Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. AheadByEcho

AheadByEcho Forum Resident

I didn't even know this existed until I was going though the What Are YOU Listening To Now Part 103 thread. But a three disc Gene Clark compilation from Music On CD titled Collected came out in July 2021. Primarily a European set, it sells for much higher on discogs or eBay than what amazon is charging right now which is $20.88. I have very little Gene Clark, but what I do have I enjoy. I certainly jumped on this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096WP5PSL?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Worth every penny, despite some weird track choices. I grabbed the colored vinyl set and am very pleased with that as well.

latheofheaven likes this.
  3. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Playing the MOV Who’s Next - wooooooooooah baby! This is crazy. Ive only had a beat up MCA.

Keyfree, aoxomoxoa, elsanto and 8 others like this.
  4. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

Excuse the venting:
    I just ordered the Sylvie Vartan 85CD singles box set from Amazon for $45 (it subsequently jumped to $99, so I didn't post the deal here). It arrived in a big box without any padding,and was predictably banged up and split. Customer service were very apologetic: of course they'll send a replacement, yes they'll make a note to pack it better. You see where this is going, of course? The replacement arrived today...with no packaging at all. Bashed, split and scraped to hell. Oh, but some thoughtful person had wound sellotape around the box itself to hold the lid on.
    All so deadeningly predictable, of course (pay peanuts, get monkeys). I should boycott them (but I know I wont!).

sennj, FWatty, Juggsnelson and 3 others like this.
  5. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Gave this a spin today. Pretty damn silly, but also pretty damn awesome. I’ll probably be listening to this a lot more than anticipated.

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Man. That blows. Hope you get taken care of because that is a hell of a cool deal.

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I went through this with a vinyl record last year 4 copies in a row all shipped in plastic bags & all bent really bad , i had to email someone in the upper office & they got back to me took my complaint & info & said they would call my warehouse where most stuff comes from & put a note in my account not to ship like that anymore .
    6 months later so far so good :righton:

8. Comicsanstombstone

Well, I got a refund (they wouldn't send another replacement), which is something. It's just grimly hilarious that someone went to the trouble to mummify the box itself in sellotape, then (presumably) stood back and thought "there, a job well done", before slapping an address label on the bottom and hurling it into the shipping abyss.

9. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Heh, I know exactly what you mean :) It is completely theatrical, kind of like a deeper Goth version of KISS. But, along with his frigg'n amazing voice and the mood of everything, that is what I love about it. I was listening to it the other day and when he screams out in total agony, 'YOU MAKE ME WANT TO KILL MYSELLLLLLLLLLF!!!' I couldn't help but just sit there and laugh at how awesome it was...

FWatty likes this.
  10. Comicsanstombstone

I've noticed many/most of the ultra-cheap LPs I've ordered from them arrive in plastic bags, which makes me wonder if it's a conscious attempt to maximize profits by skimping on shipping materials (EG: they've calculated what percentage are likely to arrive damaged + what percentage of people are likely to complain rather than just thinking "ah, I only paid $5, I can live with a corner bend" and decided it's to their $ advantage to ship in bags). But perhaps I'm ascribing Machiavellian motives to what's best explained by simple incompetence (Bezos' Law?).

11. FWatty

… or when he’s screaming “I know you’re f’ing someone!” and the rest of the band screams in unison “he knows you’re f’ing someone!”

12. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

:laugh: I know... Isn't just that most hilarious thing you've ever heard. I think this band was completely unique that way. On one hand theatrically agonized to the extreme, but you KNOW though authentically sounding, it was all done tongue-in-cheek. I think they really pull that off great!

FWatty and aoxomoxoa like this.
  13. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Don’t blame the workers. The completely unrealistic demands that are placed on them come from above. In a sense you’re right: they’re not paid to think (because there literally isn’t time).

14. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

THIS.

As an aside, I have no sympathy for anyone that refers to underpaid and over worked workers as monkees. ‍The icing is threatening to boycott and then rescinding it in the same sentence.

Gregalor, Shawn, Walt and 2 others like this.
  15. FWatty

I recall having a couple jobs in which I was grossly underpaid. I still performed my job and I did it damn well. It’s not restricted to employees either. We’ve all bought from morons on eBay, discogs, here, etc. Seeing how some people package things leads to only one conclusion on this compensation topic. Paying a ***** more money won’t cure the ***** part. At any rate, these complaints about being overworked and underpaid seem tone deaf in comparison to the tragedies addressed by Type O- in the aforementioned album.

[Now it’s possible employees are given no materials to properly package things, so I’ll acknowledge that potential explanation. Einstein couldn’t properly package vinyl if he’s only given a large envelope.]

black sheriff and latheofheaven like this.
  16. Comicsanstombstone

That's an outrageous calumny, I never compared them to monkees (though if I did, they'd be Peter Tork).

I'm sure it sucks working in Amazon's micromanaging, clock watching culture; I can feel this while also feeling that someone who swathes a box set in sellotape is a bit of a numpty. I doubt it was to do with deadlines (it must have been more time-consuming than just popping it in a box with some padding) or lack of materials (I'm fairly sure Amazon aren't running out of cardboard boxes). My empathy for my fellow proles gets sorely tested when it rubs up against basic incompetence.

Believe it or not, I'd noticed the inconsistency in my closing remark. I know I'm propping up a corporate culture of disengaged drones who are trying to meet targets while feeling little/no investment in their work; I also know I can't resist the opiate rush of a Good Deal. I'd hoped it was implied a good chunk of my irritation is directed back at myself.

Getting a bit off-topic, I know. Deals! Deals! Deals! How's the price on the Garth box looking?

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Here's a deal in a sense, for those Prime members who may not have a local shop they can conveniently stop by:

Aretha Franklin - Sparkle (clear vinyl): $25.90
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09P5KTM3J/
    This is the Rhino "Start Your Ear Off Right" release.

19. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

I bought a new record last week for $17.99 on Amazon and it came in one of those mailers, inside a box with that big plastic bubble wrap

20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Garth Boxset last June -

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:
    $139.71
    Shipping & Handling:
    $0.00
    Prime Savings:
    -$10.00
    Prime Savings:
    -$121.72

Total before tax:
    $7.99
    Estimated tax to be collected:
    $0.66

Grand Total:
    $8.65

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Did you get your money's worth out of it?

GentleSenator and latheofheaven like this.
  22. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

well, given that there’s been plenty of instances of items being packaged with little to no materials from Amazon-I’m going to guess this is a company problem(or maybe particular distribution centers within) and not an employee problem.

Anyway. it’s all good. I do feel bad when something arrives damaged and poorly packaged like it has for others(I’ve never had an issue)
    All good friend. I think I was in high horse mode and apologize for being salty. And yes, back to deals!

23. Comicsanstombstone

Triple color vinyl Glastonbury Fayre LP (Hawkwind, Gr*teful De*d, etc) on Akarma for $28, only one left.

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thanks! This looks killer. Never heard of it.

25. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

Check the price before placing your order, when I added this to my cart the price reverted to $99.99