My humble review of the Benchmark AHB2 and LH4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone?, Jun 1, 2021.

1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

When my AHB2 arrived, I found I needed balanced XLR cables to connect it to my DAC 3 HGC. I used to be involved in pro-sound so I had plenty of XLR microphone cables around the house. Unfortunately, they were all at least 20 feet long. Initially I used a pair of long 20’ XLR cables to connect the DAC3 to the AHB2, despite them being situated right next to each other. Even though the cables were too long for the application, I still noticed no audio degradation, no hum whatsoever. In an effort to clean up the cabling, I then went ahead and ordered a pair of 2’ long Canare Star Quad L-4E6S XLR cables (the same wire Benchmark uses in its cables). Again, no hum, amazing sound, and now the connections are tidier.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Dignan2000, timind, Tone? and 2 others like this.
  2. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I purchased a (second hand) Benchmark LA4 a while ago and wrote about it here:

Those that returned to SS after owning tubes/valves, why the return?

In a nutshell: I've been using and loving Conrad Johnson tube gear for years - my Premier 12 140w/side tube mono blocks and a Premier 16LS2 tube pre-amp.

I've tried solid state amps in the system off and on and while I always was impressed with some aspects - the neutrality, control, transparency - I always went running back to my tube amps because I found the SS amp ultimately too mechanical, too hard, lacking that organic quality I cherish so much.

But I decided to finally try the reverse: an SS pre with my tube amps. I went with the Benchmark LA4 for several reasons. One is that it had some features I wanted in a preamp. Two is that, my point in going with a SS preamp wasn't to "color" the sound but transparency, and there is no more transparent (measuring) preamp today than the LA4. In that sense, the price for an "end game" level of transparency with the LA4 (especially second hand) seemed a no-brainer.

The thing I worried about is that I've tried DACs directly in to my amps over the years, e.g. Meitner DACs that had volume control, my Benchmark DAC 1 and DAC 2L. But every time I was initially wowed by the transparency for a while...but the tone sounded too dark, the music threadbare, losing body and density. I always preferred an active pre-amp, which have been tube pre-amps in my case.

I'd heard from other audiophiles (and Benchmark) that the LA4 wasn't the same as simply running a DAC directly in to the pre-amp - that it gave the transparency of running a DAC straight in, but the "oomf" still of an actual pre-amp.

That's essentially what I seem to hear once I put the LA4 in to my system and it's been really satisfying. More transparent than my CJ preamp, more neutral too, timbre of instruments even more pure, yet the Premier 12 tube amps still give me that dimensionality, richness and density. It sometimes sounds like the best of both worlds I was looking for.

My tube pre-amp still does the "breath of life" thing better - there's a bit of an illumination in the upper midrange/lower treble, and also more "air" and a textural presence that tends to make the sound feel a bit more "live" in ways. Though with the right material the LA4 combo can sound shockingly clear and transparent.

So for instance a good Joni Mitchell recording: the CJ premp adds a bit of coloration making her voice a bit more dense, a bit more vivid tonally, and the slight added texture makes her voice cut through the air like she's "right in front of me singing." On the other hand, replacing the CJ with the LA4, there is a reduction of a slight grain and less brightening of the voice, it sounds more direct and pure, in it's own way, easy on the ears, and more of a "straight line" to hearing Joni Mitchell's real voice through the recording.

I haven't had my CJ premp back in for a couple of months, so I'll be trying it out again soon. I'm curious if I will prefer it over the LA4 - where listening to the LA4 will only enhance my appreciation of the CJ preamp. Or the opposite, that I may hear the preamp as "too colored" at this point and prefer the LA4.
    Dunno. Nice to have both options though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    hi_watt, timind, Tone? and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident Thread Starter

What wowed me was the timbre and timing of the LA4. Never knew a preamp could do that
    Would love to try some tube gear in the future

timind likes this.
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The major benefit of the AHB2 is how much power it offers, also those measurements wow. I've yet to hear a bad FirstWatt amp. I ended up preferring my Atma-spheres to the Benchmark for driving the Quads.

