Favorite Harvey Keitel Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Jan 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Haven't seen all of these but Bad Lieutenant is harrowing. I get post-traumatic stress watching that movie, so it must've tested his own constitution on some levels. He acted his guts out and went to some dark places there.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

As dark as it is, there's a laugh or two to be had watching ' Bad Lieutenant'.
    There's a scene where a couple of guys have been shot to death in a car and Keitel finds out there's a kilo of cocaine in the car.
    He hustles up to the crime scene, sticks his head in the car , finds the coke and sticks it under his coat. And then drops it in full view of everybody.

3. Wildest cat from montana

I'm guessing that the two words in the blanked parts aren't kissing and lips.

twicks likes this.
  4. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

My 2nd favorite actor, after Paul Newman. Probably have to go with Bad Lieutenant.
    I re-watched Blue in The Face just last night. (The sort-of sequel to Smoke.)

steelinYaThighs and GregM like this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

I love the whole inner dialogue between Keitel's character and the priest, starting from the beginning, about how you don't make up for your sins in a church, about the worst pain being spiritual. His performance blew me away and had that element of eternal pain running all through it.

"I solve problems, stay out of trouble you crazy kids, pretty please with sugar on top"...it's all just cliches. Good writers stay away from cliches but Tarantino can't come up with lines that resonate more deeply, so he embraces cliches. Keitel pulls it off, but it's not the greatest role. If you want to call it a Keitel move, though, fine with me. He and Tim Roth, and to a lesser extent Jackson are the draws for me.

NettleBed likes this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I would pick either Reservoir Dogs or Bad Lieutenant (I ended up voting for Bad Lieutenant)

FWIW, I loathe the Winston Wolfe sequence in Pulp Fiction. I think it's an overrated film in general but consider that subplot to be by far the weakest and an example of Tarantino's tendencies to not be able to leave well enough alone sometimes.

asdf35 and GregM like this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't see any mention of his role as the sympathetic cop in ' Thelma And Louise'.

GregM likes this.
  8. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Fingers.

"This is the Jamies, man! 'Summertime, Summertime!'--the most musically inventive song of 1958! What are you eating? Shrimp? Are you gonna tell me this song doesn't go with your shrimp?"--Jimmy Angelelli.

Keitel acts his a$$ off in this dark masterpiece, and puts in the performance of a lifetime. Tisa Farrow and NFL legend Jim Brown shine in key supporting parts along with a slew of familiar New York film actors.

Other Contenders:

- Taxi Driver, 76.
    - The Duellists, 77.
    - Bad Lieutenant, 92.

- siyt

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Reservoir Dogs.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

"Tarantino can't come up with lines that resonate more deeply"...probably time to leave this thread when one reads a line like that. Night.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  11. Brother_Rael

Depends on your perspective. For a humorous vignette within a film that is a series of vignettes, it stacks up decently. Totally improbable, but that's not the intention of the piece.

And Jackie Brown's the better film.

12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I don't want to say that Tarantino *can't* write lines that resonate more deeply, but he so often doesn't. The writing is his biggest weakness and bad writing hurts just about all of his films.

13. Wildest cat from montana

That's not my post despite it saying it is.

14. Brother_Rael

Thanks for the heads-up, happy to correct.

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Duellists and Blue Collar.
    Have to admit that I found Bad Lieutenant unintentionally hilarious. The more the grief was piled on, the more I couldn't take it seriously

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

He played "cleaners" for organised crime gangs in three movies that I know of. He's good as that type of character.

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

Why would that opinion upset you? Such lines as "look at the big brain on brad"...I can't think of any profound lines but maybe you can?

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It isn't profound but "I'ma get medieval on your a**" was hilarious and certainly entered the lexicon.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Easily Mean Streets for me. That rare movie that gets better and better every time I see it.

Ghostworld and GregM like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I thought his performance in Smoke was good, a different take than we usually get from him.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Forgot about Youth; also a different kind of role. The really cool thing is the chemistry between him and Michael Caine, you'd think they'd known each other all their lives

23. Brother_Rael

Greg mate, I can't help you with any of that, not that I was "upset" as you appear to think.

You don't like it, rate it, or whatever, that's fine by me. I'm happy to carry on with my love for this one and just as happy that you have next to none. No biggie. Can't all like the same thing.

GregM likes this.
  24. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

Bad Lieutenant.

GregM likes this.
  25. That's the way of the world

GregM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.