New box set: McCartney I II III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 17, 2022.

1. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

And, the CD version of the box is $40.00 on Amazon which is consistent with the cost of three individual CD’s.

2. CoffeePrep

CoffeePrep New Member

Ok then...let's assume they are all crap.

3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Why would we do that? lol

4. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

3 post all in this thread I smell a troll

kevintee likes this.
  5. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Okay, I have to admit - I wasn't all that stoked when I first saw this release announced. Like most people here I would prefer more archive collections - you know the ones.

But over the last couple of years I decided to buy the colored vinyl versions of the 70s albums (mostly Wings). And keep them sealed as a collectible. I also bought Memory Almost Full on standard vinyl, on a whim, when it came out. I don't play vinyl, so it was just as a collectible that I kept sealed. I had no idea the price would soar the way it has (look it up on ebay). Six months ago you could find the white vinyl version of Band on The Run all over the place for $30US. Tried to find one lately? I recently got the Wings Over America on 3 colored vinyl for $35US. Dang, I thought that was a steal.

For me there's a lot of nostalgia in rebuying these albums that I bought 40-50 years ago. And I figure if I get them for a decent price, someday I can get my money back (or my loved ones can) - they seem to hold their value or appreciate.

So, after initially saying "Nah, I don't need this", I talked myself into it. I don't have McCartney I on clear vinyl and I don't have McCartney II on any colored vinyl. That's 2 of the albums I would have eventually bought anyway. For a limited box set with colored vinyl, it doesn't seem like a bad price. It would be nice to know how limited it really is.

On a related note, I wasn't going to buy any of the archive sets when they were first announced, either. I figured I already had at least most of the music. Then I found the McCartney I deluxe set on sale for $35US. The book was FANTASTIC and I was hooked and all in. The rest, as they say, is history.

No regerts. (sic) ;)

leeroy jenkins, Sean, JDeanB and 5 others like this.
  6. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Well, he probably recently visited the All Things Must Pass uber box thread. ;)

Sean, Whoroger89 and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  7. bward

bward Senior Member

8. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

Yes:
    Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, Every Night, Teddy Boy...
    Coming Up, Temporary Secretary...
    Find My Way, The Kiss Of Venus, Winter Bird...

9. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

CD Japan unboxing:

Sean, Whoroger89 and Oyster Boy like this.
  10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

This is a very pretty set. I am a really big fan of the artwork on the slipcase.

Sargon likes this.
  11. manco

manco Forum Resident

I hum Maybe I'm Amazed, Every Night and Coming Up.

Sgt. Abbey Road and Sean like this.
  12. Whoroger89

Yep going to hunt around today at the local record stores to see if they got this

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Just received a promo email for this set from PM.com, and it mentions all three albums are available to stream in Dolby Atmos.

I don't have an Atmos set up but damn, reissue these albums with a blu ray containing a 5.1 / Atmos mix and that would be a must buy for me and many others, I suspect.

14. Whoroger89

That's pretty awesome

15. Whoroger89

Scored the black vinyl set at my local record shop for about $90

16. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

That's one more than me. I never even cared for the first one. :shake:

ARK and Bingo Bongo like this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I would have bought whichever physical release I needed to in order to get these surround mixes on disc. I can still enjoy it over Apple Music, but… toss a blu-ray into the one of the configurations. Or heck, release a blu-ray on its own.

daveidmarx, jl151080 and JDeanB like this.
  18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Same here. I am on Apple now, but do not see them in Spatial Audio. Listened to III for the first time in a while. Enjoyed it a lot. Listening to Driving Rain while I am at it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    jl151080 and supermd like this.
  19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

If you have a surround set up, what do you need to stream these in surround? An AV amp with a streamer built in?

paustin0816 likes this.
  20. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

An Apple 4K box is the only way, I believe.

supermd likes this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I have an Apple TV 4K (the only device I know of that can send the Atmos signal for Apple Music). I don’t know how Amazon Music or Tidal works. You may just need to use those streaming apps on something that connects to your AV receiver.

My Apple TV 4K is connected to my AV receiver, which I bought last year and supports Atmos. Now, I don’t have a full Atmos setup. I only have 5.1 (5.0 due to my sub dying), but my receiver is smart enough to understand the speaker setup I have and downmixes appropriately.

jl151080 likes this.
  22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I have a similar set up to you (5.0) and my Denon receiver will downmix Atmos mixes, but I'm not sure if the Denon supports Apps such as Tidal. I think I may be able to via Heos - need to look into that.

supermd likes this.
  23. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Listening in Spatial Audio now - interesting to hear some of those original McCartney tracks getting what must be their first remix in 50+ years? For II - Coming Up sounds weird - vocals very forward. Temporary Secretary is kind of groovy with the synth essentially rotating around your head.

As with most Atmos mixes I've heard for older albums - it's interesting to be able to hear some of the things buried in the mix a lot more distinct.

Just noticed that McCartney II has a [2011 Remaster] and a [2014 Remaster] which is curious. I suppose we should have suspected we might get these seeing as Wonderful Christmastime had a Atmos mix last year.

cmi, Elliottmarx and supermd like this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I bought an Apple TV 4K used on eBay for around $65, and it works great. That may be an idea for you.

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’ll post my thoughts more in depth after I’ve listened more, but it was interesting hearing the vocals on “Teddy Boy” being louder. They’ve always been a bit low in volume in the original mix, so hearing them at a louder level threw me off.

And yes, this is probably the first time most of these early 1970/80 tracks have gotten a second mix. I hope the mixer was a McCartney fan who got to revel in the privilege of mixing obscure stuff like “Momma Miss America” in Atmos. :)

Selteab likes this.