Bruce Willis diagnosed with aphasia, retires from acting. Updated diagnosis frontotemporal dementia*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 30, 2022.

1. I wish him the best care possible. This is a horrible condition.

2. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

So very sad to hear, I hope all will be well for him. Loved him since Moonlighting.

Gorgeous, funny man, so many great films and such a great harmonica player too, be well dear Bruce.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Too young for what?

I just read that people can "kind of" recover from Aphasia with therapy (though not a guarantee) and it's not going to kill him. I would think that Bruce Willis could get the best medical treatment in the world, and it's been intimated that he will be surrounded by family and friends.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You're not alone. A few years ago, someone here--I forget who--told me that's one of his all-time top 10 albums.

scobb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Someone somewhere thinks 'The Blues Brothers' is the greatest album ever.

scobb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I talked to that guy too, but I was saving it for a Dan Aykroyd thread.

Drifter, scobb, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  8. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Well, he *was* taking every available paycheck. He was filling up the coffers to support his family and likely other relatives, friends, employees in the coming years. Robin Williams also said yes to seemingly anything in the last few years of his life. I don’t know how long after he (Robin) been diagnosed that he checked out, but it would make sense.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

longdist01, EVOLVIST, Dubmart and 2 others like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Nobody ever deserves such a challenge to their golden years such as this. But, one can at least feel like he is better supported than most, to face the coming battle in the best of care.

11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Among other good Bruce flicks I am particularly fond of Hudson Hawk, which in many ways, is terrible and great.

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I was sort of wondering about him since he has been in a lot of low budget movies over the past few years when he is usually the A-list actor. These movies while not terrible were certainly a drop in quality from what he usually did. I'm surprised and shocked to hear this since I am a fan of some of his films and acting. I hope he can beat the odds and at least live a fairly normal life and retirement. I worry about myself too since I have been taking Benzodiazepines for the last 33 years and I have some of these symptoms myself which is a known hazard of taking these drugs. I wish Bruce the best.

MikaelaArsenault and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Man….he wasn't the best actor but he had that glint in his eye. I was looking for a different clip but this will do

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'll raise you this:

and I read somewhere that he was sick as DOG all week the ep filmed--fever, chills, exhaustion

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It makes sense now about his choice of projects in recent years. It's given him the opportunity to put away funds for his family and employees.

Bruce filmed IN COUNTRY in my hometown of Paducah. He and Demi (their daughter Rumer was born there) rented a house behind the grocery store were I worked. I had several interactions with both of them, and they were cordial and very low key.

krock2009, 905, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  17. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I'm saddened to hear this news about an actor who has given me a lot of good entertainment for a long time. From the very first episode of "Moonlighting" all the way until a few years ago, he's given a lot of very good performances. In the 1980s, no one did "cool" on screen better than he did. In the 1990s, he began to grow as an actor.
    In the years after that, he seemed to alternate between being a serious actor and being a movie star. When he was good, he was as good as ever. When he was bad,
    he was really bad. And when he returned to television with a guest starring role on "Friends", he did some nice work.

I wish him well as he retires from public life.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, the slew of Willis direct to video movies of the last few years really were/are terrible.

That's not on him. Willis never did anything to help these movies, but the movie were really bad period.

19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The "Reluctant Hero Extraordinaire", as I call him, leaves behind some great movie roles. Pulp Fiction and the first Die Hard come to mind, but others here have and will mention others that will refresh my recollection. I hated Moonlighting at the time (based on what little I saw), so I was surprised how engaging he was in Die Hard. Maybe I need to watch some episodes, though I'm not sure if they are on regular TV now. I always liked his WTF look (among others).

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead.

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Sad news to read today about Bruce Willis, he was in some great and fun films...Thank you for all your artistic and creative musical gifts on stage and screen. Hope you can find comfort with your family, friends and loved ones for the many years of good health you have left!

23. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Bummer all the best Bruce.

24. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

As others have said, to anounce it publicly means it's unlikely to go away. He'd have been exploring options for recovery before deciding to retire. I don't care how well looked after someone is, this level of loss is devastaing for the sufferer and their family.

MikaelaArsenault and Pizza like this.
  25. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I love “Hudson Hawk” didn’t Bruce co write it.

I saw Bruce and his band in Londons’ “The Forum” in Kentish Town many years ago, his wife Demi was there and stood right by me, she looked beautiful. I wrote to Bruce when he was filming “The Fifth Element” and he sent me a signed photo “Tina, best, Bruce Willis”

“Moonlighting” can still be viewed on YouTube, full episodes, they are still as funny today. David and Maddie were hilarious.

Sad that he won’t be making anymore movies and I suppose won’t be playing with his band but we have many films to choose from.

I wish him well.