"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I would certainly disagree with /dolly
    Just the fact we know they've had work done shows it didn't work.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

When was the film completed.
    This year, last year?

3. alexpop

Will RCA/BMG/Sony be releasing any new Elvis Presley albums this year, comps - boxsets?

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Never could put it together like this but agree with you.

"The Beatles and The Beards and... whatever..."

garyt1957 likes this.
  5. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I think that's a really good point

Dudley Morris and RSteven like this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

He expressed himself through song, and no one ever did it better.

7. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I was going to mention that too. They really did a good job making him sound witty and fairly knowledgeable on the Singer special if you listen to all the dialogue as I know we all have. Lots of editing done there.

MRamble likes this.
  8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Fantastic portrayal of Elvis. The film is well worth watching.

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I cannot believe the amount of promotion and marketing for this upcoming film I've seen in the past few weeks. We just saw the last trailer once again in last nights prime time MasterChef show with Gordon Ramsay. We are getting ready to watch Austin on Kelly Clarkson's show. Here is a nice paragraph from Mojo Boxscore below. Rotten Tomatoes score is actually up to 82% with 169 critic reviews.

The good news for the $85 million budgeted film is that critics are taking to it. At 79% on Rotten Tomatoes, it is Luhrmann’s best reviewed film since his debut Strictly Ballroom 30 years ago, and the musical melodrama is getting praised for its high entertainment value (there was also the film’s 12 minute standing ovation at Cannes). The word-of-mouth could propel Elvis through the summer, especially if some of the music, old and new, can catch on outside of Elvis’ core fanbase. The film contains a few dozen of Elvis’ classic songs, incorporating both the original recordings and vocals from Butler, but with Baz Luhrmann at the helm you can be assured this isn’t your parents’ (or grandparents’) Elvis. The soundtrack features covers and original songs from artists including Stevie Nicks, Chris Isaak, Jack White, Diplo, Doja Cat, Eminem, CeeLo Green, Jazmine Sullivan, Kacey Musgraves, and Tame Impala.

Shawn likes this.
  10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Too bad the NPR review doesn't have a comment section on its page.

Actually probably for the best.

artfromtex, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  11. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I dug her in Taxi Driver and Moonlighting, but always found it annoying that she had to let everyone know that Elvis wouldn't perform you know what on her

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It's been well documented the hold that Parker had over Presley, and also the lengths to which Parker would go to keep others from getting too close to Elvis. In his autobiography, Jimmy Webb talks about meeting Elvis in his hotel room several times in Vegas and discussing doing an album together. After a couple of meetings and everything going great, Parker informed Jimmy that he wouldn't be seeing Elvis anymore. It's almost enough to make you weep to think of what a whole album of Elvis produced by Jimmy Webb would have been like. "Honey Come Back" is as perfect a song I can think of Presley doing.

There's also the incident in '73 where Presley attempted to fire Parker, but Parker took him into a room alone and Elvis came back out a totally different person (it's been said that Parker presented Elvis with a bill for monies owed). Keep in mind that Parker took 50% of Elvis' earnings and 56% of Boxcar, which was Presley's merchandising division. It's also been said Parker kept Elvis on the endless tours to cover Parker's gambling debts.

jeremylr, garyt1957, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  13. jwoverho

When Elvis connected emotionally with a song and gave back that emotion to the listener, he was as good as an interpretive singer as anyone that's ever picked up a microphone.

Here's a quote from Phil Spector in a 1969 Rolling Stone interview:

"He's a great singer. Gosh, Elvis is so great. You have no idea how great he is, really, you don't. You have absolutely no comprehension—it's absolutely impossible. I can't tell you why he's so great, but he is. He's sensational. He can do anything with his voice."

laf848, garyt1957, Spencer R and 3 others like this.
  14. 80steen

80steen John McClane

When did Elvis go into detail when talking about anything? Well, 1962 is the only time I'm aware of. People forget he was a simple country boy. It wasn't part of his personality to elaborate, unless he was messed up on stage and boring his fans with his ramblings. However, if you want to hear the most real and in depth Elvis ever recorded for an interview, this from 1962 is a good as you'll get.

jeremylr, garyt1957 and artfromtex like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I want to thank @GillyT for tuning me onto Mark Kermode and his podcast partner, Simon Mayo. Mark's audio review of Elvis is priceless. He came into the movie as a total Elvis fan and he was worried that they would not get it right. From the very opening live scene, he says that Austin Butler seem to possess the sprit of Elvis. He also thought the script was both "literate and adventurous" in just the right ways. This guy is highly intelligent and they both have a great sense of humor. He called his partner right away after seeing the film, "It's fantastic!" His review of the Elvis film comes near the end of the podcast and it lasts about ten minutes. I highly recommend listening to this podcast. They just gained a lifelong fan. I was able to listen to it on Amazon Prime.

Kermode & Mayo's Take on Apple Podcasts
    https://podcasts.apple.com › podcast › kermode-mayos-...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    GillyT, alexpop and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

He was raised impoverished in a time where I'm sure even high school eduction was rare, and I doubt he even had one.

He doesn't strike me as an idiot but extremely naive, stubborn, and a rube. He put his trust in people that didn't have his best interests at heart and was taken advantage of.

I imagine growing up as poor as he did and becoming a superstar overnight affected financial decisions he made. Also not having adequate legal representation, lavish spending, and too many outside influences did him no favours.

17. jwoverho

I found it pretty extraordinary that Vernon decided against objections to have the funeral at Graceland and open the house and grounds to everyone who wanted to pay their respects. It's been estimated that up to 30,000 fans filed through the house and the main foyer to pass Presley's open casket. Graceland wasn't open to the public as it is now, so it must have been overwhelming for fans to have such an intimate moment in the home.

garyt1957 and RSteven like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh yeah, we are not getting the full soundtrack to stream. I knew I was going to absolutely love this remix called Don't Fly Away, which is actually a sublime remix of Suspicious Minds/Any Day Now. The first song everybody knows about, but the second fantastic song written by Burt Bacharach is a gem. Of course this does not replace the original versions by Elvis, which remain two of my favorite songs Elvis ever recorded, but I think Elvis himself would have loved this remix/mashup of two of his best vocals ever.

Shawn, artfromtex, raveoned and 2 others like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you get a moment, please listen to the Let It Roll podcast with Alana Nash about her book about Parker. She hired an Army records researcher and found he went AWOL for a long period of time, was put in solitary confinement, had a massive psychotic break, and put in Walter Reed hospital.

When he's discharged, he gets an honorable one because they diagnosed him with "psychosis, psychogenic depression and a constitutional psychopathic state" thereby saying that he's not responsible for his conduct because he's so psychologically disabled.

The relevant part starts about 25 minutes in:

The Secrets Behind Elvis Presley's Relationship with Col. Tom Parker - Let It Roll

Shawn, garyt1957, GillyT and 2 others like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

One more terrific remix of a classic. If this does not connect to the younger generation, I don't think anything will. To think that a young 20 year old black man is rapping along to Elvis's In The Ghetto is pretty cool. I am very picky when it comes to rap music, but I like this a lot.

Product Of The Ghetto

Shawn likes this.
  21. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

This is just judgemental bullish!t. Fact is that monsters don't look like monsters. They're charming and very, very convincing. Ask any criminal lawyer and they'll tell you how hard it is to spot a sociopath. Education, or a lack of it has nothing to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  22. alexpop

Any day now…Elvis ? Be seeing it in a few hours…Lordy Lordy!!!
    Past couple of years ( Covid ~ whatever)it’s been a cinema bleakness, nothings really floated my boat. I’m sure Elvis ( 2022)is going to rectify that.

RSteven likes this.
  23. alexpop

Surprised ( or maybe not surprised) Tom Jones didn’t invite Elvis on his TV show. Maybe it was discussed?

garyt1957 likes this.
  24. alexpop

See EP seventies Camden LPs ( if you can find a mint one) going up in price. Used to think the covers looked cheesy, now really like them .. lol.:)

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

He rehearsed it in 1970.

RSteven, Shawn and alexpop like this.