The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ray solo on Jools Holland, NYE 2013. I remembered this seeming like a cringeingly weak performance at the time, but on reflection it’s not that bad. He is definitely showing his years here though imo.

2. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I love "Skin And Bone". A lot of it has to do with the interlocking guitars (gee, why would that appeal to a Stones fan?) but also the way this seemingly silly song is actually addressing a pretty serious issue. I also love how the song incorporates something extremely English as the subject of the song weighs "just about sixteen stone" (for North Americans - a stone is 14 pounds. Don't ask me how or why this measurement was ever thought up). I guess you could say it's a bit flippant but I think Ray is not unsympathetic and he is really actually shining on a light on eating disorders. The Swinging Sixties saw the rise of the pencil-thin model (think Twiggy) and the constant media pressure that emphasized how women (who suffer from eating disorders more than men) should look. And though the narrator describes Annie as "flabby" and "fat", these are not necessarily negative attributes. The narrator pines for the way Annie used to be ("she used to be so cuddly") so I hear no body shaming. Plus anorexia nervosa is very unhealthy (Karen Carpenter suffered for years and it caused her death) so once again, Ray focuses on subjects most other writers would avoid. When I first heard it, I just liked it musically but when I started to understand what the song was really saying I liked it even more.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

:righton:

I audibly groan whenever Steph mentions her weight.... "you look great, how do you feel, ignore the damn scales!"

4. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Skin & Bone
    I can see how some people here find the studio version of this song to be dreary - it doesn't have enough propulsion. But it really comes alive when played live. I think Ray kept playing this song because he could see the audience getting into it - dancing, clapping etc: as demonstrated on the Jools Holland show by people who probably had never heard it before. It's a light-hearted fun song - and I don't care much for reassessing the lyrics with what we now know about eating disorders. So yes I like this song but prefer to hear it played live than the studio version. Also, I have a current soft spot for this song because I'm on my own mission to trim down from 105 kg to the mid-90s - adopting (by coincidence rather than as scripture) some elements of the regime in Skin & Bone!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Skin And Bone: another winner for me that immediately gets the ‘ol toes tapping. I love this rollicking, bluesy track and I can’t help singing aloud on the “she don’t eat no mashed potatoes.” As mentioned by Mark, the song touches on the “dem bones, dem bones” (so I’m always thinking ‘the leg bones connected to the thigh bone’ in my head).

I never thought about Twiggy but I bet those of you that have mentioned her are right. It could well be that the origin of the song is from barroom talk such as “have you seen that Twiggy? She’s all skin and bone.” I remember when she was everywhere (including Japan, too.)

6. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Skin and Bone

I would say this is my least favorite on the album. I still enjoy it though. It seems like it was meant to be performed live. The instructions to the crowd (“bend your hips and touch your toes!”). But it overall seems like a derivative riff and song that I could imagine mid 1970s Queen doing almost note-for-note and tongue-in-cheek lyric-for-lyric. So maybe this song is a few years ahead of its time?

As for the theme, I see this fitting in nicely as an example of the structural or societal pressures that a 20th century (wo)man would face, and how it can really mess up your life. This is not a portrait of a healthy woman. She went to a fake dietician who gave her an eating disorder. When you say to someone “you look like skin and bones!” that is not a complement. But it is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek way to say it looks like you are starving and you really need to put on a few pounds to be healthy.

Regarding the bass vocals on “them bones” (or whatever they are saying) do we know who is singing there? Dalton? This is a great observation:

In summary, a fun tune, would have been an upper tier mid-70s Queen song, but it’s bottom tier on this particular album when compared to the rest of the songs.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  7. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Skin and Bone: This song has a jaunty little pace and some incredibly funny lyrics. To top it off, it’s got a catchy chorus which has been stuck in my head for weeks now. I can understand some of the comments from the posters here saying that the album tends to be a bit downbeat, and I do feel that this rather humorous and fast paced song comes along at just the right time to give the album the quick kick in the pants that it needs to keep it interesting and fun like a good kinks record should be.

8. mark winstanley

Yea, it is definitely leaning towards songs about mental health, and more directly, how the modern world seems to create these mental health issues.

9. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

Holiday

A very interesting track. Very much sounds like something that could have been released on a 78 back in the 1920's (though at a much diminished sound quality).

10. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

On a little side note, I'm at my mother in law's right now, in the countryside not too far from Paris and we did a little forest hike earlier this morning, under a nice sun and surrounded by the beautiful fall colors. And I had a flash of the last time I was in the same forest a little more than six months ago, in late April, reading and writing posts about the All Day and All of the Night / I Gotta Move single on this very thread, during a little picnic with my kids. I found it really moving that the forest itself would trigger a reminiscence of the time spent on this thread, proving that it (and its participants) has paced my day to day life in the last months in quite an agreeable, peaceful way. It's also fitting that in spring, we would be discussing the raw All Day and All of the Night and in early November, we're well into Muswell Hillbillies, a record some call "dreary" but I like to call "autumnal" (especially since it was released in November, exactly half a century ago – the only time we'll get to be in synch with such an anniversary during the threads's course).

11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Comedian John Astin upon seeing a leggy blonde in a bikini walk past him in a long forgotten TV show from 1967 called Malibu U: "That was Twiggy before taxes!"

"Skin and Bones" to me is Ray's version of "Dem Bones", w/updated lyrics that reflected the growing obsession w/weight that women were having, often to their determent, as the sad story of Karen Carpenter showed. As w/much of Ray's songs, it's a bit of a jolly song that doesn't seem as jolly when you look at the lyrics. As the other Avids have pointed out, this song really lights up when performed live like several other songs from this album.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's from here on that I get less and less interested in The Kinks. Not to say that there was any drop in quality or anything but I get the feeling that they are still in late 60s mode. It all feels a little Mungo Jerry by this point I feel.

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You got it the first time.

14. All Down The Line

?

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I'd spotted the "Dem Bones" connection as well - and that could be part of the problem for me. There is a current song called "Dry Bones" which also references "Dem Bones", and it's being played a lot on Radio 2 to the extent of driving me up the wall. Of course, this is none of the Kinks' fault, but it's not going to help in making me any more amenable to "Skin And Bone".

16. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

This statement basically describes my take on every flavor of ice cream.

17. All Down The Line

Ok @DISKOJOE this US 5 track promo jukebox EP may be right up your alley?

[​IMG]

What's on side A you ask?
    She's A Rainbow & 2000 Light Years From Home

18. All Down The Line

Hey @The late man sorry about We Love You however you can squeeze in Dandelion into SMR surroundings if you obtain a Mexican Satanic Majesties Request EP.

[​IMG]

19. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

I was playing on your predilection for puns. That’s boyscott, not boycott.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Everytime I see this, I just think of Geoffrey Boycott, the Yorkshire cricket legend

21. All Down The Line

Exactly!

22. All Down The Line

Ok, I would have recognised boyscout.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I always do a preliminary placement of songs onto to my (infamous) playlist and am scratching my head because I just noticed that a couple of songs were missing. So I just inserted it again and took a look to confirm it made it. No. In fact, another song disappeared! Crazy.

24. All Down The Line

Skin And Bone

The studio version is new for me and I enjoy the guitar tones and laid back vibe.
    I agree with the two songs Mark mentioned Dem Bones/Dry Bones & the Shortnin' Bread song my mum used to sing to me as a wee lad.
    I get the T-Rex comment another Avid made but the opening intro vibe itself reminds me of another 1971 release called Eagle Rock by Australian group Daddy Cool.
    I guess a fun (though seriously topical) song to help fill the album but it feels pretty slight and i am surprised how much live mileage the band got out of this live, perhaps it was their preferred horny arrangement?
    Either way if I heard it start in a concert i was at i would be thinking hey guys you can play something/anything else for 5 minutes!
    Ok a bit of fun but simple and not remotely a high point for a writer like Ray Davies, i think I'll go back and have a Harry Rag instead and I don't even smoke!

Wondergirl, Ex-Fed, Steve62 and 9 others like this.
  25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Ray Davies did write a song about cricket after all. At least one, he might have written more.