Lana Del Rey - Blue Banisters. New album October 8, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turbo2k, May 21, 2021.

1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I was, on some level, ready to not like this. Chemtrails... didn't have that much staying power for me and I figured a pass on this one would be okay. But I forgot the allure of her music, her whole persona, and how strong that can be. Her vision of a haunted L.A. filled with malcontents, sad ex lovers and some lurking danger in the background is very hard to resist. Alternately resigned and optimistic she navigates some pretty gnarly terrain while draping everything in gossamer melodies and subdued moods. Like looking out at your city on a moonlit night with all the lights shining and seeing the beauty and wondering when it's going to vanish or who's going to come along and screw it all up. Maybe she's a Joan Didion fan.
    Not bad for someone who was written off as a joke right at the start, and good for her.

Bob J, razorball, bigdoug920 and 11 others like this.
  2. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Yes but it absolutely does not fit on the album!

This era reminds me of Julian Cope's first solo albums - she's just shaking all these songs out of herself, getting them down and then moving on. "Blue Bannisters" borders on being her Jandek album (but that might be all the references to the colour blue as well as the stripped down nature of most of it). It's beautiful and fascinating stuff.

Bevok likes this.
  3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Sorry, but I totally disagree. It’s the perfect coda to “Arcadia” – and in the original video it’s actually part of that track, so now I feel “Arcadia” is incomplete without it.

4. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

It works in the video because it feels like music for the closing credits. Which is what I assumed it was. I was surprised to hear it on the album.

Maybe it'll fare better on vinyl should it bring side one to a close.

5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

It's always good to hear from ya, Ralph! Very open minded to all sorts of music :righton:

ralphb and mrjinks like this.
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I never wrote her off as a joke. She's great at what she does.

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Very well written. :righton:

8. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Enjoyimg this lots.

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That was quite lovely… I still feel like SNL really owes Lana a chance to redeem herself from her first appearance (which I didn’t think was as awful as everyone made out)…

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  10. Ariel Aditya

Ariel Aditya Well-Known Member

Love the feel of this album. I even listened to it more than the great NFR! For me this is the most enjoyable Lana album so far. A pleasant surprise since it's rather a low-key release.

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pretty wild that all the exclusive vinyl editions are already completely sold out.

toddfan likes this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This Colbert video was my first exposure to BB, so I’m glad I checked in on this thread and picked up on the enthusiasm for the album, because I found this performance of “Arcadia” to be almost fatally lugubrious and musically moribund. Will now check it out and hopefully find better things.

13. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan of Chemtrails - not that it's bad, it just felt repetitive for Lana - but I love this album so far. Dealer is a killer track

14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Sorry I quoted the incorrect video -- I meant my comment for the Colbert appearance not the unboxing!

D-rock and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I concur as Ultraviolence is my Favorite LDR/Lizzy Grant Album.

Tommy Jay likes this.
  16. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

The white LP is still available from UMusic Canada.
    BLUE BANISTERS TRANSPARENT WHITE VINYL

17. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I bought the album and listened once through at the weekend. It all sounds so familiar. The down tempo echo and esoteric vocal. Did she make a bet to see how times she could include **** in the lyrics? I was underwhelmed and got really bored half way through. It's all a bit self indulgent. Like many artists she has difficulty editing down the number of tracks for inclusion on the album. I'm a fan but the initial impression is one of being greatly underwhelmed.

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I would suggest you pick out the following and try these as a way into the album:
    Arcadia/Interlude
    Dealer
    Beautiful
    Living Legend
    Cherry Blossom

19. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Thanks Dave, I'll programme those tracks. Sometime things click instantly and others can take a few listens- often depends on mood/time of day etc.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  20. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

I,ve listened to it just once and the only song that really stood up for me was Dealer. The raw emotion on that one is a stark contrast to the more sedated nature from the rest of the record.

bmh5879 and olinko like this.
  21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My LP won't arrive until after November 12 from Amazon.

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

It’s a real grower, with some very strong material. Needs a few plays.

23. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Black vinyl arrived today from amazon U.K. ..bonus as was supposed to be delayed

24. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love this album! It's been on repeat since friday.

Dealer is amazing, the slow groove reminds me of Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin's Je T'aime Moi Non Plus. Miles Kane is perfect on it and Lana's desperate vocals are mind-blowing!

My 2 vinyl copies shipped from the european Lana-store yesterday.

25. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I'm not sure if I should order the white vinyl or wait to see if the red vinyl with alternative cover is released in Germany.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Turbo2k likes this.