Best tracks to test soundstage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LakeMountain, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Yes its superb and a digital recording!

Dillydipper likes this.
  2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The fairly recent Intervention Records release is very nice. I have the SACD.

Joe Jackson

George P likes this.
  3. Danny Bezak

Danny Bezak Active Member

Just finished listening to Ray Charles Genius Loves Company album. Amazing soundstage!! The duets have placement and presence like the singers are in the room with you!... and some great music!

LakeMountain and Steve356 like this.
  4. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Randoms and Khorn like this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Nice, just listening yesterday.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  6. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Dire Staits eponymous album(yes the one with Sultans Of Swing)great complete album with 3 guys (and some extra of Marks guitars) great intimate recording.....original record is king here though...been trying to replace it for years without success:(

Khorn, bever70, OC Zed and 2 others like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Anything by Laurie Anderson.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  8. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Rush Tom Sawyer
    Metallica Enter Sandman
    Black Sabbath War Pigs
    Pink Floyd Hey You/Money/Us and Them

9. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

As I stated before, modern classical recordings are very good, including sound staging. A recent Norwegian recoding of modern choral music—“So is My Love,” performed by the Ensemble 96, is a good example. I listen to it as ripped CD, but it is an SACD and comes with a Blu-ray Disc (9.0) Dolby Atmos.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

This Direct To Disc recording on vinyl or CD is the most realistic 3D sound I've ever heard of a big band and sounds that way on both speakers and headphones which usually isn't the case with big room head space natural reverb where on headphones it's very 3D but on speakers requires one crank the volume to bring background instruments forward so they don't sound like they're playing in a garage.

Harry James King James Version Sheffield Labs recording...

Ilusndweller likes this.
  11. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

12. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I have that Harry James recording on Sheffield and it is a terrific recording for both soundstaging and for realistic dynamics. There are quite a few other terrific examples from Sheffield. I also like the direct to disc recordings of M&K Realtime Records (e.g., check out the Bill Berry and Ellington Allstars "For Duke" record).

13. Khorn

Always wanted this title but never picked it up.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

What's stopping now?

15. Khorn

Just considering getting a CD transport to play my library. Haven’t had a player in years. When I do I’ll probably grab it.

16. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I was just listening to Tom Petty's MOJO the other day and I think it has a pretty good soundstage. Recorded pretty much live in "The Clubhouse", you can hear everybody very cleanly and clearly.

LakeMountain likes this.
  17. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Nice recommendation of Macy Gray. Interestingly uses the same 'single mic in a church' approach as the Cowboy Junkies.
    I would not agree that either soundstage is better than the other, each to me seems to simply present the singer and band in a 3d, 'holographic, fashion.
    Either way, thanks for the recommendation, that Macy Gray album had passed me by.

LakeMountain and bever70 like this.
  18. Khorn

This is really interesting about the Macy Gray recording. Years ago I bought an album recording by her that was so totally “hot” it was excruciatingly unlistenable. Too bad as I got it cause I must have really liked the music.

I’ll have to check out “Stripped” as it would be an interesting experience.

LakeMountain and bever70 like this.
  19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

It's totally and radically different from her commercial albums in every possible way! It's a Chesky recording, her others are not.

Tim Lookingbill, Steve356 and Khorn like this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I just seem to prefer the tonality/timbre on the Macy Gray which, to me, sounds slightly 'warmer' than the Cowboy Junkies recording.

21. Khorn

I like Chesky stuff. Only had one strange experience that I posted about years ago. A recording with actually too much dynamic range for realistic domestic reproduction.

bever70 likes this.
  22. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Listening to Emily Barker's Flight Path Rhymes, spoken word between the music, in both cases she might as well be in the room with me. Which simply reminds me that most of her output is really well recorded especially her later albums, with a wide, high and deep soundstage.

23. Major Dolphin

Major Dolphin "If music be the food of love, play on" William S.

24. Khorn

For sheer pure voice character check out:

Robbie Robertson 1987 self titled album

Track: “Somewhere Down the Crazy River”

I find it sort of mesmerizing.

moomaloo, Panama Hotel, DPC and 3 others like this.
  25. John76

John76 Forum Resident

“Rudy” from Supertramp’s Crime of the Century is one that immediately comes to mind.