Is your favourite album set in stone, or is it flexible?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lettheflamesbegin, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yep, my favorite constantly changes, and may change back to former faves.

It's music, not a legally binding agreement.

ARK, Siegmund and bhazen like this.
  2. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Hell no, could it it ever be set in stone!

I listen to several different subgenres of: prog (avant-prog, Zeuhl, symph, technical-metal, prog-metal), Canterbury), jazz (fusion, post-bop, chamber-jazz, avant-garde), classical (avant-garde, spectralisim, serialism, atonal).

Each on of all the above have multiple pieces and compositions which I consider masterpieces.

There is no way I can pick one favorite among each of the above, let alone one above all the rest.

The Dark Elf likes this.
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

How 'bout next week, next month, next year...?

4. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Agreed. To many genres to pick a definitive single album, because the albums I consider masterpieces are individual gems that have their own specific superlative nature. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are great, but he couldn't play the blues like Muddy Waters at Newport. Likewise, the only comparative basis for Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison and B.B. King at Cook County Jail is that they both were held at detention facilities. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has literally nothing to do with Five Leaves Left, nor does Physical Graffiti have anything to compare with Days of Future Past or A Love Supreme. Wish You Were Here, The White Album, Sketches of Spain, The Four Seasons, Liege & Lief: they are what they are, and I love them -- and a hundred or so more I'd consider "great".

Simoon and RayMusicLover like this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

My top 10 has typically always had the same core group of albums, but I sense it being completely different in a year, or so. But this is basically the end of my first decade of being seriously into music, so it's probably a natural evolution point.

6. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Yes. My favourite album is Exile but for deeply personal reasons. In 1971 to 1972. my family spent half a year in England and half a year in Switzerland. We were in Geneva starting in February 1972 so we were just down the road from where Keith was living and where the rehearsal footage for the 1972 tour was shot. That summer we drove to the French Riviera and went through Villefranche-Sur-Mer. My brother's friend had been down there earlier and said there were reports that you could hear what was going on at the house - parties and recording - from some distance away. I was eleven. When we returned, my older brother and sister regularly played the Stones albums that are now acclaimed as the Big Four including, of course, Exile On Main St.. I loved the cover and the handwritten lyrics included in the design. I loved the notes for each song though I had no idea what amyl nitrate was. The music took time to seep in. I didn't really get into the Stones until 1974 when I read the Anthony Scaduto Jagger biography and then played the albums for myself and got to know them. I love Exile as a construct. I don't do vinyl now but picking up the record and playing a side and flipping it over made you more aware of how the four sides are put together. The true test is whether you listen to it and I have, without a doubt, played Exile more than any other album and I still play it (I don't know, at least two times a year but I sometimes sample individual songs randomly). So yeah my number one record is set in Stones.

Amnion, Umbari and OldSoul like this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Nothing's going to change my world... er, my fave:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Other than three or four Fabs albums, nothing's going to push this out as my fave non-Fabs album:

[​IMG]

Herman Schultz likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Don't have a set in stone favourite; but whatever it happens to be, it's usually by the Beatles.

JDeanB and john lennonist like this.
  10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I appreciate the Beatles were good but I think there are a lot of better albums made. Please don’t get defensive I am not trying to start a fight. I love their albums but I love others more.

ARK and Mikewest like this.
  11. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Set in stone, and I'm fairly confident it'll remain there for the rest of my life.

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There will never be a replacement favourite for you.
    I am in the same boat. ' Bridge Over Troubled Water' has been my favourite album for over 50 years.
    How many times have I played it? Who knows? Thousands? Probably. It's part of my musical DNA.
    What could possibly come along to replace it?

PepiJean likes this.
  13. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

<======= Set in stone for 30+ years.

Top 2 to 10 shows signs of flexibility including a katydid, a toilet seat surrounded by graffiti, radio waves from a pulsar, a boy posing for the second time on a 3rd album etc....

14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not sure that I've ever really had a "favorite" album. I have lots of favorites. I'm this way with movies, tv shows, songs, books, etc.

15. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

I could give you my favorite folk album. Or my favorite industrial album. Or my favorite prog metal album. Or my favorite death metal album. Or my favorite pop latino album. Etc, etc. I like too many things that fit in different holes to have a definite list

16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My choice of favorite album depends on my mood.

Bill Diercks and RSteven like this.
  17. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

My favorite album has been The Who's Quadrophenia since 1993. Seems highly unlikely anything will unseat it.

18. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

The Wedding Present's Seamonsters has been my favorite album since the very first time I heard it in 1991. Nothing's knocked it off its perch since then, but I suppose it's possible that something will at some point. But I doubt it. A few have come close, though- Rocket from the Crypt's Circa: Now!, GbV's Bee Thousand, and Pearl Jam's No Code.

19. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

My top#3 has remained the same for the last 20 years:

3- Blonde on blonde, Bob - 1966
    2- King Creole, Elvis - 1958
    1- The wild, the innocent & the e-street shuffle, Bruce - 1974

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I've always been list-oriented, so every couple of years I'll have a look at my Top X Albums Of All-Time (maybe 50, usually 100) and see if I've changed my mind about anything.

There's usually plenty of movement and switching beneath the Top 10, but the Top 10 rarely change (Achtung Baby slips in and out, depending on how successfully I can block out Bono from my thoughts). In fact, the identity of my Top 5 albums hasn't changed for about 15 years now, but the order occasionally does.

Blue Nile's Hats is my #1 99% of the time. PG's So briefly took over (it would have been #1 until Hats' release, probably), and one time I played Songs From The Big Chair when it was last reissued, I felt like it was the best album ever. Those, plus two other 80s albums, are my set-in-stone top 5.

EG.

21. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

It has changed over the years and it can also change back.
    My first favourite album was Dark Side Of The Moon, then Lovesexy (Prince) in the 80s and Check Your Head (Beastie Boys) in the 90s. Of course with other temporary highlights inbetween. Today I guess it's Songs In The Key Of Life because it's the album I listened to the most in the past two years.
    So yeah, totally flexible.
    I guess there are about 30 albums that I love and could hit the top spot.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Beatles White LP. I even have the t-shirt….. :D

RayMusicLover and JDeanB like this.
  23. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

I bought the UK version of Duane Eddy's $1,000,000 Worth of Twang - Vol II in April 1964. It was the fourth album I bought - there have been hundreds since. But nothing will knock that one off my No. 1 slot.

24. I don't have an absolute favorite album. I have some favorites, but not one that I consider an absolute favorite.

25. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

A few albums come close but my favourite is set in stone - Revolver