The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Did the Dead play any Hornsby covers when he was with them? Fairly certain the answer is no, but man, hearing them add their unique brand of magic on Mandolin Rain would have been something!

US Blues likes this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes, they played Valley Road a few times. I saw one in Denver, 13 Dec 1990- Big Mac.

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

They also did another one...The Stander? The Watcher? He Who Stands and Watches?

As I recall, they didn't do them very well...

4. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Today's the first really warm day of the year here. About 80F so far and I'm sitting in the sun, drinking too much coffee, and listening to 2/26/77. Just getting started but I love this version of Sugaree.

notesofachord, Al Gator, SJR and 8 others like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Is the Olympia Theater vinyl set from last year have a booklet? I’ve just looked in mine and it hasn’t but I can’t imagine for a second I’ve lost it

6. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I think just this double sided insert.
    [​IMG]

audiotom and Paperback Writer like this.
  7. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

Good call.

SJR likes this.
  8. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Stander on the Mountain.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Hornsby did The Way It Is with the Other Ones in 1998. I don't know how involved the former GD members in the group were.

frightwigwam and uzn007 like this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Don’t have a clue where mine has gone then. How strange

11. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The Valley Road: 6 times 10/22/90 - 12/30/90
    Stander on the Mountain: 3 times 10/28/90 - 12/3/90

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

14 May 1974- Adams Field House, University of Montana Grizz

Big Sky Dead.

13. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Haven't listened to this in a while -- just threw it on - the drums jump out, sounding great - "Oh, Stanley" (now, I have the Roper's on my mind)

14. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I'm working on it.

15. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Sorry another vinyl question from a live dead vinyl newbie

I had the Fillmore West Feb 28th vinyl box and found the Feb 27th and March 1st vinyl boxes out in the wild this and last weekend!

Have the four 72 Euro vinyl “boxes” volumes I II RSD Wembley and Olympia - what got me started
    Dick’s Picks 19 and Light into Ashes (killer improvs only
    Reckoning, Skull and Bones, Live
    All really sound great

And have the Euro 72 London Lyceum 4 show lp box on order

Of the other most recent releases I have CD boxes of PNW 73 74, St Louis Listen to the River 71-73 and Get Shown the Light 77
    I don’t have any of the single show lp releases

The other night I was playing the Seattle PNW 73 show and all of a sudden realized that PITB did some heady diversion and wow it clocked in at 45 minutes. I see on discogs they did that PITB performance for RSD on one lp!

I can tell your future, look whats in your hand

Any suggestions on other vinyl to purchase?
    Stellar sound is high on the list as is some great spacey stuff and tight performances

The older vinyl box set releases I have been looking at command some sticker shock prices.
    All the better to get some of the newer ones or next releases as they come out

Thank you

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They should’ve honored Vince being new in the band and played “White Punks On Dope.”

gdpeck, Billy_Sunday, uzn007 and 8 others like this.
  17. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Portland 5/19/74 should still be relatively cheap and if you can get past some mix issues on the first 2 LPs, it’s a terrific box.

Crispy Rob and audiotom like this.
  18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Definitely get Fillmore West 3/2/69 when it comes out next year to complete the run.

gdpeck, uzn007, notesofachord and 2 others like this.
  19. Steely Don

Steely Don Forum Resident

Your gonna get a lot of good answers on this

I’ll chime in on any of the “Vault” boxes from Light in the Attic, Dicks 36 9/21/72 Spectrum (my copy is absolutely perfect in pressing and sound) and the RSD 11/18/72 Houston 2LP from a few years back

20. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

1987/03/27 Hartford, CT (Dave's Picks Volume 36) Another high energy show, hot TMNS. Second set just getting started with Touch of Grey. Both shows are really fun listens. Based on what I've heard, it seems like post-coma Brent era has better sound and sound a lot more muscular compared to pre-coma.

[​IMG]

21. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm finishing up my listening of the Fillmore West 1969 box this evening. It had been way too long since I'd given these shows a proper listen, and holy cow they're great.

22. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I just put in the cds
    This went for $85 with no bids last week on ebay, relisted and went for $120 with 6 bids

ARK and Gratefully Deadicated like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This morning’s listening is Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 3: Fillmore East, New York City, NY, 15/05/70.

[​IMG]

Actually, this might take all day as it’s a mammoth trip through both acoustic and electric sets of the early and late shows played at the Fillmore East on May 15th, 1970. In between the Dead sets, the New Riders played. Also, John Dawson and David Nelson sat in on a couple of tunes in the acoustic sets.

When this Road Trips volume was released, it was billed as a 40th Anniversary celebration of Workingman’s Dead.