5. MattHooper

In my system, I can not realize the full technical potential of the LA4 preamp. The distortion levels of my CJ tube amps is too high. Benchmark said they essentially created the LA4 to take advantage of the phenomenally low distortion of their AHB2, and so it's really the combination of teh LA4/AHB2 that you at least technically realize the full dynamic range/low noise potential of those products (and I think you even have to use balanced interconnects).

So why use an LA4 in my system? Because I wasn't chasing ultra low (and possibly inaudible) levels of distortion. I was only cutting down some distortion in one part of the chain. In other words, the LA4 only had to better my CJ tube pre-amp in transparency, which it seemingly did. I love the combo of utterly clean source sound - absolutely zero grain or "veil," - yet still getting that special dimensionality and richness from the tube amps.

But, again, what the CJ preamp ADDS to the signal is also very, very attractive! There is a more realistic presence and density that I know I'm missing when the CJ pre-amp is out of the chain. And the CJ preamp is an awesome balance in of itself. As I mentioned, I'd tried various DACs directly driving my amps via volume controls, loved the clean clear sound, but lacked density and punch. The CJ Premier 16LS2 was the first preamp I heard that had an almost "DAC direct in to the amp" level of smoothness and clarity, WHILE retaining that beautiful realism-enhancing tone and texture CJ tube sound. Utterly addicting! The LA4 betters it in totally getting out of the way of the signal, but also sounds a bit "darker" than the CJ preamp. I like both preamps.

Tone? likes this.
  6. Tone?

Have you tried the AHB2?

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Today I cranked up the 16kHz band on the Schiit Lokius I have positioned between my LA4 and AHB2.

Along with the $250 Seas Excel tweeters in my A26s, it showcased the extremely low distortion of the Benchmark gear. Phenomenal.

8. MattHooper

No but based on my experience with other SS amps - e.g. recently with the Bryston 4B3 in my system - I'd be very unlikely to use it. At the level of those amps I'm unlikely to hear differences in distortion, and there's no reason to think the AHB2 would give me the fleshed out sound I like any more than the Bryston.

Tone? likes this.
  9. BIGGER Dave

I went ahead and added Neutrik NL2 SpeakON connectors to my speaker cables for connecting to my AHB2 as recommended by Benchmark. No audible improvement, may have a measurable improvement, but I don’t hear it.

From the Benchmark site…

“In our lab tests we have found that heavy-duty 40-amp SpeakON™ connectors consistently outperform spade lugs, pins, and banana plugs. The SpeakON™ connectors provide a reliable low-impedance connection that can withstand high-currents. Of the more traditional speaker connectors, we have found that locking banana plugs provide the next best connections. In contrast, spade lugs and pins often provide poor connections. Spring-type (non-locking) banana plugs almost always provide poor connections and should be avoided.

The Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier is so clean that poor speaker connections can easily create more distortion than the entire power amplifier. We have seen this many times in the lab. The effects of poor speaker connections can easily be measured when testing the AHB2 power amplifier. We have learned that we cannot accurately measure the AHB2 unless we use SpeakON™ connectors or high-quality locking banana connectors.”

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    timind likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've been aware of their claim of the superiority of Speak-On connections but I must admit I find it dubious. It doesn't make sense to me that the springs within a Speak-On connector make for a more reliable connection than the clamp force of a typical binding post onto a spade, or the tightness provided by locking bananas. I suppose the metal used in the Speak-On connectors could be slightly more conductive than a typical banana or binding post, but that would certainly be case dependent. It'd be nice if they'd explain the mechanism behind the lower distortion of the Speak-Ons.

11. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

why would you? the difference is below the threshold of hearing, so you wouldn't expect to hear it in the first place. They said right in the bit you quoted that it's important for measuring the amp.

timind likes this.
  12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

it's 'cause of the twist and lock design- it's not just the springs but how they're leveraged in the plug against the connectors with the twist design of the plug.
    really the big advantage of speakon is they absolutely 100% can't come loose on their own. the lower distortion of the connection isn't a huge difference, it's just nice to have. and really when people talk about this in relation to the AHB the point is that the amp itself is clean enough that even minor issues like the speaker cable connection type can be measured.
    not that y'all need to go out and buy ****in' speakon cables and talk about how they do/don't sound different in a subjective test :laugh:

13. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

AHB2 ain't got nuthin but

14. BIGGER Dave

Of course I didn’t expect to hear a difference. I was stating the obvious.

timind likes this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

I did the same with the same result. But I'm not much for hearing differences in cables to begin with. I do like the security of the locking mechanism though.

macster likes this.
  16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I bought some Cardas xlr/rca adaptors, works fine.

