Why is Smiley Smile on vinyl so expensive?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Hall Cat, Jan 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member Thread Starter

I just looked at Discogs and Ebay and couldn't believe it

2. I told everyone you might be looking.

Combination, jicerswine, Dave and 4 others like this.
  3. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Even the green label Capitol reissue?

Dan

4. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Check out the Friends/Smiley Smile 2lp, still seeing some cheapish ones on Discogs

jicerswine and Hall Cat like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

6. Hall Cat

Even worse

7. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

It sold poorly so not a ton of copies were pressed, and even fewer mono copies which is the only true mix; the “stereo” is just phase shift, though it does fold to mono.

The LP copies still out there in the wild are few and far between especially when you factor in condition. It has become a sought after album. I recommend the AP mono LP. $40 but sounds great, and way better vinyl quality than the Brother/Capital vinyl of the 60s.

It’s my favorite BB album ever and its definitely hard to find a nice original mono press these days. My original is only G+ and I think I paid $10 for it ~3 years ago

8. Hall Cat

I guess it's been years since I've been actively going to used record stores. Back then, you could find a decent, listenable copy for 3 or 4 bucks

astro70 likes this.
  9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Record value has absolutely exploded. Even I’ve noticed it and I didn’t start buying records until about 2017. Its very hard to find anything at this point if you care about condition. If an original pressing isn’t a must, I forgot to mention the 1980 reissue on Capitol. I’ve heard its better than the original, probably cheaper than the AP at this point; I just checked and the AP seems to have gone OOP at least temporarily.

GentleSenator and Hall Cat like this.
  10. Hall Cat

1980 reissue is currently $39.99 at its cheapest:

The Beach Boys – Smiley Smile (1980, Vinyl)

astro70 likes this.
  11. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Ouch, $55 for shipping too! Seems you’re looking for a copy at the wrong time! Yeah I’m not really sure what other pressings would be out there. Is that two-fer mono does anyone know?

Hall Cat likes this.
  12. Hall Cat

I'm gonna look into the two-fer. I could use Friends as well

13. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I have the AP as well and can attest to its excellent sonics. I also have an original Canadian pressing on Capitol which I bought decades ago still sealed from a variety store. It doesn't sound nearly as good as the AP. I am keeping it right now for sentimental reasons as I remember a long walk home after the purchase through a large city park.
    @Hall Cat, you're probably wise to look for the 2-fer.
    However, if you're at all interested in my Capitol, start a conversation. I'm not planning to gouge you on it!

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have a green label. I paid 20 bucks a couple years ago for it when I wanted an upgrade for a beat up fake stereo original. It was 20 then but I figured I'd better get it sooner than later.

GentleSenator, astro70 and Hall Cat like this.
  15. Hall Cat

Thanks, I just bought the twofer last night

Adam9 likes this.
  16. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I would be curious to know if what you get is true mono or phase shift stereo. Might be kind of hard to tell unless you have a mono switch, but I know Pet Sounds was reissued in twofer form in mono even in the 70s instead of duophonic. I would hope they did SS the same courtesy, but maybe not?

17. Hall Cat

I'll report back

astro70 likes this.
  18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The AP Mono and Stereo are back in stock... I recommend grabbing the mono for sure even if you've already got a copy. It's very good.

19. thomas1973

thomas1973 New Member

Couldnt a proper remix of the stereo and mono masters sound any better?

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

What do you mean? You can't remix a mono master. The stereo was done well. The AP reissues are the probably the best these will ever sound.

21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I didn't realize they became valuable. I have two original Brother label Mono's in VG+ condition.

And due to all this talk I just won a mono green label Capitol reissue of Wild Honey on ebay.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A lot of LPs which were $5 to $10 LPs about ten years ago have skyrocketed. Reissues that use original album artwork are the biggest jumps in value.

Chess on MCA reissues from 1987 era, and OJC Jazz reissues from Fantasy especially the early to mid-80s copies. The OJCs reissue series was less desirable to me for sound quality compared to the fantasy Milestones 2-fers, as I liked the 70s analog cuts sometimes with RVG in deadwax. But the OJCs because they are now considered vintage pressings and have the nice original cover reproductions are going for $35 to $85 when in top condition. I cleared out most all of mine early this year on Discogs.

The Chess (1987) LPs I figured are peaking, and mine were in top condition with gold promo stamps on back covers. Blew them out as well.

I won't miss these albums as I have them in other formats and sometimes there are nicer pressings that came later of the OJC material. Chess is another matter, those tapes burned up in the Uni fire. But still, they were reissues and not that rare.

chazz101s likes this.
  23. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

$2000 worth of hashish.

24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Quicksrt is correct, a lot of 5-10's have gone way up. Expect Stevie Nicks and 80's and albums that haven't blown upwards to go higher. What I saw in people's hands at a jammed Denver record convention last week blew my mind, expensive commons and most of the dealers had high prices which was never the norm here for a few decades. Blame the internet. Smiley Smile was pretty common for years original and the 2-fer was a $3.99 cut out all over. Hard to believe green label issues get money now. Deep and thick for under $5 for years new. Well, $2,000 worth in Brian's living room recording it, and the pool, more than John Phillips' living room, well maybe not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.