Much like Dick’s Picks #8 — Harpur College, this is essential. One massive long highlight.

Throughout the two sets, the Dead swing from gentle, sittin’ round the camp-fire strumming-folky Americana, to wild and frenzied bluesy-psychedelic acid-rock; this is perfect—a phenomenal, mind-blowing performance.

“Pigpen on organ; from Atherton, California, this is Mr. Robert Weir; from Marin Junior College, Mr. Philip Lesh; from 710 Ashbury Street, Mr. Jerry Garcia; and on drums, the son of Lenny Hart, Mickey Hart”
    —Bill Graham’s introduction

Early Show: I (Acoustic): Don’t Ease Me In*, I Know You Rider*, (Ain’t It Crazy) The Rub*, Friend Of The Devil**, Long Black Limousine*, Candyman**, Cumberland Blues**, New Speedway Boogie*, Cold Jordan**.

II (Electric): Casey Jones*, Easy Wind**^^, Attics Of My Life**, St. Stephen* > That’s It For The Other One* > Cosmic Charlie*.

E (Electric): New Minglewood Blues*.

[​IMG]

“Now now kids, don’t fight”

Late Show: I (Acoustic): Deep Elem Blues*, The Ballad Of Casey Jones*, Silver Threads And Golden Needles*, Black Peter*, Friend Of The Devil*^, Uncle John’s Band*, Candyman***, She’s Mine*, Katie Mae*, A Voice From On High*.

II (Electric): China Cat Sunflower* > I Know You Rider*, Cumberland Blues*, Hard To Handle*, Beat It On Down The Line**, Morning Dew*, Good Lovin’* > Drums* > Good Lovin’*, Dire Wolf*, Next Time You See Me**, Dark Star* > St. Stephen* > Not Fade Away* > Turn On Your Love Light*.

E (Acoustic): Cold Jordan*.

*on RT 3.3.
    **on RT 3.3. Bonus Disc.
    ***missing from this Trip.
    ^also released as a Bonus Track on American Beauty (2001).
    ^^also released on Fallout from the Phil Zone.

[​IMG]

1970/2010 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GRA2-6016

“Wait a minute!” … there’s also some bonus tracks from the night before on this release—the absolutely electrifying, f u c k i n g insane 2nd set closing sequence New Speedway Boogie > St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > Turn On Your Love Light from Meramec Community College, Kirkwood, MO, 14/05/70. An astonishing, invigorating 45-minutes. Dig the Nobody’s Fault But Mine Jam through New Speedway Boogie and lookout for Pig’s impassioned, enthusiastic shoutout to the boys in blue during the wild and frenzied climax—great googly-moogly, it’ll put hairs on yer chest! Whoa!

“Aaaaaahhhhh … f u c k the pigs!!!” …

Meramec Community College, Kirkwood, MO, 14/05/70:

I (Acoustic): Don’t Ease Me In, Friend Of The Devil, Deep Elem Blues, Silver Threads And Golden Needles, Candyman.

II (Electric): Casey Jones, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Mama Tried > High Time, Drums > Good Lovin’ > Drums > Good Lovin’, Good Mornin’ Little School Girl, Me And My Uncle, Dire Wolf, Cold Rain And Snow, Attics Of My Life, Cumberland Blues, New Speedway Boogie** > St. Stephen** > Not Fade Away** > Turn On Your Love Light**.

E: Cold Jordan.

**on RT 3.3. Bonus Disc.

[​IMG]
    1970/2010 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GRA2-6016

24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

So I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. :nyah: Someone posted a comment over on Light into Ashes' website in the Early Thematic Jams post (there's a long discussion that includes some discussion about the Tighten Up/Soulful Strut jam as well as other jams; several of us have commented there). He or she claimed that the jam is A Maj7 G Maj7, and not A Maj7 B min. When I saw that I tried it out just on guitar and thought they might be on to something, but in putting the 5/2/70 version on, I can see where one might (erroneously) conclude that. Jerry's playing the figure high up the neck and and some of his voicings from chord 1 to chord 2 have a clear whole step downward component; hence the conclusion that it's A Maj7 G Maj7. However, the G natural just doesn't work, so what we're hearing in that particular version just after it starts at 6:52 is A Maj7 to B min (in 1st inversion).

The poster correctly notes that G Maj7 and B min have nearly the same notes:

G Maj7: G B D F#
    B min: B D F#

The problem there is that the one different note, G natural, just doesn't fit at all over what they are doing and Jerry's use of inversion tricks the mind into concluding that something must be true even when it isn't.

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m becoming worried you’ve been infected with the infamous @bzfgt syndrome. Though not all hope is lost, as at least you got the city right. It’s just the numbers are wrong. ;)