17. BIGGER Dave

Some of the PA speakers I have from my band days use SpeakON and some use 1/4” jacks (i.e. Switchcraft 280). The 1/4” plugs easily pulled out, and often at times you didn’t want them to (drunk audience people tripping over speaker wires, etc). The SpeakON addresses that issue. I always thought SpeakON connectors were primarily to guard against those type of embarrassing moments while performing for an audience. But if Benchmark thinks they’re sonically superior, even though it’s not audible to humans, then I’m fine with it. They’re only about $10 a pair.

Tone?, rednedtugent and timind like this.
  18. Tone?

Yeah I’m sure it’s a measurable difference but not audible.

timind likes this.
  19. 2Bad

2Bad Well-Known Member

I've been reading this thread on and off for the last couple of days and it sounds like a AHB2 will be in my future. It's been about 20 years since I've had a good 2 channel system... so it's time to save up my pennies now and get on with it.
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. :wave:

Cheers,
    - Bill -

timind, krambigmac, Tone? and 2 others like this.
  20. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Why do people even bother with this guy?! So many audiophiles are easily led these days. Setup a youtube channel, get a following, bingo you’re a golden eared guru! Ever see him actually use that measuring gear behind him? His iirc background is in sales… He’s no more an expert than anybody here.

timind and macster like this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Maybe the better question is why do any audiophiles bother with anyone’s opinion in any situation? We all hear somewhat differently. What makes Stereophile, Dagogo, or other YouTube reviewers more qualified than this guy?

I recently had the chance to compare the LA4 to a Marantz Model 7 tube pre and it held up quite well. In fact, the two had barely any discernible difference. I suppose my anecdotes should be dismissed though, because I lack a website, measurement gear, or the pretentious prose of Stereopile or PTA.

Halloween_Jack, timind and 5-String like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

As a contribution to this thread I listened seriously to the LA4 and AHB2 at AXPONA last Friday. Mono AHB2s were driving a pair Aretai bookshelf speakers.
    Home
    The sound was clean, neutral, powerful, punchy and dynamic. Then it hit me where I have heard this kind of sound before- good quality active studio monitors.
    Makes complete sense given Benchmark's pro background.
    While not for everyone, many people would be thrilled to have sound this good in their listening rooms.

23. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I really enjoy the Benchmark/ATC combo in my office. It is definitely a different sound than the main system downstairs, but that works for me.

A recent Darko podcast was talking about desktop office systems. He described his intent for building that system VS the intent for his main system. He said he wanted to listen more intellectually while he was working, and more emotionally when he was relaxing. That matches my intent too.

We can probably all agree that music has the power to put us in different moods and mindsets, so it makes sense that a system should be selected based on the use case and the environment it's intended to create.

I plan to add a HA4 to my AHB2 in the office system to take over preamp duties from the RME DAC.

timind and rednedtugent like this.
  24. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Very true!

25. Zzz

Zzz Well-Known Member

Just happened to see this thread and read all 11 pages! Lol
    First I have to say the lack of ( besides the brief dog sidebar - cute dogs btw…) the topic getting sidetracked or folks shouting was fully refreshing!
    I have a Benchmark AHB2 and a DAC HGC3 with a Dr Frieckert/ Hana ML , Sutherland phono pre and Harbeth SLH5 anniversary with Benchmark cables dac to amp and speaker.
    I absolutely am a huge fan of the sound I get. Dead quiet background, no color to my ears, no fatigue or brightness and detail with just plain old musicality in spades.
    As I sit now I’ve been listening for 5 hours and if I didn’t need to get up early tomorrow I’d just keep digging out records.
    Thanks to everyone for the civil discourse and #tone? I find your enthusiasm bringing a smile to my face. We should all be so excited about this gear we get to spoil ourselves with!