Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

First screen. Uninstall and reinstall. That's what I had to do to get it to show up.

[​IMG]

2. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Whoa!! That was the very first Neil show I saw and it changed my musical life completely. I can’t believe it’s available to listen!

3. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

This is something I find especially rewarding about the timeline concerts is that many people are getting to hear shows in pretty great quality they attended years or decades ago. It must be a real time capsule in that regard, especially since they feature the entire show banter and all. He hasnt posted one I've attended yet, but if he ever does it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to my memories of the gig.

Sean, babyblue, adamos and 3 others like this.
  4. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm really excited to listen to this tonight. I have so many memories of that gig, but as we know, memory is a fickle thing. I still remember hearing "This Note's For You" for the first time and my friends and I thinking it was the funniest thing ever. The pre-Bluenotes mini-set was an unexpected surprise as well, but it was the final barrage of songs that completely blew my 16-year-old mind and made me a Neil fanatic for life.

Sean, lambfan68, adamos and 3 others like this.
  5. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Timeline gig from 87 on app. Now we are talking NYA- PLEASE follow suit with the rest :)

Sean, DmitriKaramazov, csnfan and 3 others like this.
  6. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

This 1987 concert is great - I saw them a few nights before at the Mann Music Centre in Philly - similar setlist

I also agree with Royal Pineapple - I like the soundof this - the bit of muffle is not a deterrent at all.

One test for me is whether some songs I normally skip ("Sugar Mountain," Dance Dance Dance") are any good. I really like these versions, for what it's worth.

I keep coming back with NYA to thinking that this would have been a $50 bootleg purchase in 1995. Now we get this - and so much more - for $40. What a deal!

7. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

A few new updates from the recent batch of LTTE that have been posted today:

-John Hanlon has done some mastering work on Toast recently. Neil also says “I really want to get it out there to all you folks who would like to hear it.”
    -He also says “Barn comes out this year! We are waiting for the vinyl which takes a long time these days. I wish it was out now.”
    -In another response, he says that Barn “is very special” and that it’s “weeks now til the first track drops.”
    -He says that “Guilty Train” we never completed, and that another similar version to what’s on Songs for Judy will be on Volume III.
    -In another response, he mentions that Volume III is still scheduled for 2022

Sean, Echoes71, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What is Barn?

9. IHeartRecordsAz

The name of his upcoming new album with Crazy Horse.

ARK, Sean, Vinyl Socks and 4 others like this.
  10. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I thought Hanlon backed away? So I wonder then is the work on Toast not that recent or is Hanlon back?

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I noticed that!!! :righton:

12. IHeartRecordsAz

I took the original statement to mean that he was reducing his work load with NYA, but not necessarily retire completely.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  13. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

That would make sense. From the time of the inception to the Neil says Uncle Eddie sez release it all at once phase probably had Hanlon pulling out his hair wondering what he had signed up for!

14. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Well, us fans have suggested a solution for that, but if you insist on releasing all formats at once, what can you do?

Lost In The Flood and Alan57 like this.
  15. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Getting all the timeline concerts easily accessable on mobile (for Rust Tier+ subscribers) should be next.

(Nothing fancy, nothing expensive to implement*—just a basic index page that reliably works.)

Otherwise we're in a position where users who have paid for "Rust Tier" are getting a less user-friendly experience than if they just stayed as base-level subscribers and streamed the "Concert of the Moment" on mobile.

(And with that in mind — do Rust Tier+ subscribers need to get a few exciting exclusives from time to time? Otherwise, is there any real motivation to upgrade?).

*The main challenge facing NYA is what I suspect are quite ridiculous expenses.

Most artists can only dream of having literally tens-of-thousands of paying subscribers — there's no lack of potential here. That only matters, though, if less money is going out than coming in.

For now, NYA survives on Neil's readiness to pour in funding from his other successes. But as with any other business, long-term sustainability comes from making a profit.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    adamos and qtrules like this.
  16. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

This concert from Mansfield seems recorded on a cassette. A lot of hiss here.

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

haha. the day neil starts taking advice from fans is the day he's toast.

18. RoyalPineapple

Well, Neil took Harm's "advice" (so to speak) about the audio mix on the Rust Bucket DVD — and he hasn't kicked the aforementioned bucket yet.

Pineapple re-mix version:

The day Neil starts taking advice from his fans indiscriminately, he's toast (or at least, less of an artist).

Sean, ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. RoyalPineapple

Many of us, of course, could tell Neil how to make an album we'd be pleased with.

(We know what we like, and we can put it into words. That bit's easy.)

And that's why Neil gets offered a lot of money to do a "Harvest 50th Anniversary Tour", and stuff like that.

But none of us, perhaps, would have suggested taking a compilation of concert recordings and then overdubbing a wildly-creative array of animal sounds, car horns and church bells; forming a sort of multi-dimensional soundtrack to life on Earth (and commentary on genetic modification).

We fans are good are knowing what we like. We're not always so good at predicting the startling innovation we will really love.

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

wildly creative? that's...generous.

i will say this about earth. i was picking huckleberries in the forest once while listening to "earth", and i thought i was about to be murdered by crows.

Sean, Twinge Crispy, Alan57 and 5 others like this.
  21. RoyalPineapple

:laugh:

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I was at the first US show of the 1987 Life Tour. This Note’s For You wasn’t in the set, but an excellent American Dream and Name of Love were, along with Don’t Take Your Love and Big Room.

Edit: Also included the unreleased Someday. So five new songs!

The band was in a rocking mood for the second set. I remember them simply tearing up Opera Star. Was a fun night!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Sean, Echoes71, adamos and 8 others like this.
  23. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

It pains me to say that the Bluenotes songs, bar Don't Take Your Love Away From Me is the stuff I like the least, needs more horns and less Billy and Ralph. For some reason, all these songs seem to drag a bit.

As if Billy and Ralph weren't comfortable playing these songs.

24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well, it didn’t take Neil long to replace them.

Personally I thought the more horns and straighter the rhythm section got, the more unauthentic the Bluenotes sounded. I guess I thought Neil played more creatively and less blues cliched with the CH rhythm section. At least the stuff I’ve heard.

Sean, matt79rome89, GregK and 2 others like this.
  25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

It was great to be able to play the latest Timeline concert via the app and BluOS. I really hope that’ll happen for all of them.