Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I find Aloha more enjoyable to listen to than watch!

Flaming Torch, I333I and Sebastian like this.
  2. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

In my case, i enjoy the best performances from that show. The problem is there are not toó many. STEAMROLLER BLUES is probably my favorite and it's great to have the visuals on that one. Same with I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY, FEVER, AN AMERICAN TRILOGY and A BIG HUNK O'LOVE. The rest is a bit tame if not uninspired at all, which is a shame as it was a nice oportunity for Elvis to go worldwide.
    I wish he had had that oportunity in 1969 when he was still on fire and relevant.

hodgo and croquetlawns like this.
  3. [​IMG]

I’m really not too excited about this FTD release but I’ll wait for audio reviews to come in and then decide.

4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Awesome news!

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For once, could they make a complete version of all of the Aloha material, all newly mixed consistently and WELL?

Not this time - again.

6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree. With Elvis not moving much during the Aloha broadcast, it’s kind of dull to watch compared to other 70s performances, before it and after it. But I do enjoy the concert, particularly “Steamroller Blues” and “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry.” I love the big “sessions” boxes and the quality of the booklets and the liner notes, and this looks like it will be a nice package, even if I own multiple copies of the Aloha show already. They’ve reeled me in again.

minkahed and croquetlawns like this.
  8. croquetlawns

I wonder if it will sound better than the 5.1 mix on the DVD - I don't have it but I've heard that it was great.

minkahed likes this.
  9. croquetlawns

That's a nice looking set! I'll be interested to hear what people think of it.

10. Dang it, for a split second I thought they were releasing the Quad version based on the inclusion of the Quadradisc ‘sticker’ but nope, the CDs say ‘stereo’. Missed opportunity for sure.

11. artfromtex

A video Bluray of the 2 concerts and American broadcast along with an audio Bluray with the original quad mix would have made this an "ultimate" set for sure.
    (Along with the 3 CD'S)

12. croquetlawns

Maybe their saving that for the 50th!

Flaming Torch, RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  13. artfromtex

A Bluray with all the video content paired with an audio Bluray of the original quad, the new MRS remix and all other related audio in a nice package would be a good product for 2023.

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  14. croquetlawns

Totally agree - especially if it's released by Sony at a reasonable price!

Shawn, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It is fantastic and to me the best mix yet of the two Aloha concert shows. I believe @PacificOceanBlue will back me up on that view as well. I am curious to see what Matt-Ross Spang can do with his talents to improve the mix, but I actually prefer to see the visual concert along with the great sound.

Elvis's stage movements were somewhat limited during these two shows, but I think that was intentional on his part given the huge International audience and the high stakes. I believe he wanted to really showcase his voice as well to that huge worldwide television audience. I like the pace of the show and the setlist too. The difference in the Rehearsal concert and the actually live satellite show is interesting to compare as well. Elvis is more loose for the practice show, but he forgets some lyrics too. Elvis wanted his hair trimmed after he looked at the footage from the first show and that was definitely the right decision on his part, Lol. His movements for the actual broadcast may be more limited than the previous years, but they are sharp and crisp and I love his ending poses after each song. He mixed it up quite a bit during the live broadcast, instead of just ending every song with his usual reverse arm thrust and jump.

The package really does look very nice. I will have to pick this one up as well. 2022 looks pretty exciting for Elvis fans right off the bat. I don't think we are going to have many more years like the past few and this upcoming one.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Is there a reason they couldn't use the quad mix to go along with the video? That would be incredible on a Blu-ray.

croquetlawns and artfromtex like this.
  17. artfromtex

Since about 2009 we have been in a "Golden Era" in regards to Elvis' catalog. The hits have VASTLY outweighed the misses more so than any period I can think of. His music has been presented superbly in the last 12 years. With the exception of "The Searcher" CD set I believe I have kept up with it all.

I would add that I believe time will be kind to these sessions sets.

18. artfromtex

They could absolutely make that an alternate audio track on the video.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Has there been any more news about the FTD warehouse fire?

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The 8x8 "sessions" slipcase packaging is terrible, frequently leading to scratched and scuffed discs.

hodgo likes this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yep have not watched it since the last official release of the film came out in a box thing similar to the 68 special. I have never really warmed to Aloha. What do we have officially already? I have an old cd boot of the rehearsal show which is no doubt redundant as I think that was in a 5 inch size release by Sony Legacy. Sometimes I feel a bit like Floyd "running over the same old ground".
    I assume everything in the forthcoming set has already been out officially but presumably not these new mixes. Would be nice but no doubt expensive to put in a dvd/blu-ray or sacd with the old quad mix.
    Thanks to all the posts above. I am a bit more up to speed now!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    croquetlawns likes this.
  22. croquetlawns

Have the outtakes from the after-show songs on disc 3 been released before?

23. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

croquetlawns, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  24. And technically speaking, as some of those tracks have only been released officially on DVD the CDs should sound better, all things being equal from a mastering perspective, as the DVD has lossy audio. Still, these aren’t state-of-the-art recordings but it will be nice to have them lossless.

croquetlawns, RSteven and Sebastian like this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Well, this is hardly a surprise. In many of our "FTD, What's Next" conversations here, many opined that a Aloha FTD would some day come to fruition and here it is. I am down for this, if only for the Matt Ross Spang remix and having all the after show performances in one place.

Shawn and RSteven like this.