New Beth Orton album WEATHER ALIVE to be released on 09/23/2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 31, 2022.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

From Facebook:

My new album, Weather Alive, will be released on September 23rd via Partisan Records. You can listen to the title track, watch the music video directed by Eliot Lee Hazel and Aron Alan Mitchell, and preorder the album here: Beth Orton - Weather Alive

In the pauses, between the critical voices. In the empty hours when I wasn’t sure of much anymore I wrote some songs. I sat at a piano and I sang to the resonance. With the sensitivity and support of some beautiful collaborators I turned these songs for no one into songs that I hope will sing to many. I went deep and it might take a minute but keep listening and I hope what came to me finds its way to you. Love, Beth

The title song:

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Alright. Will give her new stuff a listen. I liked the sugaring season album if that's right. She set a superhigh bar for me with the Central Reservation album. Which I listened to this month. Tremendous piece of work. Made my ;) Top 20 Greats list.

3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Not bad, sounds like a Sugaring Season song. It's not something that bowls me over right away, unlike "1973" from the last record. But a new Beth Orton album is always a good thing.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

Was there an album after Sugaring Season? Sorry, I have a few of her albums post CR too and like them too to varying degrees. Wait, iirc 1973 is on Sugaring Season. Geez. Sorry for the fuss! Will revisit more of her catalog awaiting her new album!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yes, "Kidsticks"

pghmusiclover, frightwigwam and dee like this.
  6. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yeah, Kidsticks, which includes "1973". A lot more electronic than Sugaring Season.

frightwigwam and dee like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. I had that on vinyl too. With Sugar and CR. I liked some of Kidsticks. I think I've actually heard almost all of her albums now that I think about it!

8. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Including "Superpinkymandy" ?

CaptainFeedback1, Percy Song and dee like this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

I have some Sam Phillips catching up to do. I know she had started doing online releases from her site starting years ago and I've misseed some of them. Me and a friend were playing Omnipop and Boot and A Shoe. She has so many good songs. Her and Beth are two of my favorites.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Oh I don't know :) sometimes I don't keep track of the titles nowadays. If I don't make it a priority ;).

11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I like the title track very much... I will definitely be purchasing the new album... glad she's back!

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Incidentally, below is the album cover and the tracklisting:

[​IMG]

01 Weather Alive
    02 Friday Night
    03 Fractals
    04 Haunted Satellite
    05 Forever Young
    06 Lonely
    07 Arms Around a Memory
    08 Unwritten

13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Can’t wait. The title track sounds brilliant.

14. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Looking forward to it. Been a fan since Trailer Park.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  16. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Saw Beth live in Boston while she was promoting Trailer Park back in the day; she was a revelation. Not "hearing" the title track of the new album yet, but I'll give it time; Beth said it would take a while to get into, so I'll take her at her word.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  17. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

I heard Superpinkymandy shortly after I got my own copy of Trailer Park; I thought her cover of John Martyn's "Don't Wanna Know About Evil" (produced by William Orbit) was brilliant. Still do, in fact...

18. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

dee and villiers terrace like this.
  19. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Trailer Park was a bit of an eye catcher for me, as she looked a lot like my g/f. Who is my wife of 26yrs now.

(They are quite similar in a number of ways - same age, height, etc...)

cathandler likes this.
  20. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

You’re welcome - now only 25 left.

21. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

24 left :righton:

villiers terrace and dee like this.
  22. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Greenalishi and frightwigwam like this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

I have to try harder with that one. A lot of her fans think very highly of it and I haven't listened to it all that much or often.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Have to listen very closely to the vocals on the new track. I like that instrumental section near the end of the song and the sound of the song. An interesting track. Creepy good. Sounds close to classic Beth Orton. Peaceful and comforting yet haunting and 'disturbing' - definitely got spooky. Spooky good.

25. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

A terrific record! Something - I don't know what - prevents it from being re-issued.

pghmusiclover likes this.