2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I have to go with Tahiti 80's Puzzle.

Here's the opening track. Enjoy!

3. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I don't know about all time but since 1980's is generally speaking the golden age of music, two favourites from the era are Sauver l'amour (1985) by Daniel Balavoine...

4. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

...and Souviens-toi de m'oublier (1981) by Catherine Deneuve with heavy involvement from Serge Gainsbourg.

Robert9080 likes this.
  5. Robert9080

Robert9080 Forum Resident

Bimbo Jet - El Bimbo

6. Kowalski

Kowalski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Michel Polnareff 1966

[​IMG]

7. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

Yes of course!!!! I prefer 10000Hz Legend but Moon Safari is great!!!
    By the way: I really like the video version of Kelly Watch The Stars and I can't find it anywhere. Was it ever issued officially?

fallbreaks likes this.
  8. Kowalski

Kowalski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Camille Le Fil 2004
    [​IMG]

'Le Fil', which translates roughly as 'The Thread', is a kind of concept album in that there is a hum or drone in note B that Camille keeps up through the whole album, acting as the aforementioned thread, keeping the whole album sewn together. The songs present such a multiplicity of sounds, that your ears won't know what to do with themselves, and your brain will constantly be playing catchup.

Sordel, Dissidence, Bleu Noir and 4 others like this.
  9. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

One of my favourite Magma offshoots (or actually a Weidorje offshoot):
    [​IMG]
    Jean Philippe Goude: Drones (1980)

klockwerk, peymei4ever and Plan9 like this.
  10. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Plastic Bertrand- AN1

11. Robert9080

Robert9080 Forum Resident

12. F-Stop Fitzgerald

F-Stop Fitzgerald Full Fathom Five

One of the finest albums to come out of the French Touch scene, Tempovision by Etienne De Crécy.

The single off it is sheer perfection, Am I Wrong (featuring a brilliantly deployed sample of Millie Jackson singing the phrase "Am I wrong to hunger" from her rendition of If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want to Be Right). It had a witty animated video that is a détourner of the question of desiring forbidden love to that of questioning the ethics of what we eat:

Kowalski and Robert9080 like this.
  13. fysyf

fysyf Forum Resident

From Gainsbourg let's not forget "L'homme à la Tête de Chou". Equal to Melody Nelson in my ranking.

14. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

+1
    and polnareff's from 1971

LoveYourLife, etcetera, Fess and 3 others like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

"Puta's fever" by Mano Negra

16. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Incredibly jazz-funk record that's been sampled numerous times for its drum breaks:

17. acemachine26

Another jazz-funk record that's been sampled a ton, originally was a soundtrack to a really interesting animated film:

18. acemachine26

A one-off, prog rock/zeuhl masterpiece:

Plan9 and samsondale like this.
  19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

My favorite soundtrack of all time. While yes, the composer is French, the film is Belgian.

acemachine26 likes this.
  20. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

@Kowalski

This Jean-Luc Ponty album from 1978 always feels like Air to me. A sweet cross of Moon Safari and Virgin Suicides.
    I love Air and my experiences in the late 1990's would have been so different without their music.

If you haven't heard this, give it a shot.

GyroT, MikeManaic61, jmcecil and 3 others like this.
  21. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

I'll fulfill the "more recent and currently active solo female artists" quotient with a few posts... :)

First up: Zazie.

Each of Zazie's albums is solid overall and has four or five true gems, so I could have chosen from a few favorites (La Zizanie, Rodéo), but I'll go with Totem from 2007 - pretty great from start to finish with a few of her best songs (Je Suis Un Homme, Ça, Totem, J'étais Là). She always has something to say, often with fairly intricate lyrics.

[​IMG]

Here's the video for Je Suis Un Homme, which sadly only gets more and more relevant every day. Plus bonus Spanish sub-titles!

22. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

My favourite album by a French artist is Politics by Sebastien Tellier

Kowalski likes this.
  23. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Liane Foly: Les Petites Notes (1993)

This is a great '90s jazz-pop-vocal album - kind of like a French Swing Out Sister album. It was so successful that many of the songs were also later recorded in English for an international release, with the album retitled Sweet Mystery. It didn't really get noticed. I'm pretty sure this was by far Liane Foly's most successful album - she's still active but with far less musical output over the last decade than in her peak career years ('80s to '00s).

[​IMG]

Here's the oh-so-'90s video for one of the singles, Laisse Pleurer Les Nuages.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Benjamin Biolay~ The French Nick Cave

25. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

Jean-Jaques Goldman - for me it's the song 'Nuit' which he did as Fredericks, Goldman, Jones in 1990...just an absolutely stunning and atmospheric track which has stayed with me forever. Sad that Carole Fredericks passed away back in June 2001, what a voice. I also really enjoy several of his albums apart from the FGJ debut (self-titled) - Rouge is great (quite progressive), as well as En Passant.

Also a big fan of the Vanessa Paradis album from 1990 'Variations Sur Le Meme T'Aime' which is a pop masterpiece, with lyrics from Serge Gainsbourg no less. The music is varied and very well arranged and produced - could do with a remaster on CD however!

ChrisR2060, Carlox and PH416156 like this.