Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following twofer. IIRC, Solti did not record that many Tchaikovsky Symphonies ...

[​IMG]

CMT, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very few guitarists attempt Haydn transcriptions, mainly because they are incredibly difficult, but nothing seems difficult for Galbraith!

[​IMG]

CMT, bluemooze, Jamsterdammer and 2 others like this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

NP:

Prokofiev
    Piano Concerto No. 5 in G major, Op. 55
    Ashkenazy
    LSO
    Previn

[​IMG]

I haven’t spent much time with the last two PCs from Prokofiev, I needed to rectify this tonight. This is quite a good concerto --- there is some haunting music within it.

CMT, Daedalus, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  4. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    royzak2000, Daedalus, canzld and 5 others like this.
  6. Mirror Image

One last listen for the night:

Walton
    As You Like It Suite
    London Philharmonic
    Carl Davis

From this set -

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Daedalus, canzld and 6 others like this.
  7. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Breaking my symphonic hiatus with some Haydn:

[​IMG]

Joseph Haydn - Symphonies 82 ("L'Ours"), 83 ("La Poule") & 84 - Kuijken/OAE

Turned Radio 3 on in the car this morning and they played the opening movement of 83 at the end of the Breakfast show, and it sounded so weedy and small, with a really mechanical ersatz feel. Turned out to be the Weil/Tafelmusik version - I'd previously had a similar reaction to his Haydn 88-92 set, so it was nice to know my ears are reliable! Anyway, it put me in the mood to hear it done properly, so here we are.

Daedalus, canzld, bluemooze and 10 others like this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 2. Cowen: Symphony#6, Coleridge-Taylor: Symphony in A Minor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CMT, royzak2000, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  9. Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
    String Quartet No. 3 in F major, Op. 73
    Two Pieces for String Octet, Op. 11
    Piano Quintet in G minor, Op. 57

Sviatoslav Richter, piano
    Borodin Quartet

[​IMG]

CMT, royzak2000, Daedalus and 6 others like this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

11. Mirror Image

NP:

Martinů
    Concerto No. 2 in D Major for 2 Violins, H. 329
    Sarah & Deborah Nemtanu, violins
    Orchestre Philharmonique de Marseille
    Lawrence Foster

[​IMG]

CMT, royzak2000, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  12. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Sorry for taking so long to answer, but I didn't forget about you.

In general, I would say they are a hit. However, the actual point I need to make here is that the question does not really apply when it comes to Philips, Decca and DG...

Bear with me.

Throughout the CD era, Philips, DG and Decca (already part of the same label group in the early 1980s) had various remaster series going on, like the aforementioned Philips Duo and Solo, DG's Originals and Dokumente, Decca's Ovation and Legends. And so on. What I did notice when going through many of these series, listening, comparing and making notes: none of these series have an actual characteristic sound of their own. So you can't really say that one series was better than another series, unless you go by packaging or some other factor. There is no consistency in terms of sound within one series.

Take DG's Originals series for instance, which started in 1995 and later included Philips recordings as well. It claimed to use “Original-Image Bit-Processing”. What that mastering process actually means is not the scope of this post, and in most cases it was nothing more than a buzzword, but it sufices to say that it was not used exclusively for the Originals series. It was actually something invented earlier on (1993) for the Karajan Gold series, and was the de facto standard for all reissues until at least the early 2000s, including DG's 2CD Series, all boxset remasters, the 1997 Beethoven Complete edition, and so on...

Or take Decca Legends, for instance. Started in 1999, and claimed to be remastered in 24-bit/96kHz... Well, the thing is, all of Decca's remasters from that era were remastered in 24-bit. It was just a general thing they would do, and not exclusive to this series.

The point I'm making is that, at least when it comes to these three labels, namely Philips, DG and Decca, the CD series don't mean much when it comes to remastering quality — it all depends on the era a CD came out. And CDs from a particular era are remastered to the same standard, regardless of series.

Hope that made sense.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

That makes perfect sense...thank you! I've been looking for CD pressings from around that time when picking titles. Having an image posted here with the CD has been a major help when I've been browsing Discogs or Ebay.

crispi likes this.
  14. Mirror Image

NP:

Nielsen
    Symphony No. 2, “The Four Temperaments”, FS 29
    Royal Stockholm PO
    Oramo

[​IMG]

ToddBD, royzak2000, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to parts of Ruth Laredo's complete Nonesuch set of Scriabin's Piano Sonatas on Spotify.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, CMT, royzak2000 and 6 others like this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think I might have mentioned that I recorded one of her recitals for broadcast on NPR ages ago, and she was easily the rudest famous musician I have ever met. (She rudely made demands, climaxing with "If I so such as see a microphone or a cable, I'm walking out"--yikes!) Interestingly, a few weeks ago I was looking through letters I've received from musicians whom I recorded (Most were thank you notes for providing a copy), and lo and behold, I found from her in which she apologized profusely for her behavior that night and thanked me for a copy of the recital! I have since quit spitting her name on the rare occasions that I've used it!

Runicen, ToddBD, vanhooserd and 7 others like this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A 2004 episode of NPR's Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Ruth Laredo:
    Ruth Laredo On Piano Jazz

18. Mirror Image

NP:

Vasks
    Violin Concerto
    Maxim Rysanov, viola/conductor
    Sinfonietta Rīga

[​IMG]

19. Mirror Image

Interesting anecdote. Being an exceptionally gifted musician doesn’t exclude one from being a horrible human being. Thankfully, there are some that have transcended this and are wonderful people.

Bachtoven likes this.
  20. Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
    The Bolt, Op. 27
    Royal Stockholm PO
    Rozhdestvensky

[​IMG]

I should also revisit other stage works and operas like The Golden Age, Lady Macbeth, The Nose and The Gamblers.

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Everyone else I met through my recording work, including Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Bella Davidovich, Kronos Quartet, Juilliard Quartet, Melos Quartet, Jean Pierre Rampal, Josh Bell (age 14!), Abby Simon, Alexei Sultanov, Alexander Peskinov, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Aton Kuerti, and Davitt Moroney, to name but a few :D were all very friendly and gracious. For example, I recorded Perlman over a three day series of concerts with the Sacramento Symphony. After the final one on Sunday, I asked him which one he would prefer we broadcast. He thought for a few seconds and asked, "Which one did you prefer?" I replied, "I thought the Friday one was the most electrifying." "Then go with that one" was his reply! (The Tchaikovsky Concerto)

Runicen, CMT, royzak2000 and 8 others like this.
  22. Mirror Image

I need a dustpan to sweep up some of these names. ;) :D But seriously, another amusing anecdote. :)

CMT, ParloFax and Bachtoven like this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I bought this mint LP set in a used record store in Pacific Grove on a trip to Monterey this weekend. First up: K.387. Typically wonderful playing and sound with nearly silent surfaces.

[​IMG]

24. Mirror Image

NP:

Dvořák
    In Nature’s Realm, Op. 91
    Carnival, Op. 92
    Othello, Op. 93

LSO
    Kertész

From this outstanding remastered set that is now OOP and quite expensive:

[​IMG]

One of the joys of Dvořák is simply putting away all of your troubles, fears, etc. and enjoying the infectious enthusiasm he had for life, which even in his more somber moments, there’s still light that penetrates the darkness. A composer that never grows fatiguing and that has continuously exceeded my expectations, which are difficult to win from time to time.

ToddBD, McLover, Starwanderer and 5 others like this.
  25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Meh...a wannabe Alan Pettersson but not half as interesting!

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Jamsterdammer like this.