Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  2. ILovethebassclarinet

I know how that goes... thanks for looking!

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

At least we have had "Antibes" for decades!

4. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

5. ILovethebassclarinet

But still, 'who was served?' by it sitting in a vault for 20 years?
    Atlantic, who could have been marketing it for decades? Mingus, who could have used the exposure, even if 'the record wasn't lucrative?'
    I've never really understood the counter-productive 'short-term' practices of so many record companies... Record it, release it, and give people the opportunity to buy it at a 'reasonable' price*; seems simple enough to me...

*"reasonable price": one which provides a financially worthwhile return to the artist and company, at a price the consumer will 'happily' pay...

6. Lonson

I'm sure there were reasons at the time that are less visible right now that may have been sensible reasons. It's possible there were legal reasons preventing its immediate release. I know we feel these things are high art and a benefit to posterity, but in many ways they were, especially at the time of recording and potential release, a commodity and subject to all the variables that presented in a market.

I honestly would rather look at the flip side and marvel at the incredible bounty that we have.

peter1, SeeDubs, Tom Campbell and 3 others like this.
  7. ILovethebassclarinet

This sentence should have read like this:

whose vinyl and pressing quality were generally close to comparable to the notoriously bad pressings of the Crown label (the one owned by the Bihari brothers) in the ones I've encountered;

davidpoole likes this.
  8. ILovethebassclarinet

My motive in addressing the issue is to encourage others 'with the ability to do so' (withhold recordings) to not do so.

I have heard of folks 'hanging onto tapes because they're going to fund my retirement,' not that I can cite any specific examples at the moment.

I'll be away from the computer for the next few/some hours, so I won't see any responses soon...

9. Lonson

Well, I doubt they are HERE. ;)

I had some material that the collector I received them from made me swear not to distribute because he (a jazz drummer) was going to one day get it out there and it was truly rare. Years later--though I certainly didn't share it--it appeared in a European cd release, having fallen into legal copyright zone there. There are indeed some jewels out there unavailable. In my experience most are in rather wretched sound quality.

The bounty of what we DO have is amazing. And I can't even keep in my own home all that I do have because my wife refuses to live with the hoard of a hoarder, and why should she. And I confess my curiosity diminishes and my tolerance for bad sound diminishes as well as the years go by. A natural progression I am sure. Getting older is an interesting thing, and evolution and devolution.

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that clip…and Im in with you in that no one really knows today. And if you can believe anything Jelly Roll Martin says, who also said he himself invented Jazz, then this is what he says about scat singing in an interview.

Lomax: "Well, what about some more scat songs, that you used to sing way back then?"
    Morton: "Oh, I'll sing you some scat songs. That was way before Louis Armstrong's time. By the way, scat is something that a lot of people don't understand, and they begin to believe that the first scat numbers was ever done, was done by one of my hometown boys, Louis Armstrong. But I must take the credit away, since I know better. The first man that ever did a scat number in history of this country was a man from Vicksburg, Mississippi, by the name of Joe Sims, an old comedian. And from that, Tony Jackson and myself, and several more grabbed it in New Orleans. And found it was pretty good for an introduction of a song."
    Lomax: "What does scat mean?"
    Morton: "Scat doesn't mean anything but just something to give a song a flavor."[2]

11. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Oh what a fantastic piece of Music! That is absolutely excellence right there! Did you hear how Art and Roy played with the chorus? That was awesome. And the way Tatum has those runs and how he can play with it going in and out of the melody like that. pure excellence by Art Tatum. Thanks for sharing.

ILovethebassclarinet and Bradd like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

true.

if scat is spontaneous, wordless vocalizing, it has certainly been around for thousands of years.

Cliff Edwards deserves far more attention.

Over the years, I hooked up with the most serious Cliff Edwards collectors and broadcast over six hours of his recordings in several specials.

He died just two weeks after Louis Armstrong, penniless in a charity home, and his death went unnoticed and his body was donated.

[​IMG]

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The first issue of Mingus at Monterey, issued privately by Mingus himself and only available directly from him, included a personal letter from Charles Mingus.

[​IMG]

Can you imagine getting this autographed by Mingus for just the regular price? A friend of mine got one at the time. You had to check the box (only a fool would not, but many did not like autographs messing up their cover)

[​IMG]

The letter was later modified in a second commercial issue, but was deleted in later issues. See if you can read this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The more common commercial issue

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mingus' then home (he had many as he was evicted several times) at 128 E 56th Street was replaced by an office building, which became the home of the Zimbabwe UN Consulate (representing a dictator-for-life, Mugabe)

[​IMG]

Sorcerer and frightwigwam like this.
  16. A very modern and new & completely unique sound at their time!

RCA Victor LJM-1003 - The Sauter - Finegan Orchestra " Inside Sauter - Finegan" - rec. 1954 -
    Great coverart by Jim Flora

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

There is a new website on the tenor player Percy France, who may not be that well known to many people, but he okayed with Bill Doggett, among others, and is on Jimmy Smith’s BN record, Home Cooking.

Dan Gould, a long time jazz fan, also a member of Organissimo, has put together a wonderful wonderful website dedicated to Percy France, with music clips and tons of clippings and photos.

If you are interested, here is the address:

https://www.percyfrance.info/

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

To me this has at least a jazzy feel to it even if it isn't really Jazz. I love this album. If you don't know it you should check it out. It's all instrumental.

[​IMG]
    Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters ‎– Grateful Heart - Blues & Ballads
    Label:
    Bullseye Blues ‎– BB 9565
    Format:
    CD, Album
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Blues

Ant G, dennis the menace and Bradd like this.
  19. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Ralph Towner: Time Line

[​IMG]

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

When Blues was my main listening music I used to enjoy Ronnie Earl quite a bit.

mwheelerk likes this.
  21. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Charlie Haden & Kenny Barron - Night and The City (CD, 1998, Verve)

Charlie Haden (b), Kenny Barron (p)

Today is a busy work day for me. However, because I am still working from home I am free to listen to music during my breaks. Throughout the day I have been taking short breaks that last one Haden/Barron tune each. This works really well with a 7 track album on which the shortest song is 7 minutes and the longest 12:47. The duo setting really draws attention to Haden's beautiful bass tone!

And now I am about to finish track 6, so it is time to get back to work and move to the final track in about an hour!

[​IMG]

22. Lonson

Charles Mingus "Mingus at Carnegie Hall (Complete)" disc 2

[​IMG]

23. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    Joe Henderson - Black Is The Color
    One of his funkiest

24. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Pat Metheny - From This Place

[​IMG]

While I really enjoy this album as is, I would be very curious to hear it without the orchestral arrangement. The album was originally conceived as a quartet record, and with this band I'm sure that would be a thrilling listen.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Jim Flora, artist